Home Main Category Clubhouse

It took an auto mechanic to diagnose and fix my 4-wheeler

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,143 Senior Member
edited February 2020 in Clubhouse #1
I have a 2010 Polaris 550 sport 4-wheeler.  For the last two years it's been a pain to start.  Really slow hesitation stalls stalls some more and then will start.  I've taken it to three Polaris dealerships and one ATV repair shop and no body could figure it out.  They thought it was the starter, this, that and other things but it always came home hard to start.

We have a young auto mechanic at church finishing up his chemo treatment.  He lost his job and benefits while out having surgery and having chemo.  The auto repair shop he worked for closed their doors.  I asked him if he wanted to take a stab at it to make some money I'd bring it by.  He said sure he'd worked on them before

He calls me three days later and said it's a timing issue.  He readjusted the valves and now the baby purs like a kitten.  Still wondering why nobody else couldn't have figured it out.  Just glad it's finally fixed.  He'll get my engine work from here out!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,817 Senior Member
    Hard to find a good diagnostician in today's world! Most are just parts guessers.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    Maybe ya should hang on to him, sounds like he knows how to trouble shoot a problem as opposed to the remove and replace mechs until they get it right.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,205 Senior Member
    A lot of young mechanics these days are overly dependent on those automotive computer analyzers. If it gives an erroneous result, many of these guys are just lost.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain