Home Main Category Clubhouse

Possibly the worst movie I’ve ever watched!

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
Ad Astra.  Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee.  Great cast!  I struggled to stay awake.  Shouldn’t have.  Damn!!!!!
Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,513 Senior Member
    What's it about?
    I've seen the trailer/promo but still have no clue what it's about.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I saw the movie.  I wish I could tell you.  Brad Pitt mumbles in a low monotone voice throughout the whole movie, something about finding his astronaut father who’s been “lost” and presumed dead.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,257 Senior Member
    No surprise there!! I'm sure it got lots of "awards"!!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Never even heard of it, so thanks for the heads up.  I won't waste my time.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    My wife was staring at the screen at the end and her comment was,”That’s it?  Well I’ll never get these two hours of my life back...”

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,258 Senior Member
    edited February 2020 #7
    Haven't seen it, but just looked and IMDB has it rated at 6.6/10 and rotten tomatoes has it at 84%.

I did see a trailer for it before its release, and it didn't spark any interest from me or the wife.

Just looked a little more and it has an audience rating of only 2.6/5. So sounds like the audience is more in line with y'all's thoughts about it
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,100 Senior Member

Never heard of that one. 

I've had conversations with buddys telling me about something on Netflix, Prime, whatever.  Something like that.  "Worst movie ever!"  "Waste of time." Me - "Well why did you keep watching it then?!" :D It's usually "I thought it might get better.."

I'm just not much of a movie guy.  If it doesn't grab me in the first 20 minutes and then somewhat keep me entertained thoughout, I'm out. Done.  Not gonna waste my time.

Then, I did watch Dolemite is My Name a while back... So stupid, it was kinda funny.  So dumb, I couldn't stop watching it.... So, I'm not immune either, I guess.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,621 Senior Member
    I just watched the trailer - what is it, a remake of Event Horizon?
    Apparently there's enough gravity in LEO to require ladders on the outside of space stations...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Some of the critics on Rotten Tomatoes thought it sucked.
    "This is slow, obtuse filmmaking with little emotional connection." -- Adam Graham, Detroit News
    Seems like maybe the director wanted to understate the emotion on-screen by having Brad Pitt quietly deliver his lines. Sounds like a "Talky" kinda movie where if you miss a few key dialogue exchanges you'll be lost for the rest of the movie.
    I get the impression if you're a movie critic paying close attention to every little detail, you might actually like it but if you're Joe movie-goer expecting it to make sense without all the subtlety then maybe not so much -- as the 40% audience reaction shows. I also get the feeling more and more movies are written and then directed with a movie critic in mind. Good movie reviews bring in revenue even if the audience doesn't like it.
    Sounds pretty boring 😴
    Pass

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    Some of the critics on Rotten Tomatoes thought it sucked.
    "This is slow, obtuse filmmaking with little emotional connection." -- Adam Graham, Detroit News
    Seems like maybe the director wanted to understate the emotion on-screen by having Brad Pitt quietly deliver his lines. Sounds like a "Talky" kinda movie where if you miss a few key dialogue exchanges you'll be lost for the rest of the movie.
    I get the impression if you're a movie critic paying close attention to every little detail, you might actually like it but if you're Joe movie-goer expecting it to make sense without all the subtlety then maybe not so much -- as the 40% audience reaction shows. I also get the feeling more and more movies are written and then directed with a movie critic in mind. Good movie reviews bring in revenue even if the audience doesn't like it.
    Sounds pretty boring 😴
    Pass

That one critic has it RIGHT on the money.  And yes this movie was written/filmed for critics, not the general public and Brad Pitt did not act at all.  It was just Brad saying lines, almost narrating a book and somehow we are supposed to have some interest in this monotone diatribe.  

It is one of those movies big many actors take on when they don't need the money anymore and fund the whole thing as a self serving monument to themselves, just so some of the artsy fartsy critics says, "Wow that was soooo different!".  

But it wasn't, it was just a poorly made film...  Even the props were cheesy, trying to denote future tech and looking like bad Star Trek junk.  That was Ok in the 70s, just stupid today.

zorba said:
    I just watched the trailer - what is it, a remake of Event Horizon?
    Apparently there's enough gravity in LEO to require ladders on the outside of space stations...
    Not even, I actually liked Event Horizon thou I'm not in dire need to watch it again.  And what you see in the trailer is not a space station, it's actually some tower that we built that reaches into space, the purpose of which totally eludes and the engineering makes totally impossible.  BTW what you saw in the trailer is about the only exciting action in the whole film.  Well that and some crazed space monkeys eating a dude's face, something they never really explain.

• joeg52joeg52 Member Posts: 108 Member
    It can't be worse than The Talented Mr. Ripley!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,865 Senior Member
    edited February 2020 #14
    I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi, and I thought event horizon was extremely boring. You want to watch the first sci-fi movie ever made in the 50's that had some hi-tech special effects AND an interesting plot? Rent "Forbidden Planet." Made in 1957. It was the best sci-fy stuff prior to Star Trek in the 60's. Check out the cast....very good.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,621 Senior Member
    Event Horizon is one of those movies that grows on you - its so bad its good. It probably would have been better if it hadn't been cut so bad. But yea, Forbidden Planet was a masterpiece - and is one of those movies that should NEVER be remade.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,475 Senior Member
    So, have you ever watched "Boltneck" or "Zombeavers" ?, Expand your worst movies I have ever seen list.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,257 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    So, have you ever watched "Boltneck" or "Zombeavers" ?, Expand your worst movies I have ever seen list.

Can't believe you admitted to watching Zombeavers! It actually was a hoot, reminded me of those Geico commercials! Now I have to put Boltneck on my list!! B)
    I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi,
    "Forbidden Planet." Made in 1957. It was the best sci-fy stuff prior to Star Trek in the 60's. Check out the cast....very good.
    I still watch Forbidden Planet at least once a year, sometimes twice a year.
    Hmm... Anne Francis 😍
    What's not to love about this movie? And it warned about the dangers of technology and the dependencies people create. Very good movie 👍

On the other end of the Sci-Fi spectrum, under worst Sci-Fi movie ever made is Barbarella: Queen of the Galaxy. Holy Crapweasels that was bad! I was definitely dumber by the end of the movie. 🤣🤣🤣

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,475 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

Can't believe you admitted to watching Zombeavers! It actually was a hoot, reminded me of those Geico commercials! Now I have to put Boltneck on my list!! B)
    Olesniper talked me into it based on his review. These are bad movies my uncle finds in the bargain bin and brings up to the hunting shack:)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 277 Member
    The Gauntlet with Clint Eastwood. :s Most any of his movies with Sondra Locke made it pretty much unwatchable for me. For sure there is worse though.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,501 Senior Member
    3 worst movies ever made.......

Manos, Hands of Fate.
    Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.
    Momento.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,830 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi,
    "Forbidden Planet." Made in 1957. It was the best sci-fy stuff prior to Star Trek in the 60's. Check out the cast....very good.
    I still watch Forbidden Planet at least once a year, sometimes twice a year.
    Hmm... Anne Francis 😍
    What's not to love about this movie? And it warned about the dangers of technology and the dependencies people create. Very good movie 👍

On the other end of the Sci-Fi spectrum, under worst Sci-Fi movie ever made is Barbarella: Queen of the Galaxy. Holy Crapweasels that was bad! I was definitely dumber by the end of the movie. 🤣🤣🤣

Hanoi Jane urinal target - YouTube
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 889 Senior Member
    3 worst movies ever made.......

Manos, Hands of Fate.
    Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.
    Momento.

Mike
    I liked Momento.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,647 Senior Member
    edited February 2020 #24
    I have another contender..."All Is Lost" with Robert Redford...about a guy and his sinking sail boat in the Indian Ocean...no dialog for over an hour and then he screams the "F" word...then no more dialog for the rest of the movie....then he sets his life raft on fire to signal for help....a real yawner....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    I have another contender..."All Is Lost" with Robert Redford...about a guy and his sinking sail boat in the Indian Ocean...no dialog for over an hour and then he screams the "F" word...then no more dialog for the rest of the movie....then he sets his life raft on fire to signal for help....a real yawned...
    My wife made me watch that!!!  My brain blocked the memory... 🤬

GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    I have another contender..."All Is Lost" with Robert Redford...about a guy and his sinking sail boat in the Indian Ocean...no dialog for over an hour and then he screams the "F" word...then no more dialog for the rest of the movie....then he sets his life raft on fire to signal for help....a real yawned...
    My wife made me watch that!!!  My brain blocked the memory... 🤬
    I caught up on some much needed sleep watching that movie. 😴