Home Main Category Hunting

Brazing coyotes last night

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,113 Senior Member
This has never happened out at the ranch.  We have 5 dogs and and my sons dog for the week making it it six.  A boxer, Jack Russel mix, two border collies, yorkie and my sons Sheppard.  Yeah it's a house full.  Any how the coyotes usually avoid coming too close to the house as they don't like getting shot and shot at and dogs forever go nuts in the yard.  

We have a 6' loose horse wire fence around the backyard to "help" keep coyotes and bobcats  from getting in.  Not impossible but the loose fence is not super tight across so there wobble play if something wanted to climb it.   Yes, I know they could probably just jump it if they wanted to.  Last night at 1:05 am a pack of coyotes came right next to the side of the house and started howling.  The dogs blew out of bed and out the dog door to the backyard.  For two minutes all I heard was barking and howling.  Sounded like it was right in the backyard.  I got up and walked outside.  Two or three coyotes we're right outside the back gate barking at the dogs that kept a 20 yard distance.  They were barking and growling back and fourth at each other.  As soon as I came out I caught movement and ran into the woods about 20 yards and continued barking even with me walking towards the back gate.  When I yelled they bolted. 

No I didn't grab my gun as they normally bolt at the sight of a human.  This time they kinda stood their ground.  At 3:30 in the morning they came back and were on the driveway and started up with the dogs again.  They bolted as soon as I opened the back door. 

Going to do a bit of calling tonight.  These buggers have never been this brazen.    I'm betting if they come back tonight and start the same thing, when I shoot into the dark they'll know I'm serious.

Interesting night for sure!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,142 Senior Member
    Bold indeed.  Sounds like you need a few roadrunners to take care of the coyotes.
    People have been spotting them in the subdivisions of Plantation down here in Florida
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,113 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Bold indeed.  Sounds like you need a few roadrunners to take care of the coyotes.
    People have been spotting them in the subdivisions of Plantation down here in Florida
    I’ve seen them like that in the suburbs but not out in the middle of the country. 

Just screwy. 

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,509 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #4
    I thought this was going to be a recipe you used to cook last night. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,066 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #5
    Zee said:
    I thought this was going to be a recipe you used to cook last night. 
    That would be Braising. ;)
    I thought he was making metal coyotes from spare parts. 😁
    He does have some Brazen coyotes for sure (marked by shameless or disrespectful boldness). Set up an ambush. Can't let them dictate the terms of the environment. Let them know you own that area. Probably a new band that just moved in.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,087 Senior Member
    My coyote in Kansas were pretty damned bold...they would gather up in the barnyard for their nightly family howl...every now and then they'd sit under my bedroom window and cut loose in the wee hours...only time we had an issue was when they started poking around the chicken coop and our rooster would let us know when they crossed the line...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    And then the murders began.......
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,087 Senior Member
    Yep...there have been a few nights when I have gone out the back door buck naked except for a pair of Justins with a shotgun to light those skulking bastards up.....
    One night my neighbor came running over wearing a bathrobe and cowboy boots with his shotgun to see if I needed any help...
    Life in the country is great!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,066 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Yep...there have been a few nights when I have gone out the back door buck naked except for a pair of Justins with a shotgun to light those skulking bastards up.....
    One night my neighbor came running over wearing a bathrobe and cowboy boots with his shotgun to see if I needed any help...
    Life in the country is great!
    All that was missing was the music 😂
    You're welcome.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Well they just showed up again.  Couldn't tell how many but more than five.  They stayed 20 or 30 yards into the woods.  That was until I shot towards them into the dark but down towards the ground.   I'm betting it's a new group trying to move in.  Be curious to see if they show up later or again tomorrow night.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,960 Senior Member
    Time for NVG...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    I had my NV, though we have so much broom weed leading into the woods it makes it impossible to pick up anything.  The broom weed was a record crop across Texas this year.   I even brought out my buddies thermal scope and couldn't see anything prior to shooting into the dark.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    I can't tell if you like these coyotes or not, but if you want them actually gone, you're making it a lot more difficult than need be. First off...warning shots are not a good idea.  :)
    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Didn’t hear a peep out of them last night. Nope don’t want them around or as pets, just gone. Besides doing so calling which I’ll do this weekend I found it as the next best thing.