Home Main Category General Firearms

Red dot for pistol

JKPJKP Senior MemberPosts: 2,538 Senior Member
My Canik TP9SFX is optic ready so it obviously needs one!

I have a Vortex Venom 3 MOA on my FNP45 Tactical and it's been a solid choice. 

I know some of y'all keep up with these things better than I do - what's the latest and greatest for a $400 pistol whose only job is to kill paper and ding steel?

Replies

• BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
    edited December 2019 #2
    I had a vortex venom on a 9mm and it did not stand up to competition shooting.  I now have a delta point pro and so far so good.  Imo unless you shoot a lot, a 3 moa dot can be hard to pick up.  I like the 7 moa triangle on my DPP, easy to find and plenty bright.  Plus auto shutoff and turn on.  A lot of people like the cmore RTS and the vortex razor is supposed to stand up better than the venom.  For SD auto on feature is a must IMO.

Edit to add-whatever you get, go with a brand that has a lifetime warranty.  You'll need it some day.  Electronics just don't stand up to repeated shock well.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    What's your budget? I beat the crap put of my RMR (type 1) on my EDC G19, and Type 1's are available for $350 or so. 

For a hobby gun, the Holosun HS507C seems to be highly regarded and can be found for $250 pretty regularly. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
    Budget is flexible as I'm a fan of buy once cry once. Don't need to go overboard though as this isn't a SD gun. 
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
    One thing to be aware of, just cause its cut for a red dot does not mean they all fit. I had to buy an adaptor plate to fit my M&P .
    What's your budget? I beat the crap put of my RMR (type 1) on my EDC G19, and Type 1's are available for $350 or so. 

For a hobby gun, the Holosun HS507C seems to be highly regarded and can be found for $250 pretty regularly. 
    Holosun just went on sale at PSA. Likely ordering that. 
    I have a fast fire waiting for when I find a SFX for a decent price, but got it free with my AR332. I've used on my Smith 22A and seems fine, but a few hundred rounds of .22 not quite a torture test.
    Grabagun has the all black SFX for $410. 
    Got the Holosun mounted. Like it so far, mounting was uneventful with the plate provided (one of four provided by Canik) with the pistol. 

The solar panel on top looks odd but if it works as advertised I can see the utility.