Home Main Category Clubhouse

Gerber Knives

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 11,148 Senior Member
In my experience, Gerber makes good quality, fairly well thought out, and affordable knives.

They just make absolute crap for sheaths.  Can’t think of a single one in my experience that made the knife carry-able.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,778 Senior Member
    Specially the old ones.  Old Gerber USA stamped knives are becoming very popular specially the serial numbered BFKs and the Bowie.  Both of them came with crappy Nylon sheaths that used to come apart with any use at all.  Blades were/are amazing though.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #3

I've had two Gerbers.  A Suspension plier/multi tool that I love, except for it's size and weight as far as EDC.  Also had a changeable blade hunting knife.  The hunting knife got recalled due to the possibility of the blades coming off the handle during use and being a safety hazard.  In return, they sent me a decent Winchester gut hook knife with laminate handle.  I broke one of the jaws off of my Suspension trying to twist fence wire with it.  Since they're needle nose pliers, they're a little flimsy when it comes to twisting motion.  I emailed Gerber and told them what happened, they sent me a brand new Suspension. Very handy tool.  Both the Suspension and the gut hook knife are in my backpack all the time, and it's pretty much always with me, since it gets put in or on every vehicle I drive.

And yes, the sheaths on every Gerber I've had and seen others with, SUCK....

Edit to add - Leathermans come with a much better sheath and I've had a couple before. Still have a small Leatherman in the house.  Things I never liked about the Leatherman that the Gerber fixes - You have to open the Leatherman to open the knife and other tools.  On the Gerber, they open from the outside of the handles.  And, the Gerber locks the blade and other tools in place when open, so they won't fold over on your fingers.  The Leatherman blade doesn't lock when open.

And the Leatherman handles are uncomfortable on the hand when really squeezing on the handles.  The Suspension doesn't have the problem. Plus, the Suspension has a spring in it that opens the pliers when you open your hand.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,778 Senior Member
    Actually Jay brings up a good point.  An old Gerber light I had for YEARS finally bit the big one and died.  It was an old time favorite and Gerber has a lifetime warrantee on a lot of their stuff so I called them to see if it could be repaired.  Send it back, they said.  And they returned to me a much more expensive current production light.   Much higher end model than the original, with a note that they did not manufacture my old one anymore and they were sorry for my inconvenience!

Great CS!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,733 Senior Member
    I've got a Gerber folder, cheaper and pretty easy to sharpen  Very lightweight.  Back in 1968 prior to going to Vietnam, I bought a Mark I.  Had a leather sheath and a sharpening steel in an outside pouch.  I broke one of the handguards on it, trying to throw it at a wooden wall...big mistake.

Got a Gerber multi tool and was given a Leatherman.  Which I think is a better tool.  The Gerber pliers pinch the fingers.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.