Home Main Category Hunting

First couple deer of the year in the freezer

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,279 Senior Member
My buddy came out from Va to hunt a couple weeks. We both finally scored after a week of hunting. I got mine on Sat evening. A nice straight 8 that scored 137 3/8. 

My buddy had been after this guy most of the week and finally got him yesterday morning. Another straight 8 with darkest brown antlers I’ve ever seen, he scored 131.  

Both shooters on our take list list are down. Neighbors not happy, but there’s always new bucks moving in and out. Still have a week left with my buddy to hunt. My take a doe. 

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,131 Senior Member
    Nice bucks!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,348 Senior Member
    Nice! congrats.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,858 Senior Member
    Those times could cradle a basket ball.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,773 Senior Member
    Great looking bucks.  Why would your neighbor not be happy?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Those are damn nice bucks.  Congrats!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,447 Senior Member
    Congrats to you and your buddy
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,974 Senior Member
    Those are two nice bucks.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,009 Senior Member
    Congrats, couple of nice racks.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,279 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Great looking bucks.  Why would your neighbor not be happy?
    My neighbors and I work a lot doing game management , trying to take only mature bucks and leave the smaller ones for years to come.  We send our pics off to our local game biologist and he helps us determine shooters and non-shooters.  These guys were on all our cameras and were shooter bucks.  My neighbor to the west has some nice shooters that have never showed up on my cameras...yet!  The rut is still in.

They were both happy and bummed that two of the shooters were down.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,773 Senior Member
    Got it. I wondered if it had something to do with the high fence dude
    Once again Great deer
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    How old were these two?  I'd guess at least 4 1/2 if you consider them shooters, may older.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Mine was 4.5 my buddies 6.5

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,692 Senior Member
    Very nice deer!  Congrats!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,561 Senior Member
    Color me jealous, those are nice bucks.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,276 Senior Member
    Excellent!
    I like the look of the country in the pics........Flat! All the hunting I seem to be doing lately is steep hilly country, the older I get, the steeper it gets..

What were the rifles/calibers if I may ask?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:
    Excellent!
    I like the look of the country in the pics........Flat! All the hunting I seem to be doing lately is steep hilly country, the older I get, the steeper it gets..

Yes, my ranch is very flat.  I used my custom Tikka I had rebarreled to 6.5 Creedmoorthis past summer.  I shot a 143 grain ELD bullet.  I blew up the lungs and heart.  He went maybe 5 yards behind a tree tuned around and came back about 3 yards and dropped.  Where he turned around the arterial spray on the ground was unreal.  The bullet really did it's job!

I shot a coyote with it last week at 260 yards.  He was trotting, misjudged the lead a bit and gut shot him.  The bullet darn near disemboweled him by about 90%.   He was an honest to goodness mess, my buddy and I had never seen that type of destruction on a bigger animal from a bullet other than P-dogs and ground hogs!

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,276 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    Excellent!

Yes, my ranch is very flat.  I used my custom Tikka I had rebarreled to 6.5 Creedmoorthis past summer.  I shot a 143 grain ELD bullet.  I blew up the lungs and heart.  He went maybe 5 yards behind a tree tuned around and came back about 3 yards and dropped.  Where he turned around the arterial spray on the ground was unreal.  The bullet really did it's job!

I shot a coyote with it last week at 260 yards.  He was trotting, misjudged the lead a bit and gut shot him.  The bullet darn near disemboweled him by about 90%.   He was an honest to goodness mess, my buddy and I had never seen that type of destruction on a bigger animal from a bullet other than P-dogs and ground hogs!
    Damn!

Might have another serious look at a 6.5 Creedmore....
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Wow, some dandy antlers there, Jeff.  Very nice!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Congratulations Jeff, those are two really nice bucks. The darkest antlers I have ever seen was on a cow horned spike, with 14" single spikes, that was harvested by my father, with a Model 600 Remington in 6mm Remington. That rifle is now in my gun safe.  robin

formerly known as HAWKEN 
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,988 Senior Member
    Nice bucks!    Good hustle!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain