Home Main Category Hunting

Last 5 minutes of the last day of muzzle loading season

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 12,934 Senior Member
Only the second time I was able to get out this season, got a nasty virus opening morning that sucked the energy out of me and then was playing catchup at work and at home.
I was stretching with 5 minutes of legal shooting and had to pee, fixed that problem and was closing the windows in the stand and when I got back to the original window I shut, there is 3 deer. Cussed a bit, there were no horns, but it was do or die time, got the window back open and got my rifle up and sent one at about 70 yds, Thompson Omega Z5 with a .50 Hornady Great Plains 385 gr. hollow point in front of 90 gr Blackhorn 209 and a Federal 209A primer.
She actually bucked up and took off, I thought I missed, they usually hump down when I have hit them in the past. Got my stuff packed up and walked over to look for signs of a hit and I crossed a good bright red blood trail with the tracks and started tracking, had to dig out my flashlight in the rapidly fading light. I was on my office managers parents place and was hunting with her spouse who was bow hunting about 300 yds away and he was vectoring to me from his stand and we stopped to discuss the situation a moment and continued tracking, we went about another 30-40 yds and she was piled up. I was worried I hit her too far back but it was a double lung shot with a complete passthrough so no bullet recovered.
My first deer with a muzzle loader

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    Way to go! Much better than I've done with a front-stuffer. I miss them by a mile at 50 feet. Not kidding.
    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,934 Senior Member
    Yeah I was keeping my fingers crossed, I had not shot the gun since I elk hunted with it a few years ago and I was going off that load data, I actually took out the plug and reloaded it opening morning when I found my notes, I had loaded it the night before, seems to be on the money still.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,885 Senior Member
    Just in time for Christmas!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,512 Senior Member
    That’s a Wooly Mammoth of a doe!

Well done.  
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Just in time for Christmas!
    Zee said:
    That’s a Wooly Mammoth of a doe!

Well done.  
    Thanks guys, I will try and have my butcher put her on the scale tomorrow, I will see if he will get some pictures of the entrance and exit wounds, we were in a hurry, we had to go retrieve heaters and LP tanks from 4 stands, had to put it in 4 low and creep around in the snow.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    Congrats!!!!

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,010 Senior Member
    Congrats, nicely done..
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    Nice one, Congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,326 Senior Member
    That’s a big girl!!!  Good going!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,298 Senior Member
    Very nice!  Congrats
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    Well done, Scott.  Congrats.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,512 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

“That’s a HUGE B!¥€#!!”
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Butcher says no luck with the scale, he cannot bring it into the commercial shop he works in, he will give his educated guess when he gets to cutting on it today.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,326 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:

“That’s a HUGE B!¥€#!!”

🤣🤣🤣
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,571 Senior Member
    Good job.  Firsts are important!

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Thanks again folks, there was a lot of butt time in the stand and in the field prior to getting a deer this year
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,810 Senior Member
    Great hunt hey
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Great job, Chiro!  I didn’t realize you had yet to bag one with the muzzleloader.  Very nice!  Ironically, my first ever deer was taken with a T/C muzzleloader much like yours.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    We can scope them now in MN, it would be interesting to see what one can do at 150-200 yds with a scope on one.
    CHIRO1989 said:
    We can scope them now in MN, it would be interesting to see what one can do at 150-200 yds with a scope on one.
    I stretched mine out to a little over 140 yards in Ohio with a 350 gr. bullet and it was a complete passthrough, lights out event.
    350 huh, I was thinking I was going to have to go down into the mid-200's, that is pretty cool
    edited December 2019 #23
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002230533?pid=132298#

You can definitely go that heavy, just watch your powder charge (especially with Blackhorn 209). In my case, the 350 selection was due to testing all available weights and finding that one to shoot best. That said, it was a fortunate coincidence. A bullet that heavy will drop an elk if called upon.
    I ended up with 20# of steaks and roasts and 36# of trim meat off that doe. 
    Entrance outside

Entrance inside

Exit inside

Exit outside

• HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Nicely done, congratulations! Keep yer powder dry...…….robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,914 Senior Member
    Good hustle!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    HAWKEN said:
    Nicely done, congratulations! Keep yer powder dry...…….robin
    bellcat said:
    Good hustle!
    Thanks guys, meat is off to make fresh Brats and Jalepeno/peperjack stick, terriyaki sticks, and BBQ sticks