Home Main Category Clubhouse

A friendly, medical, PSA

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,261 Senior Member
In a different thread, "antibiotic resistant infections" were mentioned.

For those of you not in the medical field, thought I'd give a condensed version of how they came to be... (and continue to)

You have an infection, the Dr prescribes you antibiotic "X" to combat it after doing a culture and sensitivity test. Depending on the causative bacteria, some of them (the most susceptible ones) will start being killed with the first couple of doses. The less susceptible one will still be alive, but weaker. 

As you continue taking the antibiotics (exposing the bacteria to them) the affects move up the chain to the stronger and stronger bacteria.

At some point, enough of the bacteria will have been killed so that you start feeling better. but not ALL of them are dead.

SOME people decide, "Well, I feel better, so there's no need to finish my antibiotics."
This leaves the bacteria that's least susceptible alive. 

Some of this bacteria escapes your body through bandages, or however. Now a slightly stronger strain of the bacteria exists.

Now someone else gets an infection with that slightly stronger strain. "Wash rinse and repeat" someone not taking all the needed antibiotics enough times and eventually there will be a strain of that bacteria that is resistant to antibiotic "X"

In a nutshell, that's the short version of how the antibiotic resistant infections came into being, with more and more appearing.

The take away? Even if you're feeling better before you finish your prescribed antibiotics, take all of them anyway.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,832 Senior Member
    That is completely correct - and yet there are people who deny evolution. Wife had a case of MRSA years back, caught in the hospital in which she worked.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,808 Senior Member
    Very important to take ALL prescription of antibiotics.  If you stop short, regardless of you feeling well, the infection will run its course and return.  And the bad news is it's now antibiotic resistant.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Just as bad are those who self-medicate.  Any drug can be obtained in Mexico, and antibiotics is probably the most common type of drug abuse near the border.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,414 Senior Member
    thats what i hear, and to me it makes sense.

I also think that patience/Drs. Overprescribed them too.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    May as well add what they taught me in nursing school-- it takes someone 7 days to get over the flu/common cold without antibiotics, and a week with them. In other words, antibiotics do not work on viral infections. They only work on bacterial infections.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,242 Senior Member
    May as well add what they taught me in nursing school-- it takes someone 7 days to get over the flu/common cold without antibiotics, and a week with them. In other words, antibiotics do not work on viral infections. They only work on bacterial infections.
    Yup.  But when someone went to the Doc, and the doc could only say “Drink fluids, get some rest, watch bad TV”... well, that was just unacceptable.  The patient wanted the Doc to DO SOMETHING!

It was easier to prescribe antibiotics then to tell the patient/ customer “Life sucks, get a helmet”.  So we had a lot of people prescribed unneeded antibiotics.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 361 Member
    and then you get some one like me , who takes very little in the way of antibiotics, if ever, and has the 1%of the 1% reactions with them. So to put it plane, if there is a biological mess up in my response area, I go I with gear on knowing that I may die or be down in a coma with massive drips  for weeks to fix me. Trust me it sucks , But I do know that the sacrifice of one to save many is a good thing.

If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.