Home Main Category Hunting

First day hunting report

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 12,046 Senior Member
Opening weekend was last weekend, but I had family stuff to attend to, so my first day of hunting was today.  Decided to take the 450 Bushmaster upper with the CVA Scout 243 pistol as a backup.

Got to the blind early this morning when it was still ‘cold’ (42 degrees), and took a nap.

Way before legal shooting light, some deer were “blowing” very near by.  No idea if they could hear, see, or smell me, but I thought that was all I would have come in.  

I leaned back and went back to my nap.

After day light broke, a couple deer came into the feeder.  Mostly small does, but then a cull-eligible 6 point came in.  He would have been a big 4 point but he had these small crab claw points way out front on his rack. Probably 3 years old... he should be culled.

but he would not present a shot.  The 1x scope on the bushmaster upper was not giving me the view I needed to thread my shot through.  The millet scope on the CVA pistol was fogging up in the wet weather.  So... I let him walk, thinking “this is how you get skunked”

in just a few minutes, a huge 8 point walks in following a mid sized doe.  I line up on him, and let the 250 grain Hornady FTX fly.
(one thing I want to say here.  I am going to be upgrading the scope on my setup.  The Millet 1X I have is great ringing steel or hitting nice bullseyes on the range.  But when you need to pick a shot through grass, around feeder legs, in low light and foggy conditions... it is nice to have some magnification to pick the anatomy you want to hit).

The buck was quartering to me, and the bullet hut the point of the shoulder, and exited just to the rear of the off side shoulder,  complete pass through, and from the limited view of the chest cavity I had, it seemed to obliterate the heart and seriously shred the lungs.  The deer ran about 30 yards in “rear wheel drive” and got his rack hung up in some holly brambles and expired.  

This is guy was a beast. Heavy, and well muscled.  Probably about 4 years old

Now I’m back in the blind to see if I can get a deer with an iron sighted handgun!
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    See.

That's not how you get skunked.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Great job! :)

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    Nicely done...great buck!

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Beautiful buck, bullsi!  Great start to the season!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,128 Senior Member
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    We know you're dragging in a bigger one you just shot with the new Redhawk you just got yesterday.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    We know you're dragging in a bigger one you just shot with the new Redhawk you just got yesterday.

I almost shot this doe just because it was such a perfect presentation on the new redhawk. 

But, I just watched her instead
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,467 Senior Member
    That’s a pretty darn nice deer ya got there. 

How do you like the Bushmaster performance?

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    That’s a pretty darn nice deer ya got there. 

How do you like the Bushmaster performance?

It knocked the heck out of that deer, and the bullet just kept on going.  From my limited necropsy, it really seemed to do a good bit of damage internally.  One thing I noticed on the last range trip was that the 450 cratered some of my rifle rated steel targets.  That really surprised me.

Odd thing- when I went to track the deer, there was not a drop of blood on the ground. There was fur, and a couple of chunks of flesh, but no blood. When I was looking for blood, I found this:

that is the poly tip from the Hornady FTX bullet.  it was about 10 feet back from where the bullet exited the deer

platform wise- I love hunting with a lightweight AR platform. Only thing I’m going to change is get a shorter primary mag since the converted 30 rounders take up a lot of space that is not needed.   That and the afore mentioned scope upgrade. Maybe doing another 1-4x
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Odd.  Isn’t it a bit late in the year for fawns to still have spots?

-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Better pic of “Spot”
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

very nice.  Congrats!

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,690 Senior Member
    I've seen spotted fawns here in MS in Nov. before. Not common though. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    Consistent with late drops...we see them up here from time to time..

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Good looking Buck, seems to be in great condition judging by the coat.
    Well done.

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,412 Senior Member
    Very nice buck!  Congrats!

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    edited November 2019 #18
    Odd.  Isn’t it a bit late in the year for fawns to still have spots?

Several here still faintly have them. 
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,504 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #19
    Very nice deer!! Congrats!

I see the parent case is the .284 Winchester, very versatile case for wildcatting, and my favorite 7MM round!!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,144 Senior Member
    Nice deer Congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Very nice deer!! Congrats!

I see the parent case is the .284 Winchester, very versatile case for wildcatting, and my favorite 7MM round!!

Maybe it's just me, but it seems the .284 Winchester is more popular as a case for wildcatting than it is in its original chambering.  I have a .284 and a .284 wildcat, and like them both.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Nice Buck!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Wanted to say "Thanks" to everyone that commented on the deer.  He was a very nice deer for this property, and the skull will be a nice addition to the wall.

But I am really looking forward to the bratwursts!  
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    👍🏻
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,207 Senior Member
    That was a good buck to take, enjoy those fresh brats
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,036 Senior Member
    Good lookn deer! Nice write up as well.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Nicely done, congratulations...……..robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO