Home Main Category Clubhouse

SPAM calls

BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 322 Member
I don't usually answer unrecognized #s but lately. I figure it may be a job I applied for so I answer some.  Every one that is spam asks "can you hear me ok".  I suspect this is that scam that tries to get you to say yes and doctors the tape to make it sound like you agreed to something.  Once I said I can here you and there was silence for like 10 seconds.  I just tell them not interested and hang up.  I know its some of the more sleazy job sites selling my information.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Yeah, never give a 'Yes' or 'No' answer to those twits. Now if you're an insane freak like me you can turn the tables on them and make THEM hang up. Use your imagination. It can be FUN! :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,320 Senior Member
    edited February 2020 #3
    tennmike said:
    Yeah, never give a 'Yes' or 'No' answer to those twits. Now if you're an insane freak like me you can turn the tables on them and make THEM hang up. Use your imagination. It can be FUN! :D
    Don't know how good you are at it, Mike, but my sister is a pro at that game. A few weeks ago she kept a spammer on the phone for 37 minutes (she's retired and has few amusements during a Colorado winter). She should have won an Oscar. Keeping the idiot on hold for 5 minutes while she went upstairs "to find her Social Security card" wasn't even the near high point of the game. LOL.

Mike

ETA. 
    He hung up on her. That's a win.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Most of "those twits" are robots now. They have more time than you and me combined.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,331 Senior Member
    I had one today as I got home from work. Turned out to be the lower your credit card interest calls.  I played along for a bit, was distressed they cant help with American Express only Visa and mc.  Said I had those too. He asked what the balance is and I said almost 40K.  The creep told me to put my credit card up my ass.  Told him sure I would, just before I stuck it in his mouth.  Hodji cussed as he hung up
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Don't know how good you are at it, Mike, but my sister is a pro at that game. A few weeks ago she kept a spammer on the phone for 37 minutes (she's retired and has few amusements during a Colorado winter). She should have won an Oscar. Keeping the idiot on hold for 5 minutes while she went upstairs "to find her Social Security card" wasn't even the near high point of the game. LOL.

Mike

ETA. 
    He hung up on her. That's a win.

Too funny! 37 MINUTES! I get bored after about 5. I ask a LOT of questions about the company they represent and listen to them stumble all over themselves trying to answer. And then there's always the fun of putting on that thick and undecipherable East TN accent and making them go nuts trying to figure out what you just said. You could have fun with that, being raised in Louisiana.
    The aftermarket auto warranty folk are a hoot. I ask which vehicle they are talking about that I own, and it goes downhill fast from there. I get transferred to someone else that actually will ask for the VIN#. I have a pile of those from vehicles going back to the 60s; they go nuckin' futz trying to find those. A trip to the junkyard can be productive in getting some for yourself to use. Make them waste time and leave someone else alone while they're dealing with you!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,364 Senior Member
    As soon as you get the click and the person comes on, put on your best telemarketer voice and say “thank you for calling credit services of America, this is Peter. What credit card can I help you with today?”

they hang up immediately. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,570 Senior Member
    I prefer answering with, "Cyber crimes division, Jackson"

The calls don't last long :D 
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,846 Senior Member
    Got a call yesterday

I said "hello"

A sweet girly voice said "hi"

I said "hello"

response "hi"

I clicked off.

Probably some  kid having fun. I suppose.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,793 Senior Member
    I wouldn't have time for that crap, even if I wasn't busy. We have "caller ID." If anything comes on the readout screen that says "out of area" or a number we don't recognize, we won't answer. Many of these robocalls are from fax numbers and people selling something. We use an answering machine that is setup to answer the call at 2 rings, and all it says is "Please leave a message after the tone." We don't even want to identify ourselves to unknown callers. This makes us a lot less aggravated over the day of a dozen callers that we don't want to talk to.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    Haven't gotten any for a couple of days, but I get all the usual stuff... help with getting a better interest rate, my warranty is nearly up, a "police charity" looking for "John", because he's donated in the past and then asking if I would like to donate, since he's no longer at this number... we've had this number since it was generated in 1993... "John" never had it.  Nobody did, lol.  Since this number is also used as my direct line at work (my choice, not their requirement)  I always answer. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 322 Member
    I had a phone appointment wit social security.  I waiting for the call and at the exact time they are supposed to call, a call come in that says SPAM RISK.  Sure enough it was SS.  
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,110 Senior Member
    I'm getting to the point of not even turning my fone on unless I'm expecting a call.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 887 Senior Member
    I no longer answer unless I know who it is.  If I happen to answer they never finish their first sentence.  I simply hang up.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.