Home Main Category Clubhouse

WIFI boosters

gunwalkergunwalker MemberPosts: 478 Member
Anyone have any experience with any of these? I see a lot of ads for "SuperBoost". Costs about $48. Hard to know if the reviews are genuine.
We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,391 Senior Member
    Do you mean an "extender"? I have a D-link extender that works pretty well - sets up a sub net in the back part of the house. (I prefer D-link over most other brands of networking stuff)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,252 Senior Member
    Most of them suck.  Stick to a “good” brands and avoid the cheap Chinese amazon $20 ones.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    Most of them suck.  Stick to a “good” brands and avoid the cheap Chinese amazon $20 ones.
    Yep - and my experience has been very good with D-Link. Netgear is "ok", but I avoid Belkin like the plague.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    I have had good results with Netgear.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Netgear is OK - I used to buy 5 and 10 port Ethernet switches by the dozen, and the Netgears would tend to "blow up" from line transients. I started making sure our users always had them plugged into surge suppressors, and that problem went away - but we switched to D-Link because they didn't have that problem (but I still made sure they were protected anyway), and our resident Linux geek had tested several brands and thought D-links were better for technical reasons I didn't - and don't - understand. That was for Ethernet switches, not anything else but I have continued to use D-Link for everything networking and haven't been disappointed.
    But I've never had good luck with ANYTHING with "Belkin" on the cover.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,252 Senior Member
    Before you spend money, assuming your wi-fi router is cable company provided, look at the label for model and serial number then google it for End Of Life status (EOL).  If it's more that a year or two old there is a good chance that it is at EOL and they owe you an upgrade, which they will never do until you call and tell them you need it.  That could make your need for an extender go away.  And I've had decent luck with D-Link and Netgear.  Both are in my "good" brand bucket.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,855 Senior Member
    gunwalker said:
    Anyone have any experience with any of these? I see a lot of ads for "SuperBoost". Costs about $48. Hard to know if the reviews are genuine.
    I have a question. Do you have dead zones in your house or do you live in a remote location? They're two different issues. Which one is it?

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    This post is being sent via my Cisco router...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    I use the Google WiFi mesh router system and have been very pleased. Mesh is the way to go...
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 478 Member
    SPK, there are dead zones. Or at least very weak zones.

We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,855 Senior Member
    gunwalker said:
    SPK, there are dead zones. Or at least very weak zones.

If you just need a signal repeater to cover dead zones in your house, there's quite a few options available. Do some comparison shopping and maybe even consider a dual band extender. They're not that much.
    Start here.

Dual band versus single band.

If you have time, read the review from my earlier post.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain