Home Main Category Hunting

Nature's sense of humor

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
I don't know what plant this is, but it is maddening when chasing a blood trail.
That is not blood on the leaves and the plant is all over. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,687 Senior Member
    LOL

Yeah, we have a couple of plants with blood red leaves here that REALLY drive you nuts when tracking.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,090 Senior Member
    Ha!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,546 Senior Member
    Dang, that would make tracking interesting...
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,673 Senior Member
    Some kind of Holly?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Yeah, you have to bend over and touch every red spattered leaf to verify if blood or not. The leaves above are wet with rain making the illusion 10X worse. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,546 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Yeah, you have to bend over and touch every red spattered leaf to verify if blood or not. The leaves above are wet with rain making the illusion 10X worse. 
    Yeah rain, some urgency to the tracking to boot, good luck.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    zorba said:
    Some kind of Holly?
    That's what it looks like but my web searches verified nothing. 

Adam J. McCleod

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,755 Senior Member
    Are you sure it's not a fungus? Think they call it "leaf scorch"
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,271 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #10
    My guess is that it is Phacidium which is a fungus species which attacks tree leaves..
    Heavily infected leaves drop prematurely from the trees in the spring. Phacidium species initially causes yellow spots on the leaves of American and English holly by late spring. During the summer the spots turn red-brown then develop the characteristic black tar spot by early fall.

Bummer if you have to track an animal ......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    I'm not sure it's not a fungus, but it doesn't feel like a fungus. There is no raised/rough area on the surface of the leaf.

Adam J. McCleod

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    We had we had the same or very similar in the woods in New York.  Never noticed it until I had to help my neighbor track a deer.  Lord that sucked!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,848 Senior Member
    If there's a bunch of that stuff where you're hunting. You could always switch the 270 for something bigger.
    If there's a bunch of that stuff where you're hunting. You could always switch the 270 for something bigger.

Pay attention to the hunting threads, early.  ;)  My son shoots 270. I hunt big game with a  30-06 exclusively. 

This particular tracking event began with a 7mm-08 and a deer that was shot a bit too far back. The deer was recovered, no thanks to the red spattered foliage. 

Adam J. McCleod

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,848 Senior Member
    I hope the bullets weren't coated with molybendoverlookingforsign disillusionment. :o
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I’ve seen and dealt with very similar hell while tracking deer in a couple of states.  It’s awful.  About the only thing worse is a full-blown downpour when the deer goes down out of sight.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.