Home Main Category Clubhouse

Guess we will be staying in Ohio after all...

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 10,125 Senior Member
Wife did a lot of grumbling over the winter after the move back from Florida. Even looked for jobs close to our house in Florida to no avail.

Put an offer in on a house tonite up here. Out in country just how I like. I foresee more grumbling about slow internet. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    You didn't really want to change your handle, did you...  :D
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    I didn't mind living in Florida. I hated working in Florida. The heat sucked as did the wages.......... 1/3 less than up north.

One thing I don't like about Trumps economy. Housing market is HOT. Houses are selling in a day for listing price or above. Saw two listed on a Sunday and they were pending before 5pm the same day.

We got screwed out of one house. Put in a full price offer around 3pm on a Friday. At 5:30 they called and said they had gotten one more showing for 6:00pm. They put in an offer over asking. Well yeah, if you tell them there is already a bid in they know to go high.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    I didn't mind living in Florida. I hated working in Florida. The heat sucked as did the wages.......... 1/3 less than up north.

One thing I don't like about Trumps economy. Housing market is HOT. Houses are selling in a day for listing price or above. Saw two listed on a Sunday and they were pending before 5pm the same day.

We got screwed out of one house. Put in a full price offer around 3pm on a Friday. At 5:30 they called and said they had gotten one more showing for 6:00pm. They put in an offer over asking. Well yeah, if you tell them there is already a bid in they know to go high.
    Did they let you counter-bid?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    jbp-ohio said:

Did they let you counter-bid?
    It was over priced at asking due to the market.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,762 Senior Member
    I understand your pain. The housing market here in Colorado Springs is totally nuts. California residents are moving to Denver in droves and what was a $170,000 home in Denver 5 years ago is now selling for ~$350K or more. So, a lot of longtime Denver residents are selling out, moving to Colorado Springs, and commuting to Denver for work.

Sounds good, unless you plan on staying put. I paid $190K for our house 3 years ago...on a fixed interest rate.  It's now valued at $270K,  due to property values being taxed on the latest "property value", and insurance has skyrocketed due to hail and the new "values". Our monthly note is almost 25% more than it was when we bought it. Even with a fixed interest note.

We could, of course, sell for a nice profit, but......we'd have to spend every dime of it to buy another equal.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,745 Senior Member

The housing market is a two way street.  We recently sold our house after being in it for two years.  In about a month, we had 3 or 4 offers.  By law, our realtor could not tell a potential buyer what offers had been made.  She could, though, tell potential buyers that one or more offers were pending, and ask if the buyer was planning to make an offer near the asking price.  After all was said and done, though, we broke even. 

For lower priced houses, the market was totally different.  For those  homes, you had better be able to make a cash offer for over the asking price.  I saw that first hand last year when my step-daughter was trying to buy.

You can't blame sellers and realtors for getting the best deal available when selling.  It's the nature of the game.

On the flip side, try selling in a buyer's market.  That's as bad as buying in a seller's market.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    One other thing I forgot to mention.  When you sell, plan on paying about 8% in selling cost.  I suppose you could forgo using a realtor, but there's a lot of stuff they do under the hood that you may not know to do.
    Jerry

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    One other thing I forgot to mention.  When you sell, plan on paying about 8% in selling cost.  I suppose you could forgo using a realtor, but there's a lot of stuff they do under the hood that you may not know to do.
    It's 8% for closing costs now?  That's outright theft!  It was 6% when I bought my home 16 years ago.
    No good deed goes unpunished...

Gila,

realtor commissions are 6% here.  But, there are lawyer fees, filing fees, etc. that add up to the other 2%.

Jerry

I've sold 2 houses without a realtor. Believe me, I'll NEVER do that again. As you said, they do a ton of stuff "under the hood" that works out for you, whether you're a seller or buyer. In the long run their fees are chump change.

Mike
    N454casull
    Taxes are also crazy with every school district wanting brand new schools. We got approved for the house we bid on here in town.

Did the same for this house out of town and one county over. Got approved for $20,000 more just in the tax difference alone.
    Bid accepted
    View down the road... One house

That is really nice!

Mike
    N454casull
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    Ah, the pain of spending money on real estate you'll never get back.  Six months ago, I had to put a new drain field in my septic system at about $8k.  I'll never get that back when I (or my daughter after I'm gone) but it had to be done.  About 35-40 years, and a lot of roots grow an impede the natural workings.  I was getting backup when it rained.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    I remember the day when you could get a whole septic put in for $3000..............
    Good for you, JBP.  Looks like things are going your way.
    Jerry

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    Great news, man.  Glad you got back there and found a place to own.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Seller lost some money today. The county is making them seal an old well on the property. Has to be done by a 'professional'.............. $2400. Ouch.