Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Meanwhile, in Virginia...

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,936 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Does anyone see any irony in the fact that the only firearms on the Capital grounds proper were in the hands of the snipers on the roof?  State of Emergency my ass..

There is little doubt in my mind that the Governor was hoping something would go awry just to prove his point...
    Agreed
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Does anyone see any irony in the fact that the only firearms on the Capital grounds proper were in the hands of the snipers on the roof?  State of Emergency my ass..

There is little doubt in my mind that the Governor was hoping something would go awry just to prove his point...
    BINGO!!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,160 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Mass civil disobedience per the sanctuary counties/cities?
    If they pass this crap, that needs to be their next step. That, and primary out any and all Democrats that support this junk plus let Republicans know this stuff is unacceptable.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,936 Senior Member
    I'm just glad of what DIDN'T happen...
    When I got home from work this morning, I turned on the news and expected to be hearing about events in Va today. Wife asked what was going on, and I told her about the rally and that, potentially, the next revolutionary war could start today.  I can not think of a time in my life where I have been happier to have been wrong.

FYI, the local fox affiliate reported on it on their late news and they claim attendance was approximately 22,000
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,608 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #126
    I suspect the left's spin will either be to ignore this, or go off in the direction of "strong arm intimidation tactics" and get Northam on the podium all teary-eyed saying that he spent the whole event under his desk in a puddle of urine.

Fox interviewed at least two of the county sheriffs supporting/attending the rally.  Let's see just how much of the truth gets out there on the MSM.  During the leadup, it appeared to be all about how it was a white supremacist/neo-Nazi/hate group convention with violence all but assured.  I'm hoping they really stepped in it this time - getting people to tune in for a "nothing" event. . .which hopefully will be perceived as a significant "something" after all.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,567 Senior Member
    There was a big turn out. Depending whose talking, 20 - 40K.
    Sadly I dont think the Governor cares. He will go forward anyways.
    The MSN and liberal media has been down playing what he wants. Only listing background checks and red flag laws. They DO NOT explain any of it
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    There are lies, damn lies, statistics and polls.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,443 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #129
    Reprised from the political meme thread:

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 888 Senior Member
    There there is a clear income disparity in Trumps America.  We need to pass a minimum required caliber distribution act.  This will bring equality to all.

just sayin

Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.

Yep.  Those poseurs are almost as bad as a police swat team.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Gun People Who Hate Gun People.  Wow what a great group!  Must be a whole lot of assholes signed up for it...  More divisiveness amongst the ranks courtesy of the arrogant. I can guarantee you every idiot that thinks $10,000 trap guns are good but assault weapons are BAD is also in there.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,270 Senior Member
    Accipiter said:

Yep.  Those poseurs are almost as bad as a police swat team.
    Might have been a SWAT team mingling with the crowd. Or, protesting along with the other 2nd Amendment supporters.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    GunNut said:

Gun People Who Hate Gun People.  Wow what a great group!  Must be a whole lot of assholes signed up for it...  More divisiveness amongst the ranks courtesy of the arrogant. I can guarantee you every idiot that thinks $10,000 trap guns are good but assault weapons are BAD is also in there.

Is anyone surprised Alpha belongs to (or founded) such a group? 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

CHIRO1989 said:
    Might have been a SWAT team mingling with the crowd. Or, protesting along with the other 2nd Amendment supporters.
    That is certainly a possibility, and if so, it makes my not so veiled point.

Regardless if they are swat, and are siding with the good guys, glad to have them.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

I'm glad for EVERYONE that supports the 2A regardless of who they are.  It's not up to me to limit other folks in their expression.  And what is wrong with exaggerating a point to prove our position?  It's a very valid way to get said point across.  I don't think those guys dress that way every day as they go about their daily lives but have the stuff in case SHTF.  And again they COULD be in work gear.  But nope, someone has to make assumptions based on income.  Hey there are some guys that wear 5.11 pants because they need the pockets...

Accipiter said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    That is certainly a possibility, and if so, it makes my not so veiled point.

Regardless if they are swat, and are siding with the good guys, glad to have them.

Or maybe these guys, SWAT or not, were concerned about getting shot by the current VA administration. All of us were concerned about violence...maybe they decided to be a harder target if the SHTF. 

Adam J. McCleod

edited January 2020 #139
    CaliFFL said:

Or maybe these guys, SWAT or not, were concerned about getting shot by the current VA administration. All of us were concerned about violence...maybe they decided to be a harder target if the SHTF. 
    These days?  That's not entirely out of the equation...

• BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 377 Member
    How many people on here have some of the same type gear for when SHTF or for games or whatever.  Guess alpha is laughing at you as well.
    To be clear I fully support cosplay of all types. Sailor Moon, Iron Man or Operator. I love playing dress up!
    It's not playing dress-up if you actually know how to use the stuff.

• PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,550 Senior Member
    I'm probably qualified to be a test dummy for the body armor.  😂
    That's all I got.

Paul
    Well I went and visited that group of yours so I could make an assessment based on first hand facts.  Yep, as expected, a massive collection of douchebags...  My favorite ones were celebrating dead cops on comments on a graphic showing the number of offices killed last year.

