Home Main Category General Firearms

New AR Pistol Build

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,970 Senior Member
When they first started hitting the scene, AR pistols were kind of a yawn to me. Niche product that, in reality, was more a gimmick than anything else. 

Then stabilizing braces hit the scene. My attention was peaked, but with the legal status of shouldering said braces bouncing back and forth, I abstained. However, with the ATF seeming to have decided to focus efforts elsewhere, I decided to begin scrounging parts. 

I felt similarly about the 300 AAC Blackout / Whisper. For the longest time a slow .30 cal with a 100-150yds effective range was a big yawn. However, after taking the suppressor plunge anyway, the idea of a hearing safe deer and hog gun became more and more appealing. Thus, I decided my future pistol build would be a 300 BO. 

Thus, here sits the final product! 

- 10.5" BCM Upper in .300 BO w/ SiCo muzzle brake
- BCM BCG
- Raptor ambi charging handle
- Aimpoint Comp M4
- Sons of Liberty Gunworks lower
- Geissele lower parts kit
- RRA NM trigger
- KAK Shockwave brace

Many parts, the upper and optic especially, were scrounged from a popular AR oriented forum's classified section. The trigger was scrounged from my parts bin, and the LPK and lower were bought at sales. I don't have "PSA sale" money into this, but I definitely have far less invested in the gun than the sum of its parts.

Range report is forthcoming, but probably not for a week or so due to my travel schedule. 
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,203 Senior Member
    Is that a legal length on that brace?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Nice looking build!  
    I'll be interested in your thoughts on the BO.  I'm yet to take the plunge.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    Not a BO fan. But, congrats on the build!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    The size and form factor you went with is MUCH more appealing to me than the gimicky hand-held-only pistols of yesteryear.  I don't have any inclination to get a .300 BO, but that size setup with a traditional .223 Rem would be nice.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Is that a legal length on that brace?
    Yep, although "legal length" is a little ubiquitous, and there's not ATF letter clarifying anything. Regardless, the longest length on the KAK Shockwave is 13.1" (the arbitrary "max length" is generally accepted as 13.5"), and that one is 2 dimples inward anyway.

jbohio said:
    Nice looking build!  
    I'll be interested in your thoughts on the BO.  I'm yet to take the plunge.
    Very niche cartridge, and basically an underpowered 7.62x39mm. The main appeal for me was shooting suppressed with subsonic rounds, and I got a screaming deal on the upper.

Zee said:
    Not a BO fan. But, congrats on the build!
    Six-Gun said:
    The size and form factor you went with is MUCH more appealing to me than the gimicky hand-held-only pistols of yesteryear.  I don't have any inclination to get a .300 BO, but that size setup with a traditional .223 Rem would be nice.
    Thanks! I'm a BO skeptical as well, but was curious enough to take the plunge. If the BO ends up being more "meh" than I expected, a similar .223 upper will probably end up on the gun.

knitepoet said:
    Looks good Matt.
    I, also, wasn't originally a fan of the BO but after "falling" into a 16" barrel on accident, I've become a fan.
    I'm currently working, trying to get my 7.5" 300BO upper up and running
    Have you played with many subsonic rounds yet?
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski