Home Main Category Clubhouse

Shout-out to USPS

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,733 Senior Member
A few weeks back, I ordered 100 rounds of .44 Mag brass from Midway.  I'd had delivery time issues before, but after a while I checked with my Midway web orders and found it had been delivered.  On the records was the USPS tracking number.  So I called my local Post Office, gave the very polite guy who answered the phone the tracking number, and he told me apologetically that it had been delivered to the wrong address.  But, he said, he'd get it back for me.

What that meant was the Carrier would have to contact the person to whom it was delivered and ask for it back.  This would take some time, assuming like most in my town are not at home during mail delivery hours.

After about two weeks of not getting my brass back, this morning I found the brass in my mailbox.The postal worker was as good as his word.

Yes, they shouldn't have delivered the box to the wrong address in the first place, but no one is perfect and around here the USPS is pretty damned efficient.  My first issue with them at all, and it was resolved. Thanks to the USPS tracking number on my Midway order.

So, I think both the Postal service and Midway deserve recognition...and btw, Midway's shipping time has changed and now they're pretty fast.

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    What's going in the brass???

And what's the loaded brass going into???
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,733 Senior Member
    Not decided on the load, yet. Bullet is 245 gr. lead. Something fairly mild in my 5" Ruger Redhawk.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    When I first read the title I thought it said, Shootout with USPS!
    Glad I was wrong. Kinda disappointed though. 😅
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,089 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #5
    Sorry, but personally, I don't see them fixing their screw-up, so that they don't have to replace your package, as being shout-out worthy.

FedEx has had to do the same on the LAST 3 freakin' things they've supposedly delivered here. :rage:
    Instead of being "praise worthy", I've informed FedEx customer service that's it's proof that their local office hires idiots.

That doesn't include the multiple times they've said they couldn't deliver my package because there wasn't an apartment number listed. I've told them, it's not surprising that there ISN'T an apartment number listed...
    SINCE I DON'T LIVE IN AN APARTMENT
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    Not decided on the load, yet. Bullet is 245 gr. lead. Something fairly mild in my 5" Ruger Redhawk.
    Besides the usual stand-by of Unique. Ive had good results with IMR Trail Boss and Alliant Power Pistol for moderate 44mag loads.

Alliant 2400 with cast lead full throttle loads are surprisingly comfortable in my SBH with wide grips.
    knitepoet said:
    Sorry, but personally, I don't see them fixing their screw-up, so that they don't have to replace your package, as being shout-out worthy.

FedEx has had to do the same on the LAST 3 freakin' things they've supposedly delivered here. :rage:
    Instead of being "praise worthy", I've informed FedEx customer service that's it's proof that their local office hires idiots.

That doesn't include the multiple times they've said they couldn't deliver my package because there wasn't an apartment number listed. I've told them, it's not surprising that there ISN'T an apartment number listed...
    SINCE I DON'T LIVE IN AN APARTMENT
    Considering that in my community, the PO handles a couple of hundred thousand mails per day and makes one mistake which could be handled by a 4 minute phone call is, I think, worthy of a mention.
    edited September 2019 #8
    This has been on my mind.  Knitepoet sees it as a broader issue of the USPS being at fault, I see it as as individuasl taking their time to correct an issue of the USPS.

I think some see it as Institutional v Personal issue.  Several years ago, a friend of my wife (let's call her Lynn)  placed an order at MacDonald's for a take-out.  It came in a styrofoam box, or whatever they did back then, and Lynn being an environmentalist objected.  She didn't exactly cause a scene, but she complained to the counter guy .  It was a point she wanted to make, regardless of the triviality of the event.

While some (my wife, a liberal and a friend) saw this as a blow to MacDonald's corporate service, it wasn't.  I saw it as a woman causing trouble to a minimum-wage counter guy who had no idea of what the hell was going on.  I don't know the outcome, but it caused a problem which probably did not affect MacDonald's corporate way of packaging sandwiches. .

So, I reduce it to local levels.  The USPS employee in my situation corrected a problem, taking his time and that of the deliverer, to solve a problem.  He represented the USPS in a positive way.   I see no reason to condemn either the USPS or the carrier for a mistake made correct.

I don't think it's kind to assign corporate responsibility to the counter guys.  It's not like they're part and parcel of the enterprise.  But I do think it's unfortunately common to criticize the largest common denominator.  Which is part of the "I'm a victim" philosophy in favor today.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,089 Senior Member
    I don't blame it on the corporation. The person that delivered your package to the wrong address HAD your package.

I am ASSuming it had your correct name and address on it?

They failed to look at it and realize, "Hey, this isn't XXX anystreet. And that doesn't look like GeneL"

Even my normal mail man, Daniel, and I have discussed how a bunch of his co-workers really don't give a crap. (After he had to deliver a package that was due 2 days earlier that a lazy carrier had refused to deliver and marked "Unable to access front door")

Keep in mind, I have a porch with an ADA compliant ramp, no gate and no fence. Even someone in a wheelchair can access my front door.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I don't think the carrier is the one who sorts the mail for delivery.  I doubt they pay much attention to much more than the Box number.  A mistake was made, and eventually it was corrected by the actions of a couple of USPS employees, instead of laying it off to the insurance company to pay the claim.