I invite anyone here to look first hand so you see where this “humor” comes from and gain a bit of insight on how our buddy here thinks.

edited January 2020 #144
    GunNut said:
    To be clear I fully support cosplay of all types. Sailor Moon, Iron Man or Operator. I love playing dress up!
    I can hit a 3 pointer, putting a warriors jersey doesn't make me Steph Curry. Let's face it a lot of what we do as gun enthusiasts is play dress up and play games. CAS is basically big boy cowboys and indians. 3 gun is action hero fun time. Etc. It's fun, and yes it builds some skills, but none of it makes any of us professionals. It doesn't even make us worriors or patriots. It just makes us people who like guns and know how to shoot them at inanimate objects.
    So I guess folks that play softball on Sundays should not buy nice equipment or use the best gear they can get?  Sticks instead of bats?

Maybe you “dress up” to play with guns.  I buy equipment that I could potentially use to save my life and the lives of my family someday and learn how to use it so I’m effective with it to the best of my abilities.  This has nothing to do with competition, though when I shoot an IDPA match I use it as practice, not sport.

In any case, spending their time and own money to go to Virginia to demonstrate is what makes them patriots.  What they were wearing is immaterial to that subject.  

You’re predictions of doom, as usual, came to absolute nothing, so you have to pull a BS meaningless meme to **** on them under the guise of humor.

Where you there?  No?!?!?  I’m shocked.  Just like all your babble about the environment.  It’s all soapbox BS with no real personal action to back it up.  You leave it to someone else to actually do the work you’ll benefit from.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,567 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Well I went and visited that group of yours so I could make an assessment based on first hand facts.  Yep, as expected, a massive collection of douchebags...  My favorite ones were celebrating dead cops on comments on a graphic showing the number of offices killed last year.

I invite anyone here to look first hand so you see where this “humor” comes from and gain a bit of insight on how our buddy here thinks.
    I am not on facebook, but from what could be seen I found it a bit disturbing that one of our members would also be a member there
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I actually don't know anything about the group and don't even follow them, just saw the meme from a veteran I know and found it accurate, and a little funny.

Lots of terrible people on fb. I'm sure I can find some awful comments from people on groups you follow on fb too. 
    I had been trying to figure out where you said you were a member of that group.  I was just about to comment on such.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

GunNut said:

I actually don't know anything about the group and don't even follow them, just saw the meme from a veteran I know (after serving 2 terms in Afghanistan he has little patience for mall ninjas and tactitools) and found it accurate, and a little funny.

Glad you’re not a member.  

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,592 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

I actually don't know anything about the group and don't even follow them, just saw the meme from a veteran I know (after serving 2 terms in Afghanistan he has little patience for mall ninjas and tactitools) and found it accurate, and a little funny.

GunNut said:
    I can hit a 3 pointer, putting a warriors jersey doesn't make me Steph Curry. Let's face it a lot of what we do as gun enthusiasts is play dress up and play games. CAS is basically big boy cowboys and indians. 3 gun is action hero fun time. Etc. It's fun, and yes it builds some skills, but none of it makes any of us professionals. It doesn't even make us worriors or patriots. It just makes us people who like guns and know how to shoot them at inanimate objects.

Just a question.
    If I wear my issue field jacket, am I cosplaying? Or a issue blouse? Cover?

I do believe that a lot of these guys were mall ninjas, and I think it is dopey, and I also have little use for tacticools. I particularly think the 300lbe'rs with a vest that would cover a 180lb'er is pretty humorous and the "being prepared for shtf" with body armor and tacticool junk is a bit on the dress up side, and the meme was amusing, until you started to add on about Sailor Moon. You have exactly zero idea if any of these guys are vets or if they have fired a shot in anger. None.
    and FYI. You serve tours, not terms. Cosplay who? If that was your faux pas, then fine, if you heard that from "the guy" ....

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,626 Senior Member
    Back to the point of whether gun owners have a minority or majority of the population... I honestly would not be surprised to find that the number of gun owners - not gun people, or 2A supporters, just owners - is significantly less than 30%.  The figure I've seen is 80 million owners... but, even if you factor a 25% higher figure and assume it's actually 100 million, you're still less than one third of the country's population.  You'd literally have to double our numbers - AND magically cause all those owners to care about gun rights - before we could even begin to think about majority status.  That ship has sailed, folks.  Alf is exactly correct to point out that WE are the minority.  Those of us who hold our rights dear are an even smaller minority.  On this, he and I agree; we cannot afford to exclude anybody who is willing to side with us.  
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,544 Senior Member
    Back to the point of whether gun owners have a minority or majority of the population... I honestly would not be surprised to find that the number of gun owners - not gun people, or 2A supporters, just owners - is significantly less than 30%.  The figure I've seen is 80 million owners... but, even if you factor a 25% higher figure and assume it's actually 100 million, you're still less than one third of the country's population.  You'd literally have to double our numbers - AND magically cause all those owners to care about gun rights - before we could even begin to think about majority status.  That ship has sailed, folks.  Alf is exactly correct to point out that WE are the minority.  Those of us who hold our rights dear are an even smaller minority.  On this, he and I agree; we cannot afford to exclude anybody who is willing to side with us.  
    Absolutely.
    And another reason for careful narrative/language control. Phrases like tyrannical majority, constitutional revisionists, illegal infringement, etc..

A careful review of the breifs and agruments on file at the SCOTUS could not only turn up more, but likely shed the light of truthful justice on the illicit interpretation of words and phrases chosen by the proponents of infringement.
    Only about 200 million Americans are over 21 and of those about 30 million are felons and can not legally own guns.  

That leaves about 180 million elegible Americans.  That’s over 50% gun owners which is closer to my personal experience.

Of course only a small percentage of those will raise a finger to protect that freedom.  But we should not forget that ALL the ones that would are armed...