Home Main Category Clubhouse

Update on Woodsrunner

JKPJKP Senior MemberPosts: 2,346 Senior Member
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I wanted to share something that was posted on another forum regarding Woodsrunner. I don't know if it was ever posted here, but Woods was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a couple of months ago. A member on the other forum posted the following today:

"I spoke to Mr Rich a few minutes ago and it’s with tears in my eyes that I type this.  He’s not doing well at all, his pancreatic cancer is overcoming him. He can’t get on here but asked that I reach out also let everyone know, that he’d like to be at a big ol party, but he can’t even get up. We spoke about him going to an “alternative “ doc about some “newly legal” medicine to help him along, which he was receptive to. He said he was to sick to go now.... please say a prayer, cross your fingers or whatever you do when you are powerless to help folks you care about."

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,855 Senior Member
    That's really unfortunate, he is a great guy.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,310 Senior Member
    That just sucks.  He s an amazing human being and I wish I had been able to get to know him better!  Prayers incoming...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,129 Senior Member
    Very sad news. Rich is a great guy and I've met him several times at the SE shoot!! I am praying for the best for him but this is a difficult struggle!!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,450 Senior Member
    I've not met him. I have items, instructions, and knowledge for proper loading of my muzzle loading rifle that he gave me. His posts revealed a wealth of eclectic knowledge and experience beyond measure. My life was dramatically improved just from an incidental crossing of paths here on line. I can only imagine the great force of his life. I leave my best wishes here, small as they are in comparison.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,611 Senior Member
    I am not happy about this.  He's a good man.  I had a thoroughly enjoyable lunch with him one day when I was on the way up to a SE shoot.  
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,140 Senior Member
    Very bad news.  I've seen his posts on another forum, too...can't remember which.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,204 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear this, the loss of regulars from the past is always sad
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,168 Senior Member
    very sorry to hear this. never knew him but his participation here was always worthy of a read. Pancreatic cancer is a vile illness, lost an uncle to it. 
    I wish woodsrunner peace and comfort.   
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,135 Senior Member
    Rich is a good dude. I am very sorry to hear this.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    I looked on gunboards forum, where he is woodsrunner 38, couldn't find any info on his health.  He last posted there on 9/27, in which he was articulate.  Guess he's gone downhill quickly in the last two weeks.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,486 Senior Member
    Well dog gone it. As said, Rich is one heck of a man.  Bad and sad news indeed
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,302 Senior Member
    I feel like I'm surrounded by death - this is the 3rd one I've heard about just TODAY. Goddess Bless him, may his passing be easy and swift.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,394 Senior Member
    Very sad news. I'll pray him. May his condition improve and that we might hear from him again. 🙏
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Hate to hear this. Rich is a kindred soul to me. Another Southern feller that I've thoroughly enjoyed knowing, meeting, and talking to at length on many subjects.
    Pancreatic cancer is bad and doesn't respond well to any known treatment. I hope he can get some relief and comfort from the pain.
    Prayers outgoing for Rich.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,740 Senior Member
    My prayers go out for woodsrunner.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,461 Senior Member
    Damn sad news to hear. Prayers outbound
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,434 Senior Member
     Very sorry to hear this.

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Rich, Sincerest prayers for your healing and comfort.  

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,814 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #20
    Sorry to hear this :cry:
    Rich is a fine man

JKP, thanks for letting us know
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,410 Senior Member
    This hurts. Prayers outbound.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,885 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Sorry to hear this :cry:
    Rich is a fine man

JKP, thanks for letting us know
    Nothing I can add, indeed sad news.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,829 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear this. All I know of him is his forum name. Not even sure I ever met him at the SE shoot. His prognosis is not good. I hope he finds an alternative treatment, or that he does not suffer much in the end.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 740 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #24
    Oh no!  My heart is breaking.  I have always thought the world of Rich and dread going in to pass this along to Jerry.  Prayers for him and his sweet family, this just makes me sick! :'(
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,206 Senior Member
    Woodsrunner is one of the finest persons I ever met. Spent a couple of days visiting him after I attended the SE a few years back. Prayers to you and your family my friend. 
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    Passing is inevitable, but so is grief.  Rich, my prayers for peace & comfort are with you and your family.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,450 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #28
    I always figured working hard all the time like that would make folks impervious to catastrophic illness. Now Im thinking that a hard life inclusive of exposure to many unavoidable substances catches up to everyone eventually.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    Never met Rich, not that it mattered he was a wealth of knowledge and I will miss him.

earlyagain said:
    I always figured working hard all the time like that would make folks impervious to catastrophic illness. Now Im thinking that a hard life inclusive of exposure to many unavoidable substances catches up to everyone eventually.
    When we were young and invincible we never thought that if we lived long enough our indiscretions might some day catch up and bite us in the butt, so welcome to old age.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 544 Senior Member
    So sorry to hear this. We never met but I always enjoyed his posts. Rich, prayers are on their way for you. 
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
    Any recent updates on Woodsrunner?