Home Main Category Clubhouse

Update on my winter early 20th century bread cutter project

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,054 Senior Member
Got back from our two week dive trip in Belize.  The early 20th century bread cutter was waiting in a box.  My wife said what's in there?  My reply, you'll see on your birthday in March.  

The wood box is going to be replaced.  I just don't like the wood.  Instead I purchased a blank of Kingwood Rosewood.  I like the dark grain with yellow contrast.  I'll use the side with larger strip of dark wood with smaller yellow area (where the numbers are) for the floor of the box.  Then I'll use the other side with the  dark grain and yellow contrast for the sides.  I'll work to make sure the sides have good dark and yellow grain contrasts.  The handle I'm going to have to glue two pieces together before having them turned.  I'll try to get some good dark and yellow contrast pieces.

The metal was originally painted gloss black but 85% of the black is gone.  The blade is still fairly sharp and the arm moves fairly smoothly.  Going to have it bead blasted clean and possibly paint it antique white to match the white granite counter tops we have or I'm also kicking the idea around of painting it gloss black like the original.   Need some input on the color please!

Lastly I'll polish the blade and have it sharpened.  

Here's the wood blank.

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    I think you need to save a chunk of that wood for some grips.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    That sure is a strong contrast on the wood. It should really look nice when your finished. Black will look nice with that wood
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5