Home Main Category General Firearms

Barnes bullets

2»

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #32
    You have to remember that the older X bullets I’m guessing that you had issues with lacked the relief grooves that the newer offerings have, which Barnes has openly stated was hurting their accuracy potential.  Since a harder, monolithic copper bullet doesn’t compress like a lead-core bullet, the copper extruded by the rifling when the bullet went down the bore had nowhere to go.  The erratic copper displacement during firing is what was apparently causing the accuracy problems.

The newer TSX and TTSX bullets have multiple grooves for copper to flow out of the way when the bullet hits the rifling, alleviating the accuracy issues of yesteryear.  The 7mm-08 TTSX loads I’ve tested were .5 MOA capable from a sporter profile barrel and absolute hammers on deer.  I’ve yet to recover one.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,745 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    You have to remember that the older X bullets I’m guessing that you had issues with lacked the relief grooves that the newer offerings have, which Barnes has openly stated was hurting their accuracy potential.  Since a harder, monolithic copper bullet doesn’t compress like a lead-core bullet, the copper extruded by the rifling when the bullet went down the bore had nowhere to go.  The erratic copper displacement during firing is what was apparently causing the accuracy problems.

The newer TSX and TTSX bullets have multiple grooves for copper to flow out of the way when the bullet hits the rifling, alleviating the accuracy issues of yesteryear.  The 7mm-08 TTSX loads I’ve tested were .5 MOA capable from a sporter profile barrel and absolute hammers on deer.  I’ve yet to recover one.
    But will they pass muster in the ulitmate test, which is, of course. shooting them from a 270. :)

All kidding aside, I have no doubt they're good bullets, but most of my load development days are in the past.  I guess I'll just dance with the gal who brung me.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    But will they pass muster in the ulitmate test, which is, of course. shooting them from a 270. :)

All kidding aside, I have no doubt they're good bullets, but most of my load development days are in the past.  I guess I'll just dance with the gal who brung me.
    I can’t make any assurances in that regard 😆
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,780 Senior Member
    I think the Barnes TSSX is a terrific bullet.  If I could only have 1 bullet to use for all big game, it would be it.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain