Home Main Category Hunting

New Jersey Brant Goose Hunt

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
edited December 2019 in Hunting #1
Background: a couple of friends from Pennsylvania who hunted my new property this year wanted to pay me back with a Brant goose hunt.  As an Atlantic Flyway bird, we discussed the fact that I had no realistic opportunity to hunt these birds in the Midwest/Central Flyway, and they wanted to change that.  So, we made plans for my Christmas trip back that way to make it happen of just off of southern New Jersey’s coast.   We would also hunt diver ducks as opportunity allowed.

This was a particularly sweet arrangement because it added another state to my hunt journal and was my first ever oceanic waterfowl hunt.

Despite seeing hundreds of birds, morning action was slow with lots of spooky buffleheads moving through, too, but clearly dodging the spread after a season of pressure.  We dropped a handful, of them and then moved the setup to a distant sandbar where we saw lots of Brant traffic.  

That move was the ticket.

Within minutes, we had a Brant flock work the decoys.  Two shots later, I had my 2-bird limit.  

The trouble of bringing my shotgun along was definitely worth the price of admission for this bucket list hunt.

If time allows, we may go back again before the trip is over.  Nothing says fun like periodically moving the decoys and the boat to compensate for a falling tide!
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,218 Senior Member
    Well done!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,791 Senior Member
    Congrats to ya. 

I just can’t wrap my head around all that trouble for a 2 bird limit. It’s assuredly gotta be an interest to invest the time and effort. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,318 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Congrats to ya. 

I just can’t wrap my head around all that trouble for a 2 bird limit. It’s assuredly gotta be an interest to invest the time and effort. 
    IIRC, Six had never landed a bullet into flesh until I took him out after pdogs. He was a very apt pupil, and a monster was born. LOL!

Luis, correct me if I'm  recalling it wrong. It's been a while.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Congrats to ya. 

My main interest was getting the Brant geese since they are pretty much exclusive to this flyway, but there was a lot more to hunt than just Brants.

With 3 of us in the boat, we could bag 6 Brants (we got 3 total including mine) and 18 various ducks (we got 4).  We had to stop when the low tide forced us out, but the potential for 24 total birds is definitely a worthwhile outing.
    Zee said:
    Congrats to ya. 

IIRC, Six had never landed a bullet into flesh until I took him out after pdogs. He was a very apt pupil, and a monster was born. LOL!

Luis, correct me if I'm  recalling it wrong. It's been a while.

Mike

Mike - 

I had actually hunted small game in form of rabbits and squirrels on very limited occasions before we went for pdogs, but it was hardly a consistent pursuit.  Once I got seriously into rifles with you, the floodgates opened.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,791 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    Zee said:
    Congrats to ya. 

My main interest was getting the Brant geese since they are pretty much exclusive to this flyway, but there was a lot more to hunt than just Brants.

With 3 of us in the boat, we could bag 6 Brants (we got 3 total including mine) and 18 various ducks (we got 4).  We had to stop when the low tide forced us out, but the potential for 24 total birds is definitely a worthwhile outing.
    That makes a little more sense. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    edited December 2019 #8
    Zee said:
    Six-Gun said:
    Zee said:
    Congrats to ya. 

That makes a little more sense. 
    Yeah, if it were one guy humping all of his crap out there and footing the fuel bill for 8 total birds...well, to each his own, but I doubt I would do it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that New Jersey put a cramp in the hunt.  They wouldn’t sell me a printable online license until I provided proof of hunter safety completion in person to an authorized license dealer.  That got us on the water about 40 minutes late.  The closest dealer to our spot was a Walmart, but they weren’t open after Christmas until 7AM, well after legal shooting time started.  I have a strong feeling we lost a ton of chances at first light.
    Well... I was close.....LOL!

Mike
    N454casull
    Well... I was close.....LOL!

Mike
    Hey - your time taught me a lot more than blasting rabbits in a buddy’s back yard garden!
    Not really me, my friend. 5K acres with unlimited small targets taught you more in a few weekends than I could teach in a lifetime of hunting seasons.

Mike
    N454casull
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,929 Senior Member
    Great Christmas hunt!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member

Cool hunt, Luis.  I agree with Mike, you're a hunting demon!

I have to ask.  Are brants decent as table fare?

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    edited December 2019 #14

We’re gonna find out.  The breast are soaking in milk right now for tomorrow’s lunch.
    Lunch.....goose......
    Sounds worth the drive, Luis!

Mike
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:

We’re gonna find out.  The breast are soaking in milk right now for tomorrow’s lunch.
    Looking forward to your range report. 
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.