Home Main Category Clubhouse

Who watched the Super Bowl half-time show?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 8,227 Senior Member
and what did you think of it?

It made me a tad uncomfortable, and it was just me and the wife in the house.  I am also hearing that there's a lot of complaints that it was just too over the top with skimpy costumes and lewd dancing.

Just wondering if it's just me, or anyone else thinks that the NFL needs to clean up their half times.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,750 Senior Member
    We watched it and thought it was fantastic! Only in America would people complain about it.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,009 Senior Member
    I have never watched any major sport event, A friend told me to watch some young woman named " Demi " sing the national anthem , I did and she was damn good no extra crap or rap thrown in and she was dressed appropriately, kinda reminded me when Kate Smith sang the anthem.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    We watched it and thought it was fantastic! Only in America would people complain about it.
    Of course you would like it. :smile:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I’m a Latino and neither Jlo or Shakira are very good artists in my book.  There is MUCH better out there, and more popular in the Latino community, currently and past.  Crazy enough I think Jlo is a much better movie actress than singer/dancer.  

Anyway, I enjoy Latin music quite a bit but I found it fascinating that I didn’t know ONE song they sang last night even though it was supposed to be a medley of their “hits”.  The dancing was good and skimpy costumes are the new normal.  Even if not my speed they were hugely better that the has-been hag Madonna a few years back.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I thought the show was pretty good...great if compared to the trash from the last few years.

A little risque, sure, but those women are 51 and 43. The 20 year old back up dancers have nothing on Shakira...moves or looks. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

zorba said:
    Of course you would like it. :smile:
    Yea - from a Belly Dancer perspective there were times of "questionable taste" as we don't do certain movements. Although Shakira uses lots of Belly Dance moves in her dancing, she's never claimed that she a Belly Dancer - so viewed from that standpoint, I had zero problems with it. The choreography was fantastic and "tight", the costumes were wonderful (again, not Belly Dance), my wife and I enjoyed it thoroughly - although my wife had never heard of Shakira before.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,735 Senior Member
    What's the Superbowl?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,455 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Wasn't the Super Bowl held in America?  I didn't see it but have heard more complaints than praise...all from Americans.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L said:
    zorba said:
    Wasn't the Super Bowl held in America?  I didn't see it but have heard more complaints than praise...all from Americans.
    Exactly!

)O(
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    See Zorba's comment #2, sentence #2. 

The super bowl is televised globally. ESPN televised the game in 109 countries including most of South America. 

Does anyone think those products advertised are only sold in America? 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

edited February 2020 #12
    American Football is HUGE business all over the world.
    This is the first time we've watched a superbowl in many years - my wife found it for free online!

)O(
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,580 Senior Member
    Didn't even know it was on.

I did watch about 10 minutes of the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet. Does that count? 😂

I'll watch the "controversial" highlights later. I'm sure they'll be rebroadcast later a billion times!
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,849 Senior Member
    edited February 2020 #15
    We watched it, thought it was a little risque for prime time.  Shakira's mix of Muslim with the Latin was a bit much I thought. Living in the Miami area Spanish is the norm, not sure what people in Kansas thought of a half time show being mostly in spanish.  And who was the weird dude with glasses?  He was not an asset at all
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,562 Senior Member
    I wasn't a fan of the costumes and gyrations 
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    I enjoyed it very much. Nothing wrong with those outfits.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,576 Senior Member
    I wasn't offended. OTOH, I didn't notice anything other than Shakira.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,894 Senior Member
    So let me get this straight:

They not only waste a perfectly good smallbore rifle range by playing football on it, they have pop concerts on it too???

The world truly is going to ****
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,434 Senior Member
    Pretty good with the sound turned off! Maybe the first time they've had a stripper pole center stage. 
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,326 Senior Member
    I liked Shikira, she is Lebonise and Columbiam so both types of music are her heritage!! Jlo I’m no a fan of. Wife thought the show would have been ok for Vegas but not family viewing!! 
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,454 Senior Member

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,454 Senior Member

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,876 Senior Member
    Nothing like a little T & A to get some attention. They want to keep you glued to the tube, after all!!
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,906 Senior Member

- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    But, but, but... The naked cheerleaders are essential to the game... Essential I tell ya!

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Didn't watch it. Would like to go to a football game someday, no matter if it's a highschool or Superbowl game since can't care less about half-time shows and the plastic parahpernalia designed to basically sell drugs, sugar and cars. The stadium experience is what really matters, not the glitter around it.

Not a football follower (Nor any other mass sport); down here the Superbowl is an event followed by some of the top 10% and/or those who bet on the game. Most watch it at home or in a rather few sports bars. If memory doesn't fails me, I recall watching once one of these games for a while and American ads were replaced with local ads by our cable providers. Seems like bets (Legal or not) are the real big business down here.

For most of us the middle time show is worthless; we're fed up with Latinas in skimpy clothing prancing around while playing ultra-pop music probably composed by a selling ads algorithm or a bunch of marketing guys supported by commercial jingles musicians. 
    Summertime down here by the way, so by Sunday I've already had my dose of hot women in little clothing for the whole week  ;) . Also by Sunday night I'm SO tired from the weekend surfing, partying, chasing the twins around the beach (Otters on crack would be the perfect description) and the long drive back home that all I can see is the inside of my closed eyes!

Call me a racist (Impossible according to democrats' standards although CNN might qualify me as a Latin-Spaniard if needed :D ) but I find those girls in the cheerleaders' pictures posted above A LOT hotter!

Antonio said:
    Didn't watch it. Would like to go to a football game someday, no matter if it's a highschool or Superbowl game since can't care less about half-time shows and the plastic parahpernalia designed to basically sell drugs, sugar and cars. The stadium experience is what really matters, not the glitter around it.

Not a football follower (Nor any other mass sport); down here the Superbowl is an event followed by some of the top 10% and/or those who bet on the game. Most watch it at home or in a rather few sports bars. If memory doesn't fails me, I recall watching once one of these games for a while and American ads were replaced with local ads by our cable providers. Seems like bets (Legal or not) are the real big business down here.

For most of us the middle time show is worthless; we're fed up with Latinas in skimpy clothing prancing around while playing ultra-pop music probably composed by a selling ads algorithm or a bunch of marketing guys supported by commercial jingles musicians. 
    Summertime down here by the way, so by Sunday I've already had my dose of hot women in little clothing for the whole week  ;) . Also by Sunday night I'm SO tired from the weekend surfing, partying, chasing the twins around the beach (Otters on crack would be the perfect description) and the long drive back home that all I can see is the inside of my closed eyes!

Call me a racist (Impossible according to democrats' standards although CNN might qualify me as a Latin-Spaniard if needed :D ) but I find those girls in the cheerleaders' pictures posted above A LOT hotter!

That's so funny!!!  A lot of Latino men feel that way, maybe because we grew up surrounded by truly beautiful Latinas.  Both of my sisters are gorgeous (they were absolute HELL in their teens) and at 59 and 60 they still have rocking bikini bodies and they are not afraid to flaunt them.  I tire of telling folks that Jlo is an America invention.  In PR she would have been the 4:00am last pick at a bar after a lot of beers and rum.

GunNut said:
    Antonio

[Your not racist, just bored with same ole, same ole.] 😁

In PR she would have been the 4:00am last pick at a bar after a lot of beers and rum.

She was better as a "Flygirl".
    But that was the 90's 🤣

• Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    I thought the show was pretty good...great if compared to the trash from the last few years.

A little risque, sure, but those women are 51 and 43. The 20 year old back up dancers have nothing on Shakira...moves or looks. 

Wife tells me that J-Lo is in her early 50s and has given birth to five (5) children.  Now that's what I call a spectacular set of genes!  Lawdy lawdy lawdy!  Granted she's been drydocked and overhauled a time or two, but so what?  Wow!
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    I thought it would have been right at home on the Burlesque stage...
    I'm not a fan of that type of music or dance but they design the show for the younger crowd and not me anyhow. 
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs