Home Main Category General Firearms

Gonna try a RRA upper in .450 Bushmaster

2»

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #32
    sakodude said:
    knitepoet said:
    One other thing, the SOCOM, I believe, isn't Ohio legal, since it isn't a straight walled case
    If I were to do one it would just be for fun, not hunting I expect. 
    .270 Win for the win!
    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    In case anyone else is interested (Zee?...), since I ordered my 450 BM upper, Midway dropped the price another $40 for their AR Stoner brand. Complete upper with BCG for $240. Nothing fancy by any means. But it has potential for that price.. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019500940?pid=466691

Damn enabler!!!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    🤪

Well, it was kinda aimed at one dude who’s expressed a little interest here and there. But he’s not biting, so I’ll take an innocent bystander if I have to.. 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,552 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    🤪

Well, it was kinda aimed at one dude who’s expressed a little interest here and there. But he’s not biting, so I’ll take an innocent bystander if I have to.. 
    Well it's in the cart, just struggling with the age old conundrum of permission vs forgiveness  :#
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    Jay said:
    🤪

Well it's in the cart, just struggling with the age old conundrum of permission vs forgiveness  :#
    “Oh, wow, honey - look what fell off of Santa’s sleigh!” 
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Oh, and I am pretty excited to try my Accurate mold custom cast bullets through RRA upper.  I ordered some Linotype to melt down and make up a batch hard enough to take the higher chamber pressure that the 450 BM dishes out (hopefully) without leading the bore.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    Midway is blowing out the Nikon scopes.  The 2-7x32 I put on mine is now $109 with free shipping:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020889359?pid=643451
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Midway is blowing out the Nikon scopes.  The 2-7x32 I put on mine is now $109 with free shipping:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020889359?pid=643451

That's a pretty good deal and difficult to pass up.  If I hadn't just spent my pocket money on dies, bullets, brass and a magazine for mine, I'd be much more tempted to jump on that.  I haven't decided yet if I want to do a red dot or scope on mine.  I've also considered getting the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x scope to replace the 1-6x that's currently on my 308 AR.  Then put the 1-6x on the 450. The 308 could potentially use the extra magnification and the 1-6x would be about right for a 200 yard big bore. Decisions....

I did get my 450 upper and all the supplies yesterday.  It was at that point I realized I don't have enough powder to load much of anything for it.  Gonna have to make it by Sportsmans or Cabelas and pick up some powder in the next couple of days.  If I can get that and load some test loads and find a spare scope laying around the man cave, might get it out to shoot this weekend.

For that price, I just ordered one of those ProStaff scopes just to have it sitting around!  That’s a screaming deal - too good to pass up.
    edited January 2020 #41

Well, it came in just a few days before I deploy for a good long while.  It’s suited up (for now, during load development) with a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm w/standard duplex reticle on their Mark AR 1” base/ring setup.  That may become a 2-7x32mm Nikon ProStaff depending on how I’m feeling about recoil, etc.  

It looks great and feels fantastic in the hand.  Rock River did an excellent job with fit and finish on this one.  We’ll see if a range trip is doable before time runs out.
    edited January 2020 #42
    Nice!  Looks good. Being much higher quality than my build, my bet is you’ll have far fewer, if any, issues with yours. 👍
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #43
    Jayhawker said:
    snake284 said:
    Diver43 said:
    I have the strike Eagle 1-6 on my 6.8spc that I like a lot. At first I wished I had gotten the 1-8, but for my use it stays around 2 or 3 anyways. Being in your location you will get much longer shot opportunities though. Brownells had a great sale which included a mount. They are pretty decent scopes in my opinion 

Diver, have you killed game with the 6.8 and if so, how did it perform? And what bullet do you recommend?
    Snake...I have killed a bunch of deer and coyote with my 6.8 using 110 grain Hornady BTHP Match bullets...I have also had good luck with the 120 grain SST.

