Home Main Category General Firearms

My 450 BM thread

2»

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Thanks. 

And thanks for the heads up on the mags. The one I got was the cheap AR Stoner I ordered along with my upper. Obviously, it needs a little work. If only Magpul would make a magazine for this application... But good to know there’s another, better option out there. 👍
    I just wish someone made inexpensive training rounds for the cartridge.  Even for hunting, a fmj or cast lead round would be devastating.  
    I got a link from a buddy the other day for Federal 300 grain JHPs for .80/round. Don’t know much about them, but that’s as cheap as I’ve seen. I’m loading my own. Which isn’t really cheap, but it’ll be cheaper in the long run, once I get the gun and a load dialed in. I don’t plan on this being a high volume gun for my needs. With brass and everything in hand, I should be able to load 50 rounds for $30 or less, depending on components. 
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Shame the 450BM is crammed into the AR15.  The AR10 is better suited and 308 magazines feed 450BM quite nicely.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD said:
    Shame the 450BM is crammed into the AR15.  The AR10 is better suited and 308 magazines feed 450BM quite nicely.
    45 Raptor is in the 308 platform. 
    No turning back now..

The #45 reamer I ordered came in earlier than expected. Got here yesterday afternoon. I just put it to use opening up the gas port on the 450 BM from .0700” to .0820”. 

So as it stands right now, the only function modifications so far is the slight tweaking of the magazine feed lips and the gas port reamed a little bigger. I’m hoping to have time to take it out tomorrow to see how it does. 
    We have some success! 

And I say SOME success because it’s not 100% definitive yet. But definitely going in the right direction. 

I took the 450 out today to test after the gas port and magazine modifications. After getting cheap scope #2 close enough, I fired a 3 round group at 50 yards. 

Pay no mind to the tiny holes. Those were 17 HMR at 100 yards prior to me bringing the target back to 50. I did not measure the group. The orange paster is a 1” circle, so we’re looking at under 1” at 50 yards. Good start. Once I’ve changed the stock and handguard and have a brake on it, I’ll work harder on the loads, velocity and groups. This was mainly a function check. After getting the scope close and firing for a group, I just plinked around for a few more rounds. I fired 15 rounds total. It ran 100%. No malfunctions of any kind. Piled my brass up at 3-4 o’clock, 6-7 feet away from the bench. 

Not a lot of rounds down range and only 1 load tested, so nothing conclusive. But it’s going much better than it was...

Also, the stock has to go... the way it sets up with the scope, it yanks my mustache hair with every shot.. 😢
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    I would call that a whole lot of success!  With the modifications you have planned, I bet you will be very happy when finished.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    As for my plinking after the group, I dialed the scope a little up and right, and fire a round at a T-post at 100 yards. Hit!  And bent the post...

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,204 Senior Member
    Good to see you have a steady hand, that was a good SWAG to get that running.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Sometimes a guy gets lucky.. 🤪
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Looks very promising, Jay! Great work to get that gas port bug worked out and nice work at the range getting it on steel accurately. With the mechanical piece solved, I have a feeling you’re going to get some really nice groups happening at 100 yards in short order.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    JasonMPD said:
    I think this was a case of Hornady wanting to keep the round in the much more universally available AR-15 parts/pieces market. The AR-10 has just has too many proprietary offshoots and less casual shooter appeal. That would’ve discouraged the average tinkerer who wants to do a cheap lower build and slap on a commercial upper, or buy a relatively cheap complete rifle, hurting the round’s commercial success.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun said:
    Looks very promising, Jay! Great work to get that gas port bug worked out and nice work at the range getting it on steel accurately. With the mechanical piece solved, I have a feeling you’re going to get some really nice groups happening at 100 yards in short order.

Thanks.  I'm happy to be heading in the right direction.  I'm hoping to be able to start ordering more parts for it soon, now that I at least have an idea that I wouldn't be throwing money away on a gun that doesn't want to work.  I'm also hoping I can get the 240 grain XTPs to function in this thing.  They are much cheaper than the 250 FTX I'm currently working with.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    JasonMPD said:
    I think this was a case of Hornady wanting to keep the round in the much more universally available AR-15 parts/pieces market. The AR-10 has just has too many proprietary offshoots and less casual shooter appeal. That would’ve discouraged the average tinkerer who wants to do a cheap lower build and slap on a commercial upper, or buy a relatively cheap complete rifle, hurting the round’s commercial success.
    Possibly.  Cheap AR rifles is why threads like this occur.  450BM has real hand loading potential for some serious big game ballistics.  For me, it appears better served in a bolt action rifle...or maybe even a short, handy double rifle.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    The next step in the process on my 450 started this morning. 

The plan has been to put an A2 style fixed stock on it, swap to a low profile free floating handguard and install a muzzle brake. This is not an urgent project, so I’m electing to not put all the parts on my credit card or cash flow it all at once. So I’ll order stuff a little at a time. 

Thinking about the order in which I wanted to go, the stock comes first and is what is on order. I also ordered a Wolf extra power buffer spring. This helps with shooter comfort on the gun and hopefully will be the last mechanical change necessary for the gun to function perfectly. The stock comes with a standard buffer spring, so I’ll have that option if the Wolf spring doesn’t work out. 

The muzzle brake and handguard will be purchased separately but installed together. There’s no sense removing and installing muzzle devices twice, possibly wasting crush washers and time when I can just wait until I have both and do it all at once. Besides, the handguard is out of stock right now anyway. 

Planned parts to come,

muzzle brake
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020533778?pid=944697

Handguard
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020691560
    SQUIRREL!!

Stupid short attention span and Midway clearance sales... 😣

To be continued...
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    SQUIRREL!!

Stupid short attention span and Midway clearance sales... 😣

To be continued...
    This I understand well
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Hint... Building on the Bushmaster/South American pit viper theme... 

That’s all till parts arrive and are installed.. 😉
    edited January 2020 #49
    Well crap. That didn’t work out as planned. 

I ordered a Daniel Defense SLIM handguard for the 450. Typhon pattern. But I failed to take into account that the low profile gas block on the 450 is, of course, larger than a regulars AR15 low profile gas block. So, it won’t fit over the gas block. 

So, the DD handguard went on my working gun, along with a DD grip. I did put an A2 stock and muzzle brake on the 450 and it stole the 1-6 Vortex scope off the LR308. Going out tomorrow with some different loads to try. I have it smoothly feeding the 240 XTP rounds now. I’ll find out how it does tomorrow. I’m guessing it’ll at least be much more comfortable to shoot.

Note to anyone else who might try a handguard swap on their 450, the handguard must have at least 1.5” inside diameter to clear the gas block..