Home Main Category General Firearms

6.5-06 A Square

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,737 Senior Member
I just received my last niche rifle, a custom 6.5-06 with a 26 in Shilen Match Light varmint Barrel. Now I need load date, dies and brass. I've used Lee dies and have been very happy with them. Alas I cant find them on their website. I will buy their 6.5 factory crimp die. Midway has RCBS dies and QC Brass but the brass is $40 per 20. I know I can form my own brass from 270, 25-06 or 30-06 but I have a quark, I like the correct head stamp.

What dies do you use? Where do you get your brass? What is your pet load?

I know.....Pics will be coming.
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    I found the QC brass on Grafs as well, $36 for 20. 

Is what it is. It's a boutique caliber. Buy 60 cases and store 40 of them. 

280 Rem isn't yet relegated to antiquity (yet), but I paid through the nose for some Nosler brass to always have some.  No regrets. 
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,737 Senior Member
    My short range rifle is a Savage 99f in 308. My mid range rifle is a Rem 700 in 280 Rem. This is my long range rifle. I have plenty of ammo and brass for the other two and I'm going to build a surplus for this rifle. First comes the equipment and supplies, then a load work up. This will take some time as I don't need pounds of different powders and bullets I don't want to shoot. My other two BGRs like Varget and SGKs. For those two rifles I only need one load. For this one I need two, one for varmint and the other for game up to deer.

Ya can't play golf with one club!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,531 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #4
    I use:

Winchester .30-06 Springfield Brass
    RCBS Dies
    140gr A-Max
    H4350

I’m so far off the reservation with my load that I’m getting .264 Win Mag velocities (or very close) with my 27” barrel. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,761 Senior Member
    Several set of dies available on e bay, and Lee will probably custom make a set. Give them a call!! I've always liked Lee dies!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,824 Senior Member
    If you think you can get by neck sizing only, I have a set of RCBS custom 6.5-308 dies needing a loving home.

Sako 
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,070 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #7
    I use Norma 25 06 brass [never had a 25 06 for any length of time and never will again so head stamp isn't a problem]
    Redding dies
    H4831 [so far]
    140gr amax
    cci magnum Primers

Mine shoots very well, if 50FPS slower than I'd Like, may move to H1000, then again I may not as the accuracy is there.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • SPQR70ADSPQR70AD Posts: 8 New Member
    edited July 2019 #8
    Freezer said:
    My short range rifle is a Savage 99f in 308. My mid range rifle is a Rem 700 in 280 Rem. This is my long range rifle. I have plenty of ammo and brass for the other two and I'm going to build a surplus for this rifle. First comes the equipment and supplies, then a load work up. This will take some time as I don't need pounds of different powders and bullets I don't want to shoot. My other two BGRs like Varget and SGKs. For those two rifles I only need one load. For this one I need two, one for varmint and the other for game up to deer.

a 280 as a mid range rifle??  I have a 280 with 26" barrel push a 175 ELD-X  with .690 BC more then 2800 FPS 98% as flat shooting as the 338 lapua with plenty of horse power for elk as far as you should be shooting at them
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    SPQR70AD said:
    Freezer said:

a 280 as a mid range rifle??  I have a 280 with 26" barrel push a 175 ELD-X  with .690 BC more then 2800 FPS 98% as flat shooting as the 338 lapua with plenty of horse power for elk as far as you should be shooting at them
    What's your rifling twist rate?

My Rem CDL 280 is a 1:10 and the highest "performance" bullet that'll stabilize in the 2800fps realm is the Berger 168gr Classic Hunter.  Wish it was 1:9.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers