Home Main Category General Firearms

1911 modification opinions???

earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member

The guy is correct in that I've never seen one like it.

My inexpexperienced amateur opinion is that it is some expensive machining that's not needed. My plain old cheap 1991A1 has never had a stoppage that wasn't magazine induced, including one batch of handloads I messed up the COAL. Also including sub zero temps.

It would be novel on an expensive gun though. As long as it was done right.

Just asking for discussion sake???

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,746 Senior Member
    Not necessary but would make for a smoother cycling firearm.
    Of course, you can spend quality time at the range smoothing it out by actually shooting it. 😁
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Now that you mention it I think the blocks underside on my slide has a smoothed sheen to it from use.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,391 Senior Member
    OK. . .maybe on a Bullseye gun built to shoot gutless loads with gutless springs.

Otherwise. . .WHY????
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,037 Senior Member
    I can understand where the guy is coming from, but I lack the knowledge as to whether or not its a good idea. Seems it would decrease the side loading on the disconnector, and yea, make the gun run smoother. But what about the change in dwell time for the disconnector?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Im guessing the timing is calculated into the length of the transition.

It could be a way for talented smiths to show off their skill on an expensive highly embelished gun. But its invisible well assembled and un-distinguishable unless shot by discriminating hands.

Some people love extra embellishment and machining on these guns and will gladly pay for it. To me its an interesting curiosity.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Bigslug nailed it. :smile:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    A special story to warm our holliday hearts <3

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,906 Senior Member
    "That's because you're stupid" That's funny
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,286 Senior Member

Look at that shelf behind him, the garage sale after Jerry passes away is going to be an event.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:

Look at that shelf behind him, the garage sale after Jerry passes away is going to be an event.
    I doubt it.  His daughter will take over.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,286 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

I doubt it.  His daughter will take over.
    I doubt that, there is NO WAY dad does not have his daughters guns dialed in with loads, she is going to stick with what works. There looks to be a lot of variety on that shelf.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Come on guys. You know every box only has 2 or 3 bullets in it. That's why they're tossed on a shelf and not empty in the trash.
    Guy can shoot as good as he tells stories.

• GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #15
    I'm not going to look for it, but Jerry's world record for 12 rounds with a revolver is something to see.  There's a reload involved in it.
    No good deed goes unpunished...