Home Main Category Clubhouse

Officially retired

BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 274 Member
edited November 2019 in Clubhouse #1
Like I posted a month or so ago, I got laid off after 24 years at the same job.  Not been getting a lot of hits on applications.  I suspect its ageism since I'm well qualified for most I apply for.  But my resume goes back to the 70s so its obvious I'm no spring chicken.  Well poking around today looking for how much I can collect on my deceased wife's SSI, I discovered the widowed can collect beginning at age 60.   So I call SSI to try and find out how much it would be figuring not much at 60.  She tells me 1820 bucks a month.  Well hell I can live on that a few years and then switch it over to mine which will be over 2200 a month.  So I'm going to take it.  That will leave my 401k and savings intact which I was going to have to tap into in 6 months or so when severance ran out.  I can still work PT and make 18k without penalty.  So I think I'm officially retired.  Think I'll get a job at a gun store.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,030 Senior Member
    Sounds like a plan!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,981 Senior Member
    Enjoy. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,733 Senior Member
    Check on it, but I don't think you can draw SS and work at the same time until you're older than 66.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    Check on it, but I don't think you can draw SS and work at the same time until you're older than 66.
    He's drawing SSI, not SS......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    I hope it works out for you.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    Think I'll get a job at a gun store.
    You do realize that you'll be obligated to speak ballistic gibberish, recommend small pocket revolvers to everybody including grannys and engage in conspiracies at the drop of a hat.
    Just don't become this guy.
    The bewbs are not a good look on a dude.
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,574 Senior Member
    Good for you! Enjoy.  
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,917 Senior Member
    Congratulations...As of today, every day is Saturday...except for those Saturdays when the bank and the post office are closed...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 274 Member
    edited November 2019 #10
    Gene L said:
    Lady I talked to said I could. She said I could make 18,240.00 dollars without penalty.  She brought it up Not me.  But I'll check again.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,090 Senior Member
    Enjoy your retirement
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    Yup; I started drawing full SS at age 66, and didn't retire until I was almost 69.  Because I was grandfathered in, I could have kept working on working as long as I met the requirements of the job, but I didn't need any more money than what I was going to get, so I hung up my hat.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,905 Senior Member
    Enjoy, I am getting close myself 2021 and I will join you
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,934 Senior Member
    Hope it works out for you.  I started drawing SS shortly after turning 62.  I did the math, and realized the difference in overall income from SS if I waited until 66 wasn't worth it. 

Good luck.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,148 Senior Member
    Congrats!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    Congrats- enjoy your golden years but stay busy.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,779 Senior Member
    Congratulations!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    I am old enough to retire but I can't afford to so I am jealous. I hope you enjoy it and find a part time job you like.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    I am old enough to retire but I can't afford to so I am jealous. I hope you enjoy it and find a part time job you like.

I don't think any of really know what enough is to really be retired .
    It amounts to keeping busy & still making money ..... just in case .
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    You just changed jobs; now ya got all that 'stuff needing done around the house' staring you in the face.  :D 
    Congrats on retiring, though.  More range time!!!!!!  :)
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams