Home Main Category Clubhouse

NEW KNIFE SHARPENER

124»

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,130 Senior Member

Time to see what knives I can screw up with this
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    You are going to love this thing.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I have been playing with mine and here are my thoughts.  It is a mini belt sander / grinder and therefore needs to be treated as such.  My ax was dull and it needed an edge.  It doesn't need to be razor sharp, and the rough belt leaves an edge that is like a finely serrated edge, and is suitably sharp for field tools.  Too fine an edge dulls too quickly.  I have a few knives I use at my bench for various tasks, that need to be sharp enough.  The finer belts did not work well, and they needed a ceramic edge polishing.

I have noticed the Worksharp sharpens a blade in both directions,  pulling the belt against one side, and then pushing the belt into the knife edge on the other.  While pushing into the knife edge to polish on a stone might be appropriate for some rough sharpening, I do not think it works well with this tool.  If you use the side of the belt that is pulling away from the blade I get a better overall result.

My conclusions, rough field tools, like machetes, lawn mower blades, hatches and axes it is a definite winner in saving time. Kitchen knives are OK for tuning them up then taking them to a ceramic or diamond steel.  My hunting and personal knives would need to be in pretty bad shape for me to use this in my current state of evaluation.  I need to try the Flitz thing for stropping / polishing.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I can tell you where it DEFINITELY shines.  I have some custom knives made out of D2, a steel known for being harder than woodpecker lips and a BITCH to sharpen, but once it's sharp, your grandkids will be shaving with it before you need to touch it up.  Real D2 (not the fake stuff they sell on eBay) is not for the novice knife owner and I was told so by my knife maker.  

I still insisted that I wanted a few D2 knives in my collection.  They arrived very sharp!!!  BUT, never took the edge I needed to have to make me happy.  After a few years I almost started regretting my steel selection, until I got my Worksharp.  Now my D2 steel knifes have the edge I always wanted from them and when they are stored for long periods of time (yes knives get dull in storage because of micro oxidation that happens on the edge) a few passes on a superfine ceramic rod and they are back to shaving shape.  And unlike other knives with a super sharp edge, these suckers just don't go dull anymore.

BTW two of these knives are made out of 1/3" stock.  Any of you guys know how tough it is to take such thick stock to a super sharp edge?  It's to say the least, challenging!!!!  Unless you have a WS...
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,093 Senior Member
    For me, its fantastic! I don't know "what from" when it comes to knives or sharpening them - they're so VERY much better than they EVER were before, that I think its a miracle!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(