Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

FYI about Lyft

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 13,032 Senior Member
Wife got this from John Lott this AM.

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,096 Senior Member
    Ok - I keep hearing about Lyft and Uber, are they that much of a "thing" these days? I'd just call a taxi myself.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,129 Senior Member
    There really is a such thing as anti gun rallies???

I wonder how many trips the Lyft driver will have to make?
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,310 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Ok - I keep hearing about Lyft and Uber, are they that much of a "thing" these days? I'd just call a taxi myself.

We never used Uber until our trip to Belgium. It turned out to be a fantastic program (app)
    Easy to pay, Driver showed up when requested at a fraction the cost of a taxi.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,466 Senior Member
    My big issue with such things. . ."What's an 'app'?"

But yeah, go figure.  They make the offer -  to people who can't afford a car, much less a firearm - of a free ride to an event where they can be bombarded with propaganda telling them how evil it is to own a car or a gun, thus keeping their minds in a place where they are constantly dependent on other people's cars for their transportation and other people's guns for their protection.  It's all about perpetuating their business.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Yes they're a big deal in most cities. Much easier and quicker than a normal taxi and usually cheaper, but not always. I rarely rent a car anymore when I fly anymore unless I'm going to be doing a lot of driving to more remote places. 

Zorba more difficult for you because mostly driven by your hated devices. You may be able to order a car without one, but not sure. 
    I'll just call a taxi or take mass transit where I can. As I very, very rarely need to call for a ride of any kind, I'll pocket the money I save by not having a "device". The money I save in ONE MONTH of non-device ownership will rent several car days! With that said, I did read somewhere something about being able to use Uber without a device but I don't remember the details as its really not on my radar so to speak.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    My big issue with such things. . ."What's an 'app'?"

But yeah, go figure.  They make the offer -  to people who can't afford a car, much less a firearm - of a free ride to an event where they can be bombarded with propaganda telling them how evil it is to own a car or a gun, thus keeping their minds in a place where they are constantly dependent on other people's cars for their transportation and other people's guns for their protection.  It's all about perpetuating their business.

Excellent. No other comment needed.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,357 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    It’s a service that allows you to call up a stranger from the Internet and get in their car.  

Seems legit.

(Just to be clear, I use Uber a LOT for work.  It is almost a company policy now to go with Uber instead of getting ripped off by cabs.  Especially in NYC and Las Vegas-  It’s almost 50% of the time that Cabs ‘long haul’ you instead of taking the shortest route)
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    I use Lyft and Uber all over the world.  It’s fast, cost effective and I’ve had about 98% great experiences with the only issues being less than clean cars with Uber.  Lyft has been 100% perfect for me.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,840 Senior Member
    I use Uber far more than Lyft personally, but until this it's mainly because my credit card comes with $200 in Uber credits a year. I've only had a few questionable experiences with ride share companies, and considering that for a long time I was taking one a few times a week that's actually pretty good. 

Uber/Lyft is such a legitimate enterprise that the .gov authorizes claiming them on travel vouchers as a taxi service. I personally can't believe Yellow Cab and the like are still in business. Every time I price shop, Uber is quicker than, and about half the cost of a cab. 

Anywho, looks like my strong preference towards Uber is even stronger now.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #11
    I use Uber far more than Lyft personally, but until this it's mainly because my credit card comes with $200 in Uber credits a year. I've only had a few questionable experiences with ride share companies, and considering that for a long time I was taking one a few times a week that's actually pretty good. 

Uber/Lyft is such a legitimate enterprise that the .gov authorizes claiming them on travel vouchers as a taxi service. I personally can't believe Yellow Cab and the like are still in business. Every time I price shop, Uber is quicker than, and about half the cost of a cab. 

Anywho, looks like my strong preference towards Uber is even stronger now.
    Shouldn’t be.  Uber has a stated policy of not “allowing” people with concealed guns to ride in their cars.  So does Lyft I believe.  

I pay as much attention to these as I do to the legally unenforceable signs at the mall and other businesses.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,793 Senior Member
    Amazing what the offer of "free stuff" gets you. Votes and car rides.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    There is a cab company - don't know how big it is - that has "Pay what you want" emblazoned on their cars (car?). I see it running around local to me on occasion.