Home Main Category Clubhouse

Cigar smokers?

2»

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,796 Senior Member
    Great thank!  I have some stuff to look into now and already looking at pipes brother!   Damn Peterson makes a LOT of different pipes 🤪
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,039 Senior Member
    Shape 69 is a good place to start. ;)
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,917 Senior Member
    I know a bit about cigars, but pipes I have only dabbled with and enjoy now and then. I have one good pipe. It is the Bing Cosby by Savinelli, another really good pipe maker.  The only tobacco I smoke in it is Mellow Monk from Just for Him.   If you want to sample different tobaccos, I would get yourself a couple of good cob pipes.  They may not be pretty, but they smoke nice and do not ghost.  In my experience Linefinder is spot on when it comes to packing and lighting your pipe.  Once you get the hang of it, it is easy. Taking small "sips" instead of hard sucking on the pipe will keep it going, but not get hot.
    I find the pipe very relaxing, I sit outside with a coffee and read some gun forum I found online.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,742 Senior Member
    I've dabbled in pipes myself, but have such a severe overbite that it's hard to hold one in my elderly mouth.  I've got a Bryson estate pipe (very good) and a couple of corncob pipes, which have a pretty good rep despite their cheap price.  They smoke well.

I was using cake tobacco back when....requires hand rubbing, and some drying out.  Can't remember the brand.  But I never learned the fine points of smoking a pipe and couldn't get enough smoke out of it to satisfy me.

So I'm a cigar man...once every couple of weeks. And only outside.  I was smoking two a day about 7 years ago, was hooked, inside, until my daughter and my friends told me my house stank.  It did. So I sit outside and smoe and read my kindle.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    I'm sure most of you are aware of these risk factors, but I post this as a health warning to you and those around you when you smoke those things.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    I'm sure most of you are aware of these risk factors, but I post this as a health warning to you and those around you when you smoke those things.

All real concerns for sure.  Personally I don't smoke anywhere near what those studies address.  I'm probably down to 1-2 cigars a month.  Usually on a weekend morning on my back patio with a large cup of coffee.  I'm probably more at risk of harm from other activities like general alcohol drinking but life is a big balancing act.  If my doctor told me that if I stop, drinking all alcohol, smoking cigars and eating red meat I'd live to be 100, my reaction would be why would I want to live that long being this miserable?

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    "Breaking in a pipe" is kind of like breaking in a barrel.Some believe, and some don't. I'm in the middle. A good pipe doesn't smoke really well on it's first bowl. A poor pipe never smokes well at all. But a good pipe is usually good by its third bowl. A bad pipe is gonna suck forever, and there's not much man or God can do to change that. (Hint....Peterson...spend the money....trust me, brother....).

What Gila said about thicker bowls is spot on. While in the early days, I prefered a smaller bowl, simply for comfort in the hand, a thicker bowl provides a much cooler smoke and packs a bit more tobacco....you'll grow into it.

I will disagree with Gila one on slight point. A brier pipe isn't the end all. Well, yes it is, but briar pipes "ghost" considerably, meaning the last tobacco you've smoked in it will "flavor" or contiminate the next few you try.

A Meershaum is good for this. I don't like them for purely smoking, but.....they don't ghost. A Meershaum is a great device for finding a smoke you like. They don' ghost when cleaned, or hold a residue like a briar.

Mike
    I left meerschaum pipes out of this on purpose because that is a different world.  I think that the best place for them is on pipe racks because they are so beautiful if handled properly.  However, they do make briar pipes with meerschaum lined bowls.  Way back when I was first starting, and trying any and all tobaccos, I acquired "The Pipe", which was recommended by Playboy magazine.  I don't know what it was made of, but it could be washed with soap and water and it was inexpensive.  I didn't much like it, but it was okay for trying different tobaccos.

No good deed goes unpunished...
    Don't underestimate the lowly cob pipe.  Cheap, and the break-in (if there is one) is short.
    Gene L said:
    Don't underestimate the lowly cob pipe.  Cheap, and the break-in (if there is one) is short.
    You aren't the only I've heard that from. I've never tried a cob pipe, but figure I should. If it sucks, I can toss a $9 pipe with few regrets.

Mike
    N454casull

Thanks, I've never heard that before.

Mike
    N454casull
    Gila,

I'm not a fan of Meershums, but, I won one on an Bay bid that cost me a chunk of change. Stupid bastard just would't quit bidding so of course, I didn't either.

A Peterson Meershum....didn't know they made one.

They did at one time though and while it'll never be pretty, it's a great pipe for "trying" new tobaccos. It doesn't taste the same as a briar will, but it sure cuts to the chase PDQ.

Mike

N454casull
    edited August 2019 #43
    Got an old antiques dealer in Watkinsville who smokes a pipe (almost constantly) and he has a lot of Estate pipes for sale, reasonably priced.  Some of them are quite nice.  He had a Peterson new pipe, a bent stem he called a "great detective" pipe he wanted $200 for.  I didn't buy it, of course.

I did buy my estate Bryson pipe from him, a good but unusual pipe.  Small screw-off bowl, metal stem. He gave me a bag of tobacco, said he bought it 100 pounds at a time!  He changed pipes from his pipe stand regularly.

In 1970-71 when I was in the Army,  my 1st Sergeant smoked a pipe, got me to doing it too.  I think he smoked Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco, but could have been Half and Half, which he bought by the pound in those round tin cans.  Anyway, we swapped info on pipes.  I THINK I bought the one referenced above as The Pipe.  Had kind of a weird lined semi-metallic bowl.  It was OK, pretty mellow, but had a taste to it I didn't like.  I smoked it a lot back then, even built up a layer of "seasoning" to the point where I had to ream it out with a tool.

As for corncob, it was recommended in a blog I read (maybe linked here?) that covered every thing a person would want to know about pipes and tobacco.  It wasn't a first choice, but it was among the top ten, material wise.  I found it smoked fine in the fairly brief time I smoked it.

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    My old man used to smoke a pipe. I don’t know that he ever really got the hang of it and if I remember correctly, are there filters or screens or something like that? I just remember the aroma of all the different tobaccos he would try. 
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member

Thanks, I've never heard that before.

Mike
    The study I cited also said that cigar smoke can contain 7 times more nicotine and chemical toxins that cigarettes have, so if you are a cigar or pipe smoker, I would not be brushing off the harm to your body you are doing by smoking that only 2 or 3 times a month.
    Here's something maybe you haven't heard before. As a previous smoker of cigarettes for 30 years, I finally quit at the age of 45. Once getting all the poisons of tobacco out of my system, I am left with a real allergy to tobacco smoke. Being around tobacco smoke is one of the most physically irritating things I could encounter, just by breathing the air around it. It gives me headaches, coughing and nasal passage inflammation. My only choice is if I want to avoid all that discomfort, is to walk away from a group of people smoking tobacco. Cigars and pipes are even worse to me. I would rather not be affected by it, but it is something I have no control over. I wouldn't be surprised if other people were affected by it too.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Gene L said:
    Got an old antiques dealer in Watkinsville who smokes a pipe (almost constantly) and he has a lot of Estate pipes for sale, reasonably priced.  Some of them are quite nice.  He had a Peterson new pipe, a bent stem he called a "great detective" pipe he wanted $200 for.  I didn't buy it, of course.

I did buy my estate Bryson pipe from him, a good but unusual pipe.  Small screw-off bowl, metal stem. He gave me a bag of tobacco, said he bought it 100 pounds at a time!  He changed pipes from his pipe stand regularly.

In 1970-71 when I was in the Army,  my 1st Sergeant smoked a pipe, got me to doing it too.  I think he smoked Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco, but could have been Half and Half, which he bought by the pound in those round tin cans.  Anyway, we swapped info on pipes.  I THINK I bought the one referenced above as The Pipe.  Had kind of a weird lined semi-metallic bowl.  It was OK, pretty mellow, but had a taste to it I didn't like.  I smoked it a lot back then, even built up a layer of "seasoning" to the point where I had to ream it out with a tool.

As for corncob, it was recommended in a blog I read (maybe linked here?) that covered every thing a person would want to know about pipes and tobacco.  It wasn't a first choice, but it was among the top ten, material wise.  I found it smoked fine in the fairly brief time I smoked it.

I've been doing a little research since this thread came out and interestingly enough just about EVERY top 10 review list I've found has a Corn Cob pipe in them.  The only negative is that they are not very hardy and will only last "a year or two".

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Gila,

I'm not a fan of Meershums, but, I won one on an Bay bid that cost me a chunk of change. Stupid bastard just would't quit bidding so of course, I didn't either.

A Peterson Meershum....didn't know they made one.

They did at one time though and while it'll never be pretty, it's a great pipe for "trying" new tobaccos. It doesn't taste the same as a briar will, but it sure cuts to the chase PDQ.

Mike

Do you have a photo of it?  I've never owned a meerschaum pipe, mostly because the ones I like are too expensive.  I did once have a briar pipe with a meerschaum lined bowl that was sort of okay.

I've never bought a pipe that I couldn't physically touch.  There are certain things I look for, because even a $200+ pipe can have flaws, plus the bite on stems of all of my pipes are exactly the same size.

No good deed goes unpunished...
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    As of lately I’ve just been experimenting with different brands to see what I like best. It’s a rare balance between taste, aroma and price. I hate to admit it that the cheap Backwoods are winning so far. 
    I smoke cheap cigars.

I smoked cigarettes heavily for 35 years, dipped snuff, and chewed, but quit cold turkey in 2006, and never touched tobacco for 6 years. But, I always missed it, and after I was sure I had the physical addiction kicked, I did start smoking a cigar occasionally. Now, I may not smoke one for days, or I may smoke several in a day. I don't really inhale it much, if any, but I like the harsh aroma, and half the time, it goes out and I don't even notice, if I'm working.