Well, I've joined the AR ranks now in traditional .223 so might as well get me another upper in something a little bigger. And since I already like the diameter I might as well head that direction.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    Jayhawker said:
    snake284 said:
    Diver43 said:
    I have the strike Eagle 1-6 on my 6.8spc that I like a lot. At first I wished I had gotten the 1-8, but for my use it stays around 2 or 3 anyways. Being in your location you will get much longer shot opportunities though. Brownells had a great sale which included a mount. They are pretty decent scopes in my opinion 

Diver, have you killed game with the 6.8 and if so, how did it perform? And what bullet do you recommend?
    Snake...I have killed a bunch of deer and coyote with my 6.8 using 110 grain Hornady BTHP Match bullets...I have also had good luck with the 120 grain SST.

Well, I've joined the AR ranks now in traditional .223 so might as well get me another upper in something a little bigger. And since I already like the diameter I might as well head that direction.
    For the distances you’ve mentioned hunting, with a good 3.5-10x scope of your choosing, I cannot imagine a scenario where this big bore (with a good brake) would fall short for you.  

As I learned, however, be sure that the bullet you choose with withstand whatever velocity you end up getting.  Remember that most of your bullet choices are re-purposed handgun or lever rifle bullets and velocities need to be kept in check accordingly.
    Six-Gun said:
    snake284 said:
    Jayhawker said:
    snake284 said:
    Diver43 said:

For the distances you’ve mentioned hunting, with a good 3.5-10x scope of your choosing, I cannot imagine a scenario where this big bore (with a good brake) would fall short for you.  

As I learned, however, be sure that the bullet you choose with withstand whatever velocity you end up getting.  Remember that most of your bullet choices are re-purposed handgun or lever rifle bullets and velocities need to be kept in check accordingly.

I slept on the thoughts of my last post last night and i'm inclined to agree with you six. This is one case where the bigger the better.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    I slept on the thoughts of my last post last night and i'm inclined to agree with you six. This is one case where the bigger the better.
    Snake - 

Another recommendation if you do go with this round is to pick up some the coated stainless steel Dura-Mag .450 Bushmaster magazines.  Never used their stuff previously but Rock River included one with my upper.  I also paid for them to throw in a second one as backup.  

These absolutely feed like butter.  I didn’t realize it at the time, but they ditched the idea of using a modified .223 mag and made a mag specifically for the .450 BM with custom geometries that apparently make for flawless feeding.  I had zero issues and would buy another in a heartbeat.

https://dura-mag.com/product/duramag-ss-450-bushmaster-stainless-steel/
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    KSix-Gun said:
    snake284 said:
    Jayhawker said:
    snake284 said:
    Diver43 said:

I am not a reloaded (yet).  Wouldn’t bullets commonly used for 45-70’s work?
    edited January 2020 #48
    I am not a reloaded (yet).  Wouldn’t bullets commonly used for 45-70’s work?
    Unfortunately, no.  The 45-70 calls for a .458” diameter bullet.  

The .450 Bushmaster uses the same .452” diameter bullets as the .45 ACP/.45 Colt/.460 S&W/.454 Casull gang.
    sakodude said:
    knitepoet said:
    One other thing, the SOCOM, I believe, isn't Ohio legal, since it isn't a straight walled case
    If I were to do one it would just be for fun, not hunting I expect. 
    .270 Win for the win!
    Mike

I have you know my .270 is plumb deadly on possums and jack rabbits, within 30 yards.
    Six-Gun said:
    snake284 said:
    Snake - 

Another recommendation if you do go with this round is to pick up some the coated stainless steel Dura-Mag .450 Bushmaster magazines.  Never used their stuff previously but Rock River included one with my upper.  I also paid for them to throw in a second one as backup.  

These absolutely feed like butter.  I didn’t realize it at the time, but they ditched the idea of using a modified .223 mag and made a mag specifically for the .450 BM with custom geometries that apparently make for flawless feeding.  I had zero issues and would buy another in a heartbeat.

https://dura-mag.com/product/duramag-ss-450-bushmaster-stainless-steel/

If I do this it won't happen until Tax Return time. I need to quit reading stuff here before I go totally broke. I went to my LGS this morning and ask about the 450 and my gun guy started laughing. He said he hasn't sold a hand full of those until recently. He said they've gotten terribly popular the last month or so.