Home Main Category Clubhouse

911=DAD

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,434 Senior Member
Did a road trip Tues. Daughters car threw a rod (pretty good guess) in Indiana. Left a 0520, picked up a U drag it trailer just past Indianapolis, picked up the car, then picked her up. Got home at 1202 Wed am. 967mi.

I thought that when they were on their own they were supposed to be self contained units!!!

I'm still tired....
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,773 Senior Member

I still call my Dad for help. Haven't asked him for physical help since I was 14.. It's his perspective I seek now. I suppose daughters are bit different. We get the call, we go.....
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,242 Senior Member
    I just went and helped my brother as his transmission shelled out as he was driving out of town.  

It’s what good people do for kith and kin.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,071 Senior Member
    Good man!  That's the way it should be.

Yep, when it comes to my kids, anytime, anywhere.  But they do the same for me.  When I was being hardheaded about evacuating for a cat 5 hurricane that was headed my way, because I was out of town and was flying back the day before, my daughter showed up at my gate during my layover!  

She just talked to mom after I told both of them I was staying at home to ride out the storm, and got on a plane, met me in Atlanta, came home with me and spent the night helping me pack the car with all the irreplaceable stuff (guns :D ) and then drove back to Atlanta with me to make sure I got out of town and made it to my sisters ok.

Family does that for each other.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,257 Senior Member
    Yep, my family knows "You call, I haul (A**)"
    And my employer knows that if they put me in a position between work and family, that they're NOT going to like my choice.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 248 Member
    Yesterday. Daughters car. Oil and filter, new spark plugs and air filter all done in my driveway. Shes broke so parts and labor were on me. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :)I'm glad I didn't have to drive a couple hundred miles to fetch her and the car ....like the last time.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,999 Senior Member
    It's what we get paid for..

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    I didnt mention that I just did brakes, rotors and calipers out of my pocket for her to be safe on the trip.
    ouch
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    Yep, the black ops fund took a major hit and it was hard up as it was.

:cry:

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,071 Senior Member
    I didnt mention that I just did brakes, rotors and calipers out of my pocket for her to be safe on the trip.
    You are a good dad...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,274 Senior Member
    A few years ago I gave my brother a car & stuck 2k in it in tires & breaks so it would last him . A couple of months ago he blew the tyranny . Seems he didn't save anything so he couldn't repair it ..... just drove it with a slipping **** . That made me nuts so I had a new one put in for him ...... along with new breaks & a axle . We do go a long ways for family members that get in spots . 2019 has been an expensive year for vehicles .
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,830 Senior Member
    So did the brakes break?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 248 Member
    I draw the line when I feel like an enabler for stupid decisions and or lifestyle. We  have all made mistakes but when someone fails to learn that's when I bail.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,765 Senior Member
    Rafterman said:
    I draw the line when I feel like an enabler for stupid decisions and or lifestyle. We  have all made mistakes but when someone fails to learn that's when I bail.
    Had to take that route with my 24 yr old son. Used to always take care of his vehicles and try to teach how to do the same. He kept on letting stuff go and calling for a bail out. Told him I was done 2 years ago and to call an expensive mechanic next time. He thought he would show me by going into debt and buying a slightly used car. He is now not taking care of it the same way and will soon be on the hook for some more $. He comes by often to use my compressor to fill his failing tires. That will be the least of his problems soon!
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,781 Senior Member
    Years ago I got a call from my daughter while I was at work, "Dad the car won't start". She had taken a friend to an emergency dental clinic at 3am. She said she had tried to jump start it but it wouldn't start. I got into my work truck and was heading for the shop when something dawned on me. I pulled over and called her. "Is the car in Park?"

"Thanks Dad!"

She a brunet! 
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Rafterman said:

Some people refuse to learn. It can be very difficult with those you love but sometimes you have to draw the line.