Home Main Category Clubhouse

Late October, early (I think) November

2»

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,856 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Hang in there Gene! I'm planning on living forever, myself. So far, its working out well!
    More seriously, even I'm beginning to feel my age...
    It won't be long before you won't be able to wear them hemlines in public.
    :o

Seems like yesterday I was running half-marathons in 100 degree weather (back in the 1990's) but now everything creaks as I plod along on my runs. But I stay motivated.
    Saw a news story awhile back about this guy in his late 90's still doing distance running. He's not breaking any speed records but the fact he's not in a wheelchair and in very good health is amazing. That's the direction I'd like to go.
    B)
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,394 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Saw a news story awhile back about this guy in his late 90's still doing distance running. He's not breaking any speed records but the fact he's not in a wheelchair and in very good health is amazing. That's the direction I'd like to go.
    B)
    If you can't run, dance. Find a dance form you like, and go to it. I knew one gal who was 91 when she hung up her dance shoes - she was a Greek Folk Dancer. Of course I'm going to advocate for Belly Dance as its very body friendly, but any form that your body can deal with will help - a lot. Many dancers continue into their mid-80s - one of my dance sisters in California retired at age 86 (and moved to Atlanta).
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    The secret is you have to keep moving... Somehow.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,626 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Spk said:
    B)
    If you can't run, dance. Find a dance form you like, and go to it. I knew one gal who was 91 when she hung up her dance shoes - she was a Greek Folk Dancer. Of course I'm going to advocate for Belly Dance as its very body friendly, but any form that your body can deal with will help - a lot. Many dancers continue into their mid-80s - one of my dance sisters in California retired at age 86 (and moved to Atlanta).

I don't like any dance form. I have no rhythm, don't like dance music. 
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that...
    You can dance to anything!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    You can even dance to nothing.  When I was in the Navy, overseas, we'd pull into a port, and the first thing we liked to do was find a nice restaurant for diner.  If other sailors were also eating in the restaurant, someone would always yell at the top of their lungs, "Anyone who can't tap dance is q...."  Every single sailor in the establishment would jump up a start dancing...  :D
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    You Navy guys...........
    :D

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,626 Senior Member
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,763 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    You Navy guys...........
    That episode, on national TV after much pre-hype, didn't surprise me at all. That's how Marines see sailors every day.

And if you think that's weird, you ought to see how they dance while not in a port.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    In a way, I'm not kidding. I hadn't been long out of the Corps when this aired. I, even as an ex-Marine, was horrified. "How in Hell could a Fleet Admiral allow this not only to be filmed on his ship, but not be hung on the yardarm upon its release"?

I never won the Navy Cross, but if I had, I'd have likely given it back that day.

This was supposedly a "recruiting" effort.  Huh?

Mike
    N454casull
    Then there's the Cher video that was filmed on the "Mighty Mo"!

There's sort of a difference, I'm thinking.........

Mike
    N454casull
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    I won't argue with that...  :D
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,745 Senior Member
    And I thought that was the Village People.  I guess not have a cop and an Indian was a dead give away.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    You Navy guys...........
    That episode, on national TV after much pre-hype, didn't surprise me at all. That's how Marines see sailors every day.

And if you think that's weird, you ought to see how they dance while not in a port.

Mike
    Only thing missing is the barrel.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

This was supposedly a "recruiting" effort.  Huh?

Mike
    After that video came out, I bet even Castro was thinking, "I think we can take 'em."