Home Main Category General Firearms

Remington 700 year built?

JKPJKP Senior MemberPosts: 2,228 Senior Member
I've got a 700 chambered in (yes, I know) .270 Win and will likely be selling soon. I'm trying to determine the year it was built. I've googled it and the date code on the barrel is confusing since it looks like they reuse the letters.

The code on the left side of the barrel is BA. The serial number is A68611XX.

Any idea of year built?

Replies

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    Pic if it helps. 

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    Call Remington. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Call Remington. 
    Crazy idea! Just hopped on their website and a chat window popped up. Friendly guy named Bradley answered my question in about 60 seconds. January 1980.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    👍🏻
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Little hard to read, but heres a chart 

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    That's the chart that confuses me - A occurs 4 times for the year. Obviously I know it wasn't made in 1932 or 1954 but 1980 and 2003 maybe...

There's likely some other things that would date it to 1980 like the A that the serial number begins with or some of the rifle's build characteristics.

The chat feature on the website has me itching to date some of my other Remington stuff!
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,066 Senior Member
    JKP said:

Crazy idea! Just hopped on their website and a chat window popped up. Friendly guy named Bradley answered my question in about 60 seconds. January 1980.

If only I could do that to date my Howa 1500......
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    That's the chart that confuses me - A occurs 4 times for the year. Obviously I know it wasn't made in 1932 or 1954 but 1980 and 2003 maybe...

There's likely some other things that would date it to 1980 like the A that the serial number begins with or some of the rifle's build characteristics.

The chat feature on the website has me itching to date some of my other Remington stuff!
    Wood, bluing finish, apparent quality control, and sometimes barrel rifling twist rate are tell-tale indicators. 

Cool thing about the chat feature though. 
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #10
    My first 700 was a BDL made in 1981 but I have no clue what the SN was now. I have 2 more made in the early 2000s that had the old Walker Triggers. The .30-06 which I bought in .2007 was probably made in early 2006 because it has the old style Walker trigger, pre X Mark Pro, is G655XXXX. The .22-250 which was probably made around 2005 also has the Walker trigger and it's SN is F6269XXX. And the .243, which I bought in 2013 is RR154XXX.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited July 2019 #11
    JKP said:
    I've got a 700 chambered in (yes, I know) .270 Win and will likely be selling soon. I'm trying to determine the year it was built. I've googled it and the date code on the barrel is confusing since it looks like they reuse the letters.

Any idea of year built?

JKP said:

Any idea of year built?

JKP said:

Any idea of year built?

JKP said:

Any idea of year built?

JKP said:

Any idea of year built?

JKP said:

Any idea of year built?
    Looking at that chart, that guy Bradley was spot on. It has the same checkering pattern and stock shape as my 1981 model had. But Remington didn't change much for years in a row. How long did they stick with that Flor de Lis design? I think the design checkering i had stayed like that for almost 20 years. Never kick a sleeping dog. If it ain't broke don't fix it (I think Remington and a few others learned that lesson from Winchester). I think that was their motto. Anyway I loved that design.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited July 2019 #12
    snake284 said:
    JKP said:

Any idea of year built?

JKP said:

Any idea of year built?

JKP said:

Any idea of year built?

JKP said:

Any idea of year built?

JKP said:

Any idea of year built?

JKP said:

Any idea of year built?
    Looking at that chart, that guy Bradley was spot on. It has the same checkering pattern and stock shape as my 1981 model had. But Remington didn't change much for years in a row. How long did they stick with that Flor de Lis design? I think the design checkering i had stayed like that for almost 20 years. Never kick a sleeping dog. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I think that was their motto. Anyway I loved that design.