Home Main Category Personal Defense

Opinions wanted on best self-defense cartridge for 1911 .45ACP

2»

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,817 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Guess I need to shoot a pig with ball ammo. 
    That would be awesome.  Would love to see that experiment.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    104RFAST said:
    One advantage of the .45 is you don't need Nuclear tipped ammo. FMJ works
    just fine for me, although as long as I have the Nuclear tipped stuff I'll load
    the magazine with both. Some 1911's don't digest the JHP stuff dependably,
    my Kimber Ultra 11 in particular 

Have you had a conversation with Kimber about this?  I’ve had 7 Kimber 1911s go though my hands over the years and 4 of them are still with me including 2 UltraCarry models.  All of them have digested all sorts of HPs without a hiccup.
    I too have 1911's that digest all manner of SD ammo, my ultr11, not so much.
    Its still newish, less than 150 rounds so i'll feed it another 100 or so before I complain. The gun shoots very well otherwise,very accurate,if in the end it
    only works reliably with FMJ thats OK, after all its a .45
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,817 Senior Member
    104RFAST said:
    GunNut said:
    104RFAST said:

Have you had a conversation with Kimber about this?  I’ve had 7 Kimber 1911s go though my hands over the years and 4 of them are still with me including 2 UltraCarry models.  All of them have digested all sorts of HPs without a hiccup.
    Its still newish, less than 150 rounds so i'll feed it another 100 or so before I complain. The gun shoots very well otherwise,very accurate,if in the end it
    Thanks for your reply.  I’m always interested in these types of issues, just my personal quest to gain knowledge.  Would you mind me asking if the problems are with a particular ammo?  

My SD ammo choice for .45 is 185gr. Speer Gold Dots as I find that particular ammo works flawlessly in all my 1911s so I just get it in bulk confident that it will be eaten by all my pistols.  But I do know some bullet profiles are problematic for some guns so I always ask.

This ammo was the first I fired in my latest UktraCarry aquisition and I ran 3 mags of it without a hitch.  I’m followed that with a few hundred rounds of FMJ just to break in the pistol.   Its now loaded with them and in a drawer on my nightstand as one of my preferred CC options.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    I had a Colt 1911 that would choke on Cor-Bon with it's aggressive hollow point. That is until I polished the feed ramp. Now I can actually cycle it manually with empty .45 brass. Yep, empty brass.
    I would suggest looking at the feed ramp as a possible culprit. Just a suggestion.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    104RFAST said:
    GunNut said:
    104RFAST said:

Thanks for your reply.  I’m always interested in these types of issues, just my personal quest to gain knowledge.  Would you mind me asking if the problems are with a particular ammo?  

My SD ammo choice for .45 is 185gr. Speer Gold Dots as I find that particular ammo works flawlessly in all my 1911s so I just get it in bulk confident that it will be eaten by all my pistols.  But I do know some bullet profiles are problematic for some guns so I always ask.

This ammo was the first I fired in my latest UktraCarry aquisition and I ran 3 mags of it without a hitch.  I’m followed that with a few hundred rounds of FMJ just to break in the pistol.   Its now loaded with them and in a drawer on my nightstand as one of my preferred CC options.
    Spk said:
    I had a Colt 1911 that would choke on Cor-Bon with it's aggressive hollow point. That is until I polished the feed ramp. Now I can actually cycle it manually with empty .45 brass. Yep, empty brass.
    I would suggest looking at the feed ramp as a possible culprit. Just a suggestion.
    GunNut, I was shooting various JHP that I'v had for several years in a Tupperware  container,just says Winchester on the case.
    SPK, I polished the feed ramp out of the box before the first range trip.
    Took the Ultra to the range today with 185 gr+p FTX and some old Winchester 185gr truncated FMJ. Shot 50 rnds total, worked just fine. I use the FTX in 
    my nines, guess I'll buy some 185 gr FTX 's for the Kimber. BTW, I do have some 230 gr +p
    Gold Dots I may try next trip. Pretty expense shooting!! 

• pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    104RFAST said:

Number of years ago I called Kimber for advice on ammo for my CDP Pro II  response was 230gr FMJ.  What the gun was designed to utilize.  three military wars seem to bear that out.