Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

California prop 12

kansashunterkansashunter Senior MemberPosts: 1,872 Senior Member
I have been hearing some talk about what is going to happen when this takes effect in 2020. I was just reading an article about prop 2 and egg production dropped 35% and egg prices rose 33% after it went into effect. I don't know how much pork production there is in California but I haven't heard of farms outside of there changing just to sell there. If prices rise enough someone will fill that void but I would expect pork prices to go up, maybe more than the eggs did.   

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,492 Senior Member
    Hmmm. . .several of the major fast food have been plugging plant-based, meat-substitute burgers and tacos over the last year or so.  There hasn't been any overt vegan/SPCA/Greenpeace message cached in the advertising - just the statement that it's not meat and people eating it (supposedly) can't tell the difference.  Maybe one shouldn't be to hasty to reach for one's tinfoil hat, but it does seem a mite conspiratorial.

Kinda have to wonder what kind of economy these loons want if ALL the food in the state ends up being imported. 
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

Kinda have to wonder what kind of economy these loons want if ALL the food in the state ends up being imported. 

Cali is well on it's way to banning imported food as well. Kangaroo, foie gras, and in 2020, alligator products. 

California outright banned horse and dog meat. Banned trapping so those animals are off the menu. Some shark species and some other fish. The greenies really want beef gone. They want hunting and fishing gone. 

Give them time, they'll get around to banning all animal products. 

Then they'll go after veggie farms that kill pests. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,248 Senior Member
    Maybe some of you farmers can answer this for me. Ive suspected that American and even world pork production teeters on a vicarious edge. The animals seem prone to viral disease that adapts to and resist antibiotics, and spreads like wild fire. Its kind of a fear/worry Ive had for awhile.

Any truth to it?????
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 333 Member
    Parts of SOCAL had more cows than people at one time.  Could not even drink the yap water for all the cow piss in it.Probably not any longer.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,078 Senior Member
    Maybe some of you farmers can answer this for me. Ive suspected that American and even world pork production teeters on a vicarious edge. The animals seem prone to viral disease that adapts to and resist antibiotics, and spreads like wild fire. Its kind of a fear/worry Ive had for awhile.

Any truth to it?????
    They have modified their protocols for coming and going in the barns per USDA recommendations, they are doing fine in my neck of the woods, MN produces a lot of pork, now if the Chinese were to start buying their pork again, they would be quite happy
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Good!
    I like pork🐷
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,078 Senior Member
    Good!
    I like pork🐷
    We have a couple of farms that work with the local meat lockers, it is amazing how much better it is when you get it directly from a farmer. We have one farm that HAS their own locker, best ham hands down, the kids don't want to eat anything else for the holidays.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,872 Senior Member
    Early I will try to answer that as best I can but I have not been around hog production for several years. I do not know of any viral disease that have become immune to antibiotics. Prrs was a big problem for a while but they developed a vaccine for that. Antibiotic use is way down in all livestock with the implementation of the vet. feed directive. The big scare now is African swine fever, it has no treatment or vaccine. Hopefully it will not make it to here. One good thing about large confinement facilities is they have a biosecurity system in place. If ASF gets her it will be bad as they don't know enough about it yet but USDA is working on finding answers.
    Good to know. Thanks Kansas. All Ive come across on the subject is either in the general news or the am radio AG reports.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Antibiotics do nothing for viruses. They only work on bacterial infections.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,872 Senior Member
    I did not know that Jerm. That would help explain why there is no treatment for ASF. Do you know if they can develop a vaccine for a virus? 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,616 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #13
    I did not know that Jerm. That would help explain why there is no treatment for ASF. Do you know if they can develop a vaccine for a virus? 
    Not Jerm, but to answer your question.... MAYBE
    Some viruses, like HIV, mutate so quickly that they can't, while other, more "stable" viruses, like the chicken pox, they can.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    What Paul said. If you have a strep infection (strep throat) antibiotics will help. When you have flu or the common cold (both viral infections) antibiotics are useless. They have vaccinations and anti-viral medications for those. Vaccinations typically need to be used before hand to work while the anti-virals have a long way to go.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    The last AG report I listened to. Iowa farmers had finally found an antibiotic to successfully combat the latest resistant strain. That was a few years ago, but it seems to be a reoccurring or at least an always lurking potential problem. It sounds like presently at least, its well in hand.