Home Main Category Hunting

California bans fur trapping

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
I'm on time zones right now being overseas, so I hope this isn't a duplicate thread, but did anyone else see this?  Just another nail in the coffin for California's outdoor heritage.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/california-becomes-first-state-to-ban-fur-trapping?fbclid=IwAR1w5oDcMUfi_ldDTeIFDjADiq5fvKy_BNiBpzIcols0gMkaLfo4s4tgrDw
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,667 Senior Member
    edited September 2019 #2
    I haven't seen it, but NOTHING that the whackoes in my former state surprises me anymore. NOTHING. California bans this, California bans that, I'm waiting for them to ban breathing...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I haven't seen it, but NOTHING that the whackoes in my former state surprises me anymore. NOTHING. California bans this, California bans that, I'm waiting for them to ban breathing...
    Bans are the political capital of “progressive action” demanded by a populus that is *never* done wanting more.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    I hope they like what just the beavers will do in a very short time.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    An outright ban on fur in California was inevitable. First, CA outlawed foothold traps. Then conibears. Then trapping on public property. Now fur is gone. 

Now the guys who engage in pest removal cannot sell the hides. What a waste. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL said:
    An outright ban on fur in California was inevitable. First, CA outlawed foothold traps. Then conibears. Then trapping on public property. Now fur is gone. 

The proverbial "death by 1,000 cuts".  I look at their lead projectile ban as a step on the path to the same end for hunting and shooting sports in that state.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    CaliFFL said:

The proverbial "death by 1,000 cuts".  I look at their lead projectile ban as a step on the path to the same end for hunting and shooting sports in that state.
    It's a feature, not a bug. My brother has stopped buying hunting licenses and tags in California. A couple years ago, he was on BLM land hunting quail and cottontails with steel shot. He was stopped by F&G and checked out. He had a box of 7mm Rem Mag in the truck, but no rifle. The officer informed him he was in violation of the lead ammo law even though he had no means to fire the ammo. Ironically, he also had fishing gear in the truck, but I guess that lead is OK. He wasn't cited, but that was his last straw. He ventures up here every year to hunt with me. He'll be here Oct 10.  :)
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL said:
    Six-Gun said:
    CaliFFL said:

It's a feature, not a bug. My brother has stopped buying hunting licenses and tags in California. A couple years ago, he was on BLM land hunting quail and cottontails with steel shot. He was stopped by F&G and checked out. He had a box of 7mm Rem Mag in the truck, but no rifle. The officer informed him he was in violation of the lead ammo law even though he had no means to fire the ammo. Ironically, he also had fishing gear in the truck, but I guess that lead is OK. He wasn't cited, but that was his last straw. He ventures up here every year to hunt with me. He'll be here Oct 10.  :)
    That's hilariously bad.  Possession of the ammo with no means to use it is a violation of the ban...wow.  Yeah, it's way funny how the lead *ammo* ban went through without a hitch, yet the lead *fishing tackle* ban stalled in the same legislature.  Lemme guess - the fishermen in CA have a super powerful lobby that kept their methods intact?  

Nothing to see here folks.  There's no government agenda at play.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,667 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
     Possession of the ammo with no means to use it is a violation of the ban...wow. 
    Its the same thought process that will get you arrested in DC with an already fired shell casing in your possession. This crap doesn't need to make sense - in fact, the less sense it makes the better because it makes everybody a criminal who can be arrested at any time for any, or no, reason.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,672 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:

I'm sure that the state will insist on little non-denominational funerals for the removed pests
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,983 Senior Member
    California would be such a magnificent state......if it wasn't for the people.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain