Home Main Category Clubhouse

48 Hours Ago.....

2»

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    Oh man that’s tough! Hang in there. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • joyjoy22joyjoy22 Posts: 44 Member
    I am so sorry about your health issue, hoping that you will feel much better as you undergo medication. 
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,910 Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for the kinds words, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, there are no drugs for this condition. Only dietary changes will make improvements happen. One thing I found out from reading some material from the Davita website, is that this disease does not get better. The only thing that the diet changes do is keep it from getting worse.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Sorry I just caught up with this one.  Sorry to hear about this but I know you got this.  I was just diagnosed with too much iron in my blood so dealing with that too.  Dietary changes coming here too.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Sorry I just caught up with this one.  Sorry to hear about this but I know you got this.  I was just diagnosed with too much iron in my blood so dealing with that too.  Dietary changes coming here too.
    My Doc says I'm low iron and told me to eat more red meat and stuff with iron in it. More red meat; I LIKE my Doc! :D:D:D

MMD, make that Doc give you a comprehensive list of 'good to go' foods, and a list of the 'HAIL NO!' foods. That way you will know what will be the best for ya!

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,927 Senior Member
    Hope your diet does what is needed for you.
    edited September 2019 #38
    tennmike said:
    My Doc says I'm low iron and told me to eat more red meat and stuff with iron in it. More red meat; I LIKE my Doc! :D:D:D

MMD, make that Doc give you a comprehensive list of 'good to go' foods, and a list of the 'HAIL NO!' foods. That way you will know what will be the best for ya!

Luckily you can eat meat because you don't have kidney issues along with the other things you're dealing with. The doctor gave me a pretty comprehensive list of yes and no foods. I had to call their office last week to get a clarification on one thing, but I pretty much have what I need to know going forward. It's going to be tough when I go out of town and have to rely on foods that are prepared by other people. For instance, at the shoot where most of the foods prepared are based on meat or fish. Fortunately there is some salad available at the Saturday lunch that I can have. The Frday night meal and the evening bonfire meal I will have to either bring my own or be selective with whatever is available. Also going to be a problem on my motorcycle excursions out of town. Many restaurants don't have veggie meals and there again I will have to be selective.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member

Luckily you can eat meat because you don't have kidney issues along with the other things you're dealing with. The doctor gave me a pretty comprehensive list of yes and no foods. I had to call their office last week to get a clarification on one thing, but I pretty much have what I need to know going forward. It's going to be tough when I go out of town and have to rely on foods that are prepared by other people. For instance, at the shoot where most of the foods prepared are based on meat or fish. Fortunately there is some salad available at the Saturday lunch that I can have. The Frday night meal and the evening bonfire meal I will have to either bring my own or be selective with whatever is available. Also going to be a problem on my motorcycle excursions out of town. Many restaurants don't have veggie meals and there again I will have to be selective.
    Keep to the list as much as possible, and have a treat of some of the verboten stuff a couple of times a week in small portions. I actually like a lot of the fruits and vegetables on the list I looked up for what you're dealing with.
    Thing is, I don't care for beef all that much, unless it's barbecued or slow smoked over several hours. I don't care for grilled or fried beef at all. I have to have it well done, and it gets kinda tough when well done. Putting a steak in a slow cooker for a few hours is kinda O.K., though. I like fish and pork a lot more than beef. I can put away a LOT of corn on the cob, and fried corn, and love most fruit, especially apples (apple pie), cherries (cherry pie), and grapes and such.
    I don't know if you've ever partaken of fried corn; seems to be a strictly Southern thing, and isn't conducive to a svelte figure. You take uncooked corn on the cob, cut it off the cob with a knife, and fry it in bacon or sausage fat, IN A CAST IRON SKILLET. Good stuff! And don't know if the hog fat would be permissible for you, either. But if it IS permissible, then try it once and see what ya think. Add some chopped white onion for extra flavor.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member
    edited September 2019 #40
    GunNut said:
    I had that pop up in bloodwork a few years ago.  Feared it was hemochromatosis, but it turns out it was just a slight infection and inflammation in the liver that was causing the issue.  went away on its own.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    GunNut said:
    I had that pop up in bloodwork a few years ago.  Feared it was hemochromatosis, but it turns out it was just a slight infection and inflammation in the liver that was causing the issue.  went away on its own.
    Yeah that’s what my doctor is thinking so they are doing more bloodwork to rule out Hemochromatosis since it’s genetic and there is a test for it and I have no family history and then we’ll do a liver MRI and a biopsy if nessesary.  My having had my gall bladder out as an emergency surgery might have something to do with it.

So for no, low to no red meat diet and a glass of wine infrequently until further notice.
    edited September 2019 #42
    My diet is pretty strict, but I can have meat once a week...better than nothing. I can have all the fruit and vegetables I want and even nuts if they are unsalted. I'm not sure about beef or pork fat. they just tell you to avoid meat and dairy products, except for egg whites. I can have bread, rice, potatoes and pasta in limited quantities.....30 grams, twice a day.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,125 Senior Member
    Youse guy are scaring me with all this!

Make_My_Day:
    I have just prayed you get this issue under control.o:)
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Noel, we know that once you have CKD it's with you for life , but it can be controlled, as I said before i keep records of all my blood tests, I'm posting them so you can see where I started, how bad it got and where I'm at today.

02 - 12  GFR 53
    10 - 13      "    53
    07 - 14      "    45
    03 - 15      "    35 change of diet
    11 - 15       "   57
    02 - 16      "    54
    11 - 17      "    48
    07 - 18      "    57
    04 - 19      "    48

I'm due to see my doc in Oct. I'll let you know the results than

As you can see I went from almost stage 4 and dialysis to now I'm at stage 3A, no other lifestyle change other than diet, still eat red meat but watch how much and often I eat it.

JAY

THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti said:
    Noel, we know that once you have CKD it's with you for life , but it can be controlled, as I said before i keep records of all my blood tests, I'm posting them so you can see where I started, how bad it got and where I'm at today.
    As you can see I went from almost stage 4 and dialysis to now I'm at stage 3A, no other lifestyle change other than diet, still eat red meat but watch how much and often I eat it.

JAY

Thanks for posting your lab results. I'm now at GFR 49 and at stage 3A as well. I see your GFR's fluctuated from a low of 35 and rose to a high of 57 after your diet change. Maybe my GFR's will rise as well now that I have changed my diet too.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    NN said:
    Youse guy are scaring me with all this!

Make_My_Day:
    I have just prayed you get this issue under control.o:)
    Thank you Ned.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    I'm sorry to hear this rough news. However, as a silver lining, GOOD ON YOU for taking it seriously and making the lifestyle and diet adjustments needed to control it. Too many people get diseases like yours and do nothing about it, instead wallowing in self pity, and just make it worse.

You are already ahead of the game, and ahead of the majority of the population, by doing something about it, and finding the positive (your pending weight loss) offsets to focus on.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    I'm sorry to hear this rough news. However, as a silver lining, GOOD ON YOU for taking it seriously and making the lifestyle and diet adjustments needed to control it. Too many people get diseases like yours and do nothing about it, instead wallowing in self pity, and just make it worse.

You are already ahead of the game, and ahead of the majority of the population, by doing something about it, and finding the positive (your pending weight loss) offsets to focus on.
    This is an excellent point and if you adopt the right perspective it can have a very positive impact in your life.  I know that it was my doctor warning me about the existing and potentially upcoming health issues associated with my weight and her wanting to add medications to my daily regime that made me finally take my weight issues seriously.  

It is not easy to change a lifetime of bad habits, specially with food, but I actually enjoy going to the doctor now and getting my checkups.  They are a validation that I made the right choices and I actually feel 1000% better.  Who knew!!!  I think you will find the same since you sound very committed to the right path so good for you brother!
    GunNut said:

This is an excellent point and if you adopt the right perspective it can have a very positive impact in your life.  I know that it was my doctor warning me about the existing and potentially upcoming health issues associated with my weight and her wanting to add medications to my daily regime that made me finally take my weight issues seriously.  

It is not easy to change a lifetime of bad habits, specially with food, but I actually enjoy going to the doctor now and getting my checkups.  They are a validation that I made the right choices and I actually feel 1000% better.  Who knew!!!  I think you will find the same since you sound very committed to the right path so good for you brother!
    Thank you both for your positive comments. Yes, changing a lifetime of bad habits is definitely not easy. It's almost like quitting cigarettes cold turkey. I'm pretty resistant to changing old ways, but I do take this very seriously and I don't want to be a victim of my own stubbornness by marching headlong into Kidney Dialysis. The diet is a radical change, but I actually don't mind it that much, because I have been able to make it taste more palatable. Veggie burgers with fake cheese isn't as bad as it sounds. All I had to do was put some Sonny's BBQ sauce on it......LOL. Instead of protein shakes in the morning for breakfast, I make a smoothie type shake with an apple, peach, a banana, 4oz of Activia yogurt, some cashew milk and some frozen strawberries, peaches, pineapple and grapes. It's actually pretty tasty. Lunch and dinner are Garbanzo beans and Red beans and Hummus with roasted Pine nuts with some Cucumber and raw Spinach leaves with some blue cheese or ranch dressing, with maybe an Orange for dessert. A vegetarian diet does not have to be the end of the world as we know it, but it is a little difficult to find restaurants that serve vegetarian meals. If they have a salad bar, for me that's perfect. Also Thai restaurants have vegetarian meals too. I ate at one last week, and had Fried Rice with fried Tofu in it that tasted like Chicken.... :)
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    GunNut said:

Thank you both for your positive comments. Yes, changing a lifetime of bad habits is definitely not easy. It's almost like quitting cigarettes cold turkey. I'm pretty resistant to changing old ways, but I do take this very seriously and I don't want to be a victim of my own stubbornness by marching headlong into Kidney Dialysis. The diet is a radical change, but I actually don't mind it that much, because I have been able to make it taste more palatable. Veggie burgers with fake cheese isn't as bad as it sounds. All I had to do was put some Sonny's BBQ sauce on it......LOL. Instead of protein shakes in the morning for breakfast, I make a smoothie type shake with an apple, peach, a banana, 4oz of Activia yogurt, some cashew milk and some frozen strawberries, peaches, pineapple and grapes. It's actually pretty tasty. Lunch and dinner are Garbanzo beans and Red beans and Hummus with roasted Pine nuts with some Cucumber and raw Spinach leaves with some blue cheese or ranch dressing, with maybe an Orange for dessert. A vegetarian diet does not have to be the end of the world as we know it, but it is a little difficult to find restaurants that serve vegetarian meals. If they have a salad bar, for me that's perfect. Also Thai restaurants have vegetarian meals too. I ate at one last week, and had Fried Rice with fried Tofu in it that tasted like Chicken.... :)
    Yep, you’ll find there are a lot of things in the menu you overlooked before, and they’re not half bad!