Home Main Category General Firearms

One of my Christmas gifts from my wife...

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
One piece vintage Sambar Stag grips for the 7.5” Charcoal blue Uberti 1873.

I need to finish fitting them.  One piece grips are not drop-in but they are not very far off.  


Replies

  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,554 Senior Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,467 Senior Member
    Pretty nice. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I can't get over how nice the bluing is on that gun.

    Pietta bought the old tooling for Great Western Arms. They're making very close copies of the original Colt SAAs with identical lock work except a coil hand spring, and almost identical dimensions for about 5 bills. From photos, the Uberti has a finish no one else can touch.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,144 Senior Member
    Very Nice
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    I'm with Early. Nice grips, but that bluing is incredible.

    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Thanks gents!  Yes several times I’ve actually had the cash and was ready to pull the trigger on a real Colt SAA but I backed off because I’d feel bad bout putting the wear on something that is a collectible out of the box.  Like you guys have said, the Ubertis are great clones and a FANTASTIC value under any set of rules.  Their fit and finish is as good as guns costing a lot more cash.  I don’t understand why they can do this in Italy and we can’t do it here...

    The charcoal bluing on this gun (and every example I’ve seen) is just gorgeous.  It’s a great gun to hold on your lap while you watch the old westerns 😁

    Anyway I’ve been doing my research with the local SASS clubs and I just picked up my last piece of gear I needed, a pair of old time stove pipe top boots, so the kit is complete.  I’ll be playing cowboy soon again.  I’m also getting REALLY close to start riding again too and since NC is an open carry state and you can carry in National Forests I’ll be packing this gun is cowboy leather while horseback!  
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,986 Senior Member
    Be sure to shoot it off into the air at least 20 times per 100 feet! ;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Only if I get attacked by flying Indians...
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,128 Senior Member
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,928 Senior Member
    Those stag grips make a very good looking revolver even better.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Cool
    rberglof said:
    Those stag grips make a very good looking revolver even better.
    Thank you!
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
    I debated for a while on ubertti or vaquero.  The triggers on ubertti are great but you don't really use them in SASS.  I chose the robustness of the ruger..  I did chose the ubertti 1873 rifle.  Beautiful bluing and wood.

    That is a beautiful example.  What rifle and shotgun you going to use?  What class you plan to shoot in?  I shot 49er.  You get a cart yet?  If not check out rugged gear.  They are about the best but pricey.  Spend the extra few bucks on the fuzzy protectors where your rifle clamps in at the top, protects the wood.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    I debated for a while on ubertti or vaquero.  The triggers on ubertti are great but you don't really use them in SASS.  I chose the robustness of the ruger..  I did chose the ubertti 1873 rifle.  Beautiful bluing and wood.

    That is a beautiful example.  What rifle and shotgun you going to use?  What class you plan to shoot in?  I shot 49er.  You get a cart yet?  If not check out rugged gear.  They are about the best but pricey.  Spend the extra few bucks on the fuzzy protectors where your rifle clamps in at the top, protects the wood.
    I originally shot Vaqueros and I have an old Vaquero in .44 Mag that will probably become a set for the more intense shooting sessions.  I’m starting with the Ubertis.  The rifle is the ‘73 I picked up not too long ago and the shotgun will be my all original ‘97.  Don’t have a cart yet, will be looking shortly.  Thanks for the recommendation!  Will probably be shooting duelist.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Very nice!

    You know we’re gonna need pics of you in full regalia, right?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    Very nice!

    You know we’re gonna need pics of you in full regalia, right?
    Yep.  Will work on that 😁
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
    Rugged gear carts fold Down to maybe 8 inches high.  The rear wheels and axle come off in just a few seconds.  It will fit in the trunk of a rather small car. I have their 4 gun cart.  Whatever you get, larger rubber wheels make moving around the terrain at ranges much easier.  There is a ton of storage on the cart as well as a large mesh bag to drop cartridges and hulls into.  A bag in the front, a rain cover and room for a case of shotgun shells under the rifles.  They do make a smaller 2 gun version that would serve you well.  If your range is muzzle up, I'd recommend the 4 gun.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    Rugged gear carts fold Down to maybe 8 inches high.  The rear wheels and axle come off in just a few seconds.  It will fit in the trunk of a rather small car. I have their 4 gun cart.  Whatever you get, larger rubber wheels make moving around the terrain at ranges much easier.  There is a ton of storage on the cart as well as a large mesh bag to drop cartridges and hulls into.  A bag in the front, a rain cover and room for a case of shotgun shells under the rifles.  They do make a smaller 2 gun version that would serve you well.  If your range is muzzle up, I'd recommend the 4 gun.
    Nice!  Thanks for the info.  I’ll be looking into this after the Holidays for sure!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    That is a fine looking firearm!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Thanks, swiftly becoming a favorite.  Funny I was never a fan of the 7.5” barreled SAAs until I bit the bullet and got one in a buy of opportunity.  Now I like them almost better than my shorter barreled ones.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement