Do you hunt with hearing protection?

2»

Replies

• gearforearsgearforears New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    Hearing loss is a relative condition. There are several different variables in the process of hearing. Hearing loss refers to a condition where certain volumes and frequencies of sound may not be audible to an individual. Generally speaking, a person with hearing loss needs things to be louder in order to hear them.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,140 Senior Member
    I voted for "other", as in "sometimes."
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Hearing loss is a relative condition. There are several different variables in the process of hearing. Hearing loss refers to a condition where certain volumes and frequencies of sound may not be audible to an individual. Generally speaking, a person with hearing loss needs things to be louder in order to hear them.

Are you certain about that?:win:

edited to add: I truly suspected his first post to be spam, what with the username and all!
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    Since I am not 6' tall and bullet proof any more, and dealing with major hearing loss (majority caused by disease, but noise exposure didn't help), I would admonish everyone, at the very least to wear the highest NRR rated ear plugs you can find.

Hearing aids are a P-poor substitute for your natural hearing. Even a 22 short causes hearing loss.

I know the horse is long gone, but I protect what hearing I have left. My family and my profession deserves it.

I wear double protection at the range. (29 db muffs and 31 db foam plugs) I have recently purchased the highest db rated electronic muffs that I felt I could afford, with good user reviews. These were purchased because I had trouble hearing and understanding range commands during matches. I plan to try them when hunting also. Since Texas will now allow the use of a suppressor when hunting game animals I will definitely be getting one.

It is more important to hear when you are in your later years than to not take the time (seconds) to insert ear plugs or slip on muffs.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo: