Home Main Category General Firearms

Do I have black powder or nitro powder ?

AjamesAjames Posts: 42 Member
so i got some gunpowder for free from a friend of mine i want to make 7.65 ammo. Is this black powder or is it the right powder to use ?

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,546 Senior Member
    Does your friend even like you?? It's not black powder but who knows what the hell it is. Unless you ID the stuff and find load data for it, it's garbage!!
    What kind of 7.65 ammo, rifle or pistol. 

BTW, welcome aboard! This is the right place for answers!!
  • AjamesAjames Posts: 42 Member
    Hello, i want to make 7.65 pistol ammo
    Can it be ID’d now ?

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,161 Senior Member
    Best way I know to turn a pistol into a pipe bomb...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    What you have there is excellent garden fertilizer.
    Looks like that stuff is made by PB Clermont, a company in Belgium and distributed in the US under the Ramshot name. https://www.smallcaliberpropellants.com/en/our-products

Try contacting Ramshot for load data and powder ID. PB 504 may cross refence to one of their powders.
    i want to make .32 acp with it somebody that can help me where i can contact somebody who knows how many grams i have tocput in there or would you recommend me contacting the company
    edited January 2020 #10
    Have you done any reloading at all? What kind of press are you working with? What kind of dies? What primers are you using?
    At this point, it sounds as if you may be new at the game...

Might be a better idea just to go out and buy a box of .32 ACP than attempting to roll your own...
    Jayhawker said:
    Have you done any reloading at all? What kind of press are you working with? What kind of dies? What primers are you using?
    At this point, it sounds as if you may be new at the game...

Might be a better idea just to go out and buy a box of .32 ACP than attempting to roll your own...
    CCI small pistol primers no. 550,
    magtech 7.65 cases and bullets

want to buy a hornady lock n load AP press.

its my first time pressing yes but i have gunpowder now and want to use it and will do anything to keep it safe.

edited January 2020 #12
    Found this table their 514 powder can go in 7.65 and .38 special my powder the 504 is only in the .38,.357 magnum table.

.38 special every bullet needs according to the table (504) with a 148 g WC bullet head 0,26 grams of powder. The 514 which is also in the 7.65 needs 0.149 grams of powder in the .38 special which means the 514 powder is way stronger with these information cant i do a math sum so i know exactly how much i have to put in the 7.65 ?

so the 504 powder i have is compared to the 514 powder less powerful and is loaded with 0.111 grams more powder. 7.65 needs 0.097 grams of the 514 powder so if i put my powder in it it means i have to put 0.097 plus 0.111 which makes 0.208 grams of my powder is the right grams of powder that have to be put in there ? Or am i saying something really stupid

• wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,150 Senior Member
    To me it looks like you have obtained an open 504 container that has some powder in the bottom of it. You don't know for sure what powder it is.Do "not" trust that powder!!!  It could be anything that somebody dumped in it. 

By the questions you're asking I'll assume that you're new to reloading. Please go the the loading manual as far as what powder to use and the starting/max loads. Don't try to conger up your own recipes. A kaboom is not good for your health.

Denny 
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,419 Senior Member
    Ajames said:
     Or am i saying something really stupid

Yes.

You can not cross reference powders like that.  It looks like what you have is designed for use in handgun cartridges and is probably a fast burn rate powder.  If you do what you're talking about, you WILL blow your gun up.

Several people have already cautioned against doing this and have offered good advice.  You should really learn more about the loading process before you start trying to come up with your own rules.  This is something that can hurt of kill you.

I would dump that powder out and get rid of it.  Buy powder that is designed for your application and ONLY use published load data, exactly as the load data states. Or at the very least, contact the manufacturer of that powder and ask them about it.  They will steer you in the right direction.

edited January 2020 #15
    Like Denny said. If you're not the person that opened the paper seal beneath the lid of the container. Positive verification of the contents has been compromised.

The 32acp is very small and unforgiving of mistakes. The guns chambered for it are the same. Some are old and finely made, deserving of a kind and gentle hand. They won't be forgiving of excess.

Reloading is a great hobby. By all means take it up. Just do so with caution.
    wddodge said:
    To me it looks like you have obtained an open 504 container that has some powder in the bottom of it. You don't know for sure what powder it is.Do "not" trust that powder!!!  It could be anything that somebody dumped in it. 

By the questions you're asking I'll assume that you're new to reloading. Please go the the loading manual as far as what powder to use and the starting/max loads. Don't try to conger up your own recipes. A kaboom is not good for your health.

Denny 
    Ive weighed it its 500 grams exactly as it says on the package im sure its the right powder. Maybe make some .38 special bullets then ? I have a .38 special revolver. I can test it in my vise putting a cord around the trigger and shoot it while standing on a safe place
    Jay said:
    Ajames said:
     Or am i saying something really stupid

Yes.

You can not cross reference powders like that.  It looks like what you have is designed for use in handgun cartridges and is probably a fast burn rate powder.  If you do what you're talking about, you WILL blow your gun up.

Several people have already cautioned against doing this and have offered good advice.  You should really learn more about the loading process before you start trying to come up with your own rules.  This is something that can hurt of kill you.

I would dump that powder out and get rid of it.  Buy powder that is designed for your application and ONLY use published load data, exactly as the load data states. Or at the very least, contact the manufacturer of that powder and ask them about it.  They will steer you in the right direction.

Thankyou very much ill contact the producer ! 
    edited January 2020 #18

Great. 

I think in general, the advice you're going to find is, please do everything you can to educate yourself on the loading process.  Anything and everything you can read and learn will be helpful. This is something that can be very dangerous if not done correctly. Only those who have very extensive experience can stray away from published load data at all, and even people like that do it with a lot of research and knowledge of how it works.  And cross referencing powders and load data is pretty much forbidden even then.

Is powder really so hard to get where you are that you feel the need to use this powder, no matter the risk?  As far as I'm concerned, the reward is not nearly enough to justify the risk you've mentioned...

Jay said:

Great. 

I think in general, the advice you're going to find is, please do everything you can to educate yourself on the loading process.  Anything and everything you can read and learn will be helpful. This is something that can be very dangerous if not done correctly. Only those who have very extensive experience can stray away from published load data at all, and even people like that do it with a lot of research and knowledge of how it works.  And cross referencing powders and load data is pretty much forbidden even then.

Is powder really so hard to get where you are that you feel the need to use this powder, no matter the risk?  As far as I'm concerned, the reward is not nearly enough to justify the risk you've mentioned...

It wasnt my idea to make ammo but i got this for free and im pretty sure they didnt mess with it so i thought why not. Only problem was i didnt know what brand it was but after googling and help from you guys i found out and found tables stating this is for .38 special, 9mm, .44 and .357 magnum. So ill contact the producer about it and ask them about the powder
    I've been given lots of powder by people who don't have a use for it and/or don't know what it is.  In every single case, I've thanked that person for their generosity and disposed of it.  The only time I would ever think about using powder given to me is if it is in a container with the seal still fully intact.  I've never received powder in such condition, so it all gets disposed of.  I take no risks when I can spend a little money and buy powder I am certain is for my application.
    Just how much do you plan on shooting a .32 ACP. For the cost of all the reloading equipment you can buy a lot of ammo and not worry about turning your pistol into a hand grenade!! If this is the only cartridge you plan a loading for it will not justify the expense.
    Despite the advice you're getting, you seem bound and determined to use an unknown powder (unless the container is sealed, you don't know WHAT it is, how old it is or how it's been stored) 
    Throw that stuff away!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,092 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #23
    Everybody here is telling you the exact same thing:
    THROW IT AWAY. Repeat: THROW IT AWAY.
    More completely: Dispose of it safely, pour it out, don't let somebody else find it and try to use it either. I don't reload myself, but I know enough to ask advice of those who do, and when they advise me to not do something because its very hazardous, I pay attention.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,150 Senior Member
    Ajames said:
    wddodge said:

Denny 
    Ive weighed it its 500 grams exactly as it says on the package im sure its the right powder. Maybe make some .38 special bullets then ? I have a .38 special revolver. I can test it in my vise putting a cord around the trigger and shoot it while standing on a safe place

No!!  Just because it weighs the same does no mean that it's the correct powder. There is no way that you can be certain of what powder you have. 

Your test of the revolver in the vice may work for a few over-pressure rounds but what happens when 3 gets fired without incident, you think it safe and put it in your hands-pull the trigger on the 4th round and a weakened cylinder lets go?  Do you really want to find out?  Let it go and get the correct powder and have fun safely.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
    A $20.00 pound of smokeless handgun powder makes a big pile of loaded cartridges.

Just sayin'.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,746 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #26
    Ajames said:
    Found this table their 514 powder can go in 7.65 and .38 special my powder the 504 is only in the .38,.357 magnum table.

.38 special every bullet needs according to the table (504) with a 148 g(grain) WC bullet head 0,26 grams (4.01 grain) of powder. The 514 which is also in the 7.65 needs 0.149 grams (2.3 grain) of powder in the .38 special which means the 514 powder is way stronger with these information cant i do a math sum so i know exactly how much i have to put in the 7.65 ? (NO!)
    [What you haven't accounted for is burn rate, pressure limits and initial case volume.]

so the 504 powder i have is compared to the 514 powder less powerful and is loaded with 0.111 grams (1.713 grains) more powder. 7.65 needs 0.097  grams (1.5 grains) of the 514 powder so if i put my powder in it it means i have to put 0.097 (1.5 grain) plus 0.111 (1.713 grain) which makes 0.208 grams (3.21 grains) of my powder is the right grams of powder that have to be put in there ? Or am i saying something really stupid (You're saying something ignorant but not stupid)

I admire your enthusiasm for wanting to reload and do it yourself but learn about reloading first. It doesn't take long and you'll be a lot safer.

The folks on here have given you good advice. Don't put yourself at risk, buy a reloading manual and read up on how to do it properly.
    Start here:
    Then pick up one of the many good reloading manual like the Hornady 10th edition.

Get yourself a reloading kit (not just a press)
    Take your time, do it right and have fun learning. 👨‍🎓
    This site will also be useful:

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Alright ill listen ill wait for the right gunpowder. Ive been watching some videos on youtube about the press i want i totally understand that now only thing to watch out for when I have it is check if the grams of gunpowder the press puts in my cases is the right amount with a scale. Ill check the first 10 cases if it goes alright i can keep pressing. :) thank you all for your help.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,642 Senior Member
    Think in terms of grains, not grams.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,746 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #29
    Don't worry, it doesn't take long to learn the right way. If you like YouTube, there's plenty of good videos and even more bad ones out there. Here's a good place to start.

Then get a reloading manual.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Don't worry, it doesn't take long to learn the right way. If you like YouTube, there's plenty of good videos and even more bad ones out there. Here's a good place to start.

Then get a reloading manual.

This^^

YouTube can be a fantastic resource to learn equipment setup and approach.  Poor sources are quickly called out in the comments.  BUT, reading the front sections of virtually any reloading manual is incredibly valuable.

When I learned reloading, I did it backwards in the I had someone show me first.  I didn't realize just how much I missed by not reading the first few chapters of a load manual first.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 447 Member
    Ajames, you live in Belgium ?? judging by your tables and screenshots