Home Main Category General Firearms

Dillon 1100

BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
Dillon is nuckin futs IMO.  they replaced the 1050 with a new model 1100.MSRP IS 1999.00. HOLY CRAP.  It has a different primer system (like the 550) and some other minor changes for an extra 500 or so bucks.  No thanks.

Replies

• BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
    edited December 2019 #2
    Oh and unlike the rest of their presses, but like the 1050, only a 1 year warranty.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 895 Senior Member
    I think they changed the 650 also.  Now the 700.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I *believe* the important distinction is that the 1050 is/was a commercial grade press made for what amounts to factory production rates and huge amounts of use (hence the shorter warranty).  

The XL-650 that I have is a great press and was pricey at the time, but was way cheaper than the 1050 even back around 2003 when I bought it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    I *believe* the important distinction is that the 1050 is/was a commercial grade press made for what amounts to factory production rates and huge amounts of use (hence the shorter warranty).  

The XL-650 that I have is a great press and was pricey at the time, but was way cheaper than the 1050 even back around 2003 when I bought it.
    That’s correct.  Just about every gun show “independent” ammo company guy is running a Dillon 1050 or such and wearing it out pushing it way past its performance envelope.  It’s only an entry level commercial machines meant for shooters that have big ammo needs or maybe a small business like a range.  The real stuff will set you back about $30,000.
    You can get a Mark 7 which is fully automated for like 3 or 4 k. No it's not industrial like Hornady would use but will crank out twice as much as an 1100.  And without sore elbows or shoulders.  Just keep the powder bullets and primers full.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    You can get a Mark 7 which is fully automated for like 3 or 4 k. No it's not industrial like Hornady would use but will crank out twice as much as an 1100.  And without sore elbows or shoulders.  Just keep the powder bullets and primers full.
    Yep, some really nice equipment out there.  I’ve been doing some research for when I have more leisure time.
    Correction.  The fully automated. Msrk7 is 5k.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    You. would actually be shocked at how ancient some of the equipment Hornady uses for mass production actually is.  Mind you that this was years ago (like mid-200’s), but when I visited their plant in Grand Island, Nebraska, the bullet manufacturing machines we’re literally refurbished production equipment from WWII. It was just that they had a boatload of them on the floor producing about a bullet per second each.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.