Home Main Category Clubhouse

Movie Rec

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,654 Senior Member
"Max", a light hearted family movie about a Marine dog whose handler is KIA in Afghanistan. Maybe "light hearted" isn't the right word, people and animals die but in an indirect, non-explicit way, but it has an upbeat ending. Picked it up in the bargain bin at Mal*Wart, but probably available online somewhere.
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,089 Senior Member
    I've watched it multiple times when it was running on cable. I like it.

Another one that I like that was pretty much panned by critics is, "I am number 4"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    If you like dog movies, you have to watch A Dog's Purpose. It should be in everyone's archive.
    Another good dog movie is Megan Leavey, based on a true story.
    A fun family dog movie I believe everyone would like is DreamWorks, Hotel for Dogs.
    A dog movie with a Christian message, The Stray -- based on a true story.
    Another dog type movie based on a true story is The Dog Lover.
    A few dog movies from the past that are still family friendly to watch: Where The Red Ferns Grow, Lassie: The Painted Hills and Behave Yourself (with a young Shelly Winters 😍)
    Family unfriendly: Cujo!

Other movies like Old Yeller, Rin Tin Tin, Lassie (tv show) you guys already know about.

Yes, I have Max in the archives.  😁
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    As long as it isn't "Old Yeller" - that movie makes me bawl like a baby!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    As long as it isn't "Old Yeller" - that movie makes me bawl like a baby!
    All movies that features the dog dying kill me. I can watch the hero die, his family mourn, or almost any human tragedy...kill the the dog and I’m wrecked. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

The other one is "The Green Mile". I've watched it twice. Both times it completely destroyed me. For about 2 days.

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I was recently listening to The Stand on audio...when Kojak the dog returned to Glenn... I almost had to pull the truck over. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

One of my favorites, both the book and the movie. Neat scene too where Kojak finds/helps Stu.

YAUSSD

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    If you like dog movies, you have to watch A Dog's Purpose. It should be in everyone's archive.
    Another good dog movie is Megan Leavey, based on a true story.
    A fun family dog movie I believe everyone would like is DreamWorks, Hotel for Dogs.
    A dog movie with a Christian message, The Stray -- based on a true story.
    Another dog type movie based on a true story is The Dog Lover.
    A few dog movies from the past that are still family friendly to watch: Where The Red Ferns Grow, Lassie: The Painted Hills and Behave Yourself (with a young Shelly Winters 😍)
    Family unfriendly: Cujo!

Other movies like Old Yeller, Rin Tin Tin, Lassie (tv show) you guys already know about.

Yes, I have Max in the archives.  😁
    You left out Marley and Me, and a couple of three cop movies featuring dogs (can't remember the names of them)...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Turner and Hooch (Tom Hanks), K-9 (James Belushi) and Top Dog (Chuck Norris).
    Not a dog movie but I get a kick out of Frank the Pug from Men in Black.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Turner and Hooch (Tom Hanks), K-9 (James Belushi) and Top Dog (Chuck Norris).
    Not a dog movie but I get a kick out of Frank the Pug from Men in Black.

Those were the three I was trying to think of...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    I read minds as a hobby. 😸

Those were the three big dogs movies around the same time. Turner and Hooch and K-9 were both 1989. Top Dog then arrived in 1995.
    The era of the buddy cop-dog movies.
    All fun movies.