Home Main Category Clubhouse

Banned members, why and should they have been.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    The most toxic place I've ever encountered was the Florida Sportsman Fly Fishing Off Topic board. Man, that was one tough crowd. Maybe it's better now, but I wouldn't know...haven't been there for years.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,559 Senior Member
    Florida Sportsman or Fly Fishing Magazine? 

If the latter... its membership is greatly reduced. They had a split, and the other forum folks went to is bad.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Florida Sportsman.....the same group we used to share bandwidth with.

Mike
    N454casull
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #125
    The most toxic place I've ever encountered was the Florida Sportsman Fly Fishing Off Topic board. Man, that was one tough crowd. Maybe it's better now, but I wouldn't know...haven't been there for years.

Mike

One of the more pleasant forums I frequent is a prepper forum. Most everyone is courteous to the newbs and it isn't a bunch of conspiracy nut jobs. Mostly preparing for natural disasters, food preservation, and of course guns. There's even a chapter in the Northwest that has annual get togethers. Sharing tips on canning, dehydrating, hunting, fishing, gardening, shooting, etc. 

I'm one of the older members. The vibe is a bit different than I'm accustomed to. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

edited July 2019 #126

Mike
    Well, we shared bandwidth with both, so I wasn't sure.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I didn't know that. But, it was Florida Sportsman, for sure.

Mike
    N454casull
    I don't doubt you. I just don't want to comment further. 
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,931 Senior Member

Mike
    That’s when I joined. 

Interesting group. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,728 Senior Member
    Have been a member here for some time, about the time Jim Rice put up the picture of him pointing his gun at the camera. If I don't have anything constructive to say I may just read. Have no need to get into an confrontation with anybody and if it were to reach that point I am done with that thread.
    I have over the years deleted many responses before posting them, always read it one more time before posting. Sometimes you realize there is no real point. 
    I have enjoyed this forum for a very long time and will continue to do so even though there are people that are now gone that helped make it what it is today.
    All in all I think the mods do a pretty good job, it is one I don't want.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,267 Senior Member
    I remember the evening Zee first joined. DanJ was gone on another trip and it was just Bullsi & me minding the store.

We had a conversation about this new member in the mod cave, and we were both of the opinion that he was a 14 year old with no parental controls on his computer. But, we decided to give him the benefit of the doubt for a bit.

See how that works? ;)

Mike
    Yea. It took awhile to find out he is really a Carney who smells of cabbage.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,931 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #132
    In truth, this was my FIRST ever experience with a forum. 

Never before and only a couple other attempts elsewhere since have I ventured into the www and been vocal. 

It was a learning experience for me. modern technology and all. Being social. Walking upright. Communicating with words. 

It was tough. But, you folk were patient and taught me how to venture into that which is the www. 

Thanks. 

I think? 😎

Dan was a truly amazing and gifted leader. Earning and giving respect. None since have been such. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,070 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #133
    I was on Fly Fisherman forum, got banned after a guy posted that my wife was better off dead than with me living.  I'll never forget that person.  Last photo I saw of him, he was wearing a **** hat.  For that angry response,(including Flykuni and Wetdog) I was banned from the entire conglomerate.  G&A, included.  Thanks to Dan, I was reinstated here.  A lot of us were banned from FF forum, we formed our own response and we get along.

I think there is a lot of bitching and complaining here without a specified reason.  It's a general bitch by Diver and a couple of others, which dilutes it with just about every post that seem to be unsubstantiated complaints...complaints without anything to back them up exception opinion.

I've done my time in Purgatory.  I have no idea of what got Teach or Shu banned, didn't follow those threads, got a clue on Sam, who ignored warnings and posted links to his novel which was only sold on-line to a vanity press.  He had no chance of making the Big Show in publishing, but I liked Sam and Teach and maybe Shush, though I can't remember his posts.

Both Flykuni and to a lesser extent got savaged on the Drake website, (nothing to do with me) which is a bit more harsh than here.Very harsh, in fact.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,289 Senior Member
    Zee said:

It was a learning experience for me. modern technology and all. Being social. Walking upright. Communicating with words.

No flash orders :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

I like to give newbies the benefit of the doubt until they post something totally stupid, like the guy who wanted a gun for shooting big foot, or another who was a member of an elite mall security force who had special boots that allowed him to climb walls...

I'm still looking for that perfect Bigfoot gun...

Btw, you can borrow the boots anytime you want.
    ;)
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I really believe shush was hitting the sauce when he got banned. I'm not going to bring up what he was doing, but I will say it was completely out of character for him as I perceived him to be. And the answer he gave the mod when he was warned was like Suicide. I still can't believe he said it and I would think a man would have had to be drunk to say it.

I liked shush a lot but that incident was completely out of his character. I wanted to take up for him but there's no way I could have in good conscience. He flat out pulled the trigger himself.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,186 Senior Member
    Snake, that was exactly my thoughts at the time: Completely out of character for Shush, but it kept going on for days... *shrug*
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    New medication,... three day bender. Who knows.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Does any one think it's odd the the busiest thread(s) on here in a while has been this one?  
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Not odd at all. In fact, this was predictable. Everyone interested got to vent their frustrations, question past events, reflect on on their own behavior and the behavior of others. 

This has been the longest post in a long time that I've read every post. Some more than once. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,199 Senior Member

I remember the Florida Sportsman Fly Fishing Forum.  They were a snarky bunch, to say the least.  Some pretended that any trout less than 16 inches in length was a "dink".   Others seemed ok, though.  I think that Wild Gene (remember him?) was active there.  He always seemed like a good guy.  I have to wonder why he no longer frequents this forum.

As for the fly fishing forum, the one I remember was Fly Fisher 5, or FF5.  He went out of his way to insult people.  I don't miss him.  At all.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    Since Jerm decided it was a good time to out me I guess I'll go ahead and chime in to the discussion.  When I left I was asked by a few folks including the Admin of the site to just take a breather and come back.  I reached an agreement with conchoid that I would keep an ID that I could use anytime I wanted to come back and no one but himself would know who I was.  At the time I didn't know if I would miss this place or not and since then I have kind of figured things out.

When I took the job of moderator the parameters were very different and DJ and I had a chance to speak pretty extensively about the job.  He wanted his "posse" to be just an administrative squad to approve new Members and get rid of spammers and such so he could concentrate on running the site.  But he was very specific that any senior member interaction's SPECIALLY moderation that included censure or banning were to be left to him.  He told me in no uncertain terms that you can be one of the guys OR you can try running this place but you will never be able to do both.  As you recall he barely ever posted/participated and he never went to gatherings of any sort.  That was by design and DJ was a genius because to the rest of us he was the god of the Forum.  I never wanted to run this place, I just wanted to help DJ who I admired a lot, so when he asked I accepted.

When he suddenly passed and the administration of this site passed to the hands of the youngster that took over after him (some clueless dude, not sure if he's even with the company anymore) the shitty part of this job came down to the mods since the company pretty much took a hands-off approach to the day to day of keeping this place running smoothly.  So for the most part, and the other mods can chime in and tell me I'm wrong if they disagree, I was the most active Mod on this board and the brunt of the crap work quite frankly fell into my hands.

So this all happened while I have a wife going through cancer treatments, I changed jobs 3 times because I got fired from two companies for putting my wife before business, and having quite a struggle on all fronts of my life.  So instead of my forum "friends" being supportive and asking what was going on in my life, most of my "friends" here decided that whatever had made me "change" was just a good excuse to go after me and I became the relentless target of folks like CPJ and others.  My way of dealing with a lot of it was self deprecating humor which as Buffy found out (and I should have learned from him) around here leads to a never ending string of **** abuse some call fun.  And unfortunately my position of Moderator stopped me from defending myself or just telling you to go **** yourself to the offending parties.

Some here read some derogatory stuff I posted in the mod cave.  I was already in a pretty foul mood when I did and quite frankly I do not even remember half the stuff I posted there.  So if I offended anyone I truly apologize.  I should have just come face to face with you and spoke my mind.  I've never been one to talk behind other's back, though I know I have been the topic of such talk and speculation by many here.  But the double standard is Ok I guess.  In any case I'm sorry if I offended anyone and if you care to have an explanation behind anything you read PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

In any case, my life is now back in order and I thought I'd dip my toes in the pool again.  I like talking guns and I like sharing my finds with other likeminded folks and see what everyone else out there is up to and all their good deals that make me "hate them" all in good fun.  I won't moderate the forum anymore and I will not participate in any non-gun talk.  The slip I made in the Corvette thread convinced me that I do not need to be a part of foolish circular discussions.

So I'm here to talk guns and skip all the other nonsense that is quite unpleasant in this place.  I'll admire your toys, give some gun info/advice if called upon to do so and hopefully get some info/advice when I ask.

No more, no less.  Hope that's ok with you folks and if not there are a million other places out there and I do not suffer from lack of "friends".  It's all good.

Thanks

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

edited July 2019 #143
    Well, I for one am glad you're here GunNut. And I'm glad things are working out better for you in your own personal life.
    I will just say this, I like it here but as much as this place has become a sorta "Second Home", I would give it up in a heartbeat for my family. They come first. You did the right thing stepping away. But it looks like it's time to step back in again and let bygones be bygones.
    As for DanJ, I admired the man. He had a very senior officer demeanor about him. He wasn't your drinking buddy but I still felt like I would storm the gates of hell with him. That's called respect, he gave it freely and expected it in return.
    Damn hard to govern or administer anything without it.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,379 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #144
    I for one will say, it's been specially nice to have you back
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,331 Senior Member
    Don't think Jerm outed you - it was pretty obvious who you were after a few posts. 

Glad to have you back - I never had an issue with your moderating other than your propensity to get sucked into meaningless debates over technology with someone who seems to enjoy arguing. And the fact that you got your panties in a wad when I was a new member and suggested that a Kel Tec 380 wasn't as refined as the Ruger. 

It still isn't. 😀
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,070 Senior Member
    Once again, I missed the drama and the insults.  I don't  think I've ever dissed a moderator, but if I did, I was wrong. I've dissed a couple of posters, for which I apologized for doing.  Not because I was wrong, but because I resorted to personal attacks.

Dan was a good moderator, and so far as I know was the Marshall when I came on.  We had a spat about the 7.7 SPC, but nothing major.  I'm argumentative and opinionated, two traits I'm trying to improve.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    JKP said:
    Don't think Jerm outed you - it was pretty obvious who you were after a few posts. 

Glad to have you back - I never had an issue with your moderating other than your propensity to get sucked into meaningless debates over technology with someone who seems to enjoy arguing. And the fact that you got your panties in a wad when I was a new member and suggested that a Kel Tec 380 wasn't as refined as the Ruger. 

It still isn't. 😀
    If I did that I was an idiot.  Sorry, you were correct.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Diver43 said:
    Thanks.  And I’m going to be in Miami tomorrow for a few days.  I’ll give you a call brother!

Spk said:
    Well, I for one am glad you're here GunNut. And I'm glad things are working out better for you in your own personal life.
    I will just say this, I like it here but as much as this place has become a sorta "Second Home", I would give it up in a heartbeat for my family. They come first. You did the right thing stepping away. But it looks like it's time to step back in again and let bygones be bygones.
    As for DanJ, I admired the man. He had a very senior officer demeanor about him. He wasn't your drinking buddy but I still felt like I would storm the gates of hell with him. That's called respect, he gave it freely and expected it in return.
    Damn hard to govern or administer anything without it.
    Dan was a heck of a guy and in the short time I had with him he taught me a LOT!!!  Concho kid is actually a really nice guy.  I wish he was around here more but he is a very busy guy.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,379 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Diver43 said:
    Thanks.  And I’m going to be in Miami tomorrow for a few days.  I’ll give you a call brother!
    Please do
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    You've never dissed me Gene and I'm feelin' a little left out.
    ;)