Home Main Category Hunting

Electronic hearing protection

GQ9GQ9 New MemberPosts: 6 New Member
I am looking for recommendations on a pair of in the ear type.

Does anyone have any experience with this one.

Electronic Hearing Protection

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I hope that one comes with a BIG jar of Vaseline, and they kiss you somewhere in the process of taking your money. It's a shame to get screwed and not get kissed!

Midway USA has a good set of electronic earmuffs for about 1/10 of that price!
    Jerry
  • GQ9GQ9 New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    "I am looking for recommendations on a pair of in the ear type"

I know about muffs, I use muffs, I am not looking for muffs.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,644 Senior Member
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Actually, my hearing aids do the same as the Walker's Game Ear. Of course most of you probably don't need hearing aids. But my digital hearing aids block sudden high decible sounds but inhance normal tones to where I can hear them. Of course, Walker's Game Ear and some others do it well enough for those that aren't hearing impaired and for a fraction of the cost. They let you hear normal sounds such as deer walking and snorting and such, but block the loud, ear damaging frequencies from gun shots.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • GQ9GQ9 New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    Thanks all!

Walkers: "but are not designed to be used as hearing protection. "
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    GQ9 wrote: »
    Thanks all!

Walkers: "but are not designed to be used as hearing protection. "

Huh? What are they designed for then? Listening to the birdies sing? What Walker's and a few others do is block out the high decible sounds of gun shots to prevent hearng damage, but they still let you hear normal tones such as animals walking on leaves, deer and hog grunts, turkey gobbles, etc.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Huh? What are they designed for then? Listening to the birdies sing? What Walker's and a few others do is block out the high decible sounds of gun shots to prevent hearng damage, but they still let you hear normal tones such as animals walking on leaves, deer and hog grunts, turkey gobbles, etc.

The higher end Walker's Game Ear products do kill muzzle blast, but the cheaper model in-ear product apparently is not designed as such. It's just a hearing enhancement.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • jacksimontonjacksimonton Posts: 10 New Member
    BigEarInc is one of the best recommendations. I use a pair of electronic earplugs for two years and which is really good for me.

After 6 years, I'm pretty sure the OP found some.

Welcome to the forum
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 323 Member
    My Walkers work great- one for each ear- they do block out muzzle blast.
    What's the difference between the generic and electronic earplugs?
    Generic earplugs block everything. (Think sticking your fingers in your ears)

Electronic plugs (and muffs) allow ear safe sounds level to pass, or even amplify them. while the electronic circuitry shuts off and blocks louder sounds. 
    They allow you to hear range commands, regular conversations and, even, possibly game approaching (while hunting) while still protecting your hearing

knitepoet said:
    Generic earplugs block everything. (Think sticking your fingers in your ears)

Electronic plugs (and muffs) allow ear safe sounds level to pass, or even amplify them. while the electronic circuitry shuts off and blocks louder sounds. 
    They allow you to hear range commands, regular conversations and, even, possibly game approaching (while hunting) while still protecting your hearing
    Thank you so much for your beautiful response.
    You're quite welcome

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,931 Senior Member
    BigEarInc is one of the best recommendations. I use a pair of electronic earplugs for two years and which is really good for me.
    You’ve been using them for 2 years and you don’t know the difference?

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:

Good point, though I wasn't going to mention it, since I'd already pointed out the futility of answering the OP on a thread that's over 6.5 years old

knitepoet said:
    GunNut said:

Good point, though I wasn't going to mention it, since I'd already pointed out the futility of answering the OP on a thread that's over 6.5 years old
    Makes my spider sense tingle when I see zombie threads with answers that have inconsistencies to just bump them up...

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

I don't have any proper idea about it, and so I'm looking for a great answer to this question.
    I'm interested to know something better here. Otherwise, I don't have any interest in wasting my time.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    I purchased mine at the BassPro Shop in Tempe, AZ.  I don't remember the brand, but they did come with an assortment of plugs to fit any size ear.  I'm glad this thread got revived, because the batteries in mine are probable dead, and out in the field would not have been a good place to figure that out.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    edited November 2019 #21
    I just repaired my original pair of Impact Sports electronic muffs again.   They get used hard but still going strong.  

GunNut said:
    I just repaired my original pair of Impact Sports electronic muffs again.   They get used hard but still going strong.  

I love it, so beautiful...
    Gila said:
    I purchased mine at the BassPro Shop in Tempe, AZ.  I don't remember the brand, but they did come with an assortment of plugs to fit any size ear.  I'm glad this thread got revived, because the batteries in mine are probable dead, and out in the field would not have been a good place to figure that out.
    You can contact the shop and I hope they must help you.