Home Main Category Clubhouse

Orlando cost of living

BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 274 Member
Anyone know how expensive it is to live there?  Interviewing for job there, great pay but I'd maintain two household, keeping my house and payments here so COL is an issue.

Replies

• BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 274 Member
    edited December 2019 #2
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Tons cheaper than California. Property taxes and water are expensive, everything else is cheap.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Tons cheaper than California - water and property taxes are expensive, everything else is cheap.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Tons cheaper than California - water and property taxes are expensive, everything else is cheap.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,800 Senior Member
    Orlando is pretty inexpensive as long as you stay away from the tourist areas.  FL has no state tax so you might want to swiftly establish residency.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Its only a year contract but the money is to good to pass up so I'd come back to AL when it was done
    BamaakII said:
    Its only a year contract but the money is to good to pass up so I'd come back to AL when it was done
    Gotcha, makes sense. In that case I'm sure you can find an affordable apartment somewhere or even long term Airbnb that would work for you. Orlando is a pretty transient city so not too difficult for someone in your kind of position to find a place to live.  You may also be able to rent out your current place to help defray the cost if you're willing to go through the extra hassle/risk. 
    On several occasions I've had GREAT luck renting Airbnb properties long term.  Amazing what some owners will accept to lock in someone for 6 months to a year.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Never thought of airbnb.  Good idea
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    I live 50 miles East of Orlando, compared to Colorado my auto and home owners insurance is much higher here, gas about the same and food was cheaper in Colo.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,921 Senior Member
    I live much further south, but you will find Orlando prices much higher than Alabama.
    Especially Insurance and housing.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Auto ins. is about the same as Cali, homeowners is too *IF* you have a newer home. An old one like mine is 2-3X what I was paying in California.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #13
    I live 35 miles NW from downtown Orlando. Taxes here are relatively low. compared with other areas like NY and California, No state income tax and about 7 % sales tax, depending on what county you live in. Cost of housing is typical of the Southeast. You definitely get more for your money here than in the NE or the West. I pay about 2800 per year in property tax on a 2650 sq.ft. home on a 1.125 acre lot. You get more for your money, the further away from Orlando you live. Rental property is scarce here because of the demand for it, so I don't think it's very cheap. Taxes for everything is more expensive within the city limits of Orlando, or anywhere in Orange County for that matter. If you want better value for the money, try Lake County, or Volusia County. One of the problems we have here is the Interstate (I-4) is under construction from the Disney area To Longwood. Look at google maps to see that. There's major highway improvement projects going on around the areas in the form of toll roads. They are convenient, but will cost more for the commute. I don't know where your new job will be located, but the daily travel time to it will vary greatly, depending on where it is, relative to where you live (not how far). One other thing to consider is home owners insurance. Because of the frequency of hurricanes, premiums are high in Florida, but they generally vary by county (proximity to the coastal areas). The county I live in (Lake), is one of the least expensive in Florida (there are a few others). Newer construction is charged cheaper insurance premiums than old, because of modern hurricane standards. Gas prices are not too bad. Gas is about $2.40- $2.50/ gallon now, depending on where it is, and it fluctuates like everywhere else. 2 weeks ago it was about $2.32 at Racetrac. If you would like information about anything else, (like areas to stay away from) PM me.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Speaking of commutes.  In FL it used to take me over 2 hours to travel 23 miles into downtown Miami.  Do with that what you will.  FL traffic SUCKS!!!!!!!

Yeah, South Florida is traffic hell, but Orlando is catching up.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    At least the vast majority of Florida drivers are head and shoulders above the incompetent idiots in California!

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    Do what all of Texans did when they invaded Ohio when they started fracking the Utica......

Live in a camper.......

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    edited December 2019 #18
    jbp-ohio said:
    Do what all of Texans did when they invaded Ohio when they started fracking the Utica......

Live in a camper.......

Great idea!! There are a LOT of RV parks in central Florida. It would be worth buying a used one to be able to stay in one of those parks CHEAP. Just don't stay near Disney.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    zorba said:
    At least the vast majority of Florida drivers are head and shoulders above the incompetent idiots in California!
    Maybe where you are.  Miami is a foreign country akin to living in Venezuela or Brazil, and now Orlando is becoming one too.  Being Latino myself I don’t say this to seem bigoted, but have you ever driven in Brazil or Venezuela?

Nope, just Greece. The Latinos were the biggest problem in California - S-L-O-W. I don't know if its a cultural thing, or illegals afraid of being pulled over, or what. *shrug*. Plenty of idiot whites too. Californians don't have a CLUE on how to drive in the rain either.
    Of course, the drivers here *do* have their own peculiarities, not knowing how to turn right is one of them. Turning left is a somewhat lesser problem, but the law here is different than what I was raised with/trained to do. I was confused about it until I actually asked a Sheriff's deputy.

• BarrydBarryd Member Posts: 194 Member
    You can do a cost of living comparison here;

Barry
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,921 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    Maybe where you are.  Miami is a foreign country akin to living in Venezuela or Brazil, and now Orlando is becoming one too.  Being Latino myself I don’t say this to seem bigoted, but have you ever driven in Brazil or Venezuela?
    You forgot Colombia and Cuba.  Counties where you more or less buy your divers license, the come here and seeing you already have a license, pay the fee and get a Florida license and never take a test, never learn the rules, and do not understand some of the signs.  I can handle fast drivers, I can handle slow drivers, not happy about them but can handle them.  What I can not deal with is drivers with no rules.  They are everywhere, but the real bad drivers you notice around Palm Beach county and it gets worse as you go South
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5