Home Main Category General Firearms

Pistol jams

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,856 Senior Member
What would be your thoughts on a jam like this? It is a Star 30 M.
im thinking extractor or magazine? I’ve used several types of ammo.As soon as I hit the mag release it closes up.
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,795 Senior Member
    Is that a spent shell that did not eject?  If so probably a weak extractor spring.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Id measure the ammo for SAAMI cartridge drawing  spec comparison.

Inspect the magazine closely for defects. Can you hand feed unfired rounds through the gun? Use muzzle control caution.

Check a pistol schematic to see if a small coil spring contols extractor tension. That's an easy repacement.

Check the jamed case for defects that might be caused by chamber irregularities.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    If that is a live round in the chamber then you have issues. I had a Ruger 1911 that when the slide would come back over the top round in the magazine it would “pop” it out of the mag into the chamber. Then the slide would pick up another round out of the mag and try feeding that round too. Ultimately Ruger replaced the gun. A gunsmith friend said the frame geometry was wrong and slightly out of spec.... all this to say if it’s a live round you got issues. If it’s a spent case, get new springs all the way around, extractor, recoil and finding pin. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Is that a spent shell that did not eject?  If so probably a weak extractor spring.
    What he said.  

bellcat said:
    As soon as I hit the mag release it closes up.
    Wait-if it were an empty chamber, then it would probably be your thumb hitting the slide release and locking it back in recoil.  

But is that a loaded round half in the chamber?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    Not a loaded round.  It is spent.   Thanks for the input, a little more to work on I guess.  Sometimes it'll shoot 10-15 in a row with out jamming.  The jams always occur in first few shots.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Start with the extractor & spring.  The 1911 check is to clip a live round under your extractor hook & see how hard it is to shake it loose.

Also check the inside of your chamber for crud or pits.  Less likely an issue than extractor grip, but it is part of the puzzle.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said:
    Start with the extractor & spring.  The 1911 check is to clip a live round under your extractor hook & see how hard it is to shake it loose.

Also check the inside of your chamber for crud or pits.  Less likely an issue than extractor grip, but it is part of the puzzle.
    Yeah, what he said.  Also make sure your breech face is clean and smooth and clean really well under the extractor claw.  Sometimes carbon hardens in there.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Also make sure your breech face is clean and smooth and clean really well under the extractor claw.  Sometimes carbon hardens in there.
    This. I have had exactly two instances of extractor problems, and both were due to crud under the extractor.

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    They're a hard spot to clean.
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 566 Senior Member
    I'd start by cleaning really well where the cartridge sits. Looks to me as though there is a lot of  carbon build up and maybe stressed fractured metal there.
    They're a hard spot to clean.
    I have steel dental pics that I buy on Amazon or eBay and they make short work of hard carbon fouling in tight places.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,397 Senior Member
    Regarding removing crud/carbon fouling from those hard to reach places. Science&Surplus and Amazon sell cheap Chinese dental pick instruments made of stainless steel for cheap. Works on pistols, rifles, and shotguns in those hard to reach places. Think outside the box. :)
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,966 Senior Member
    edited February 24 #14
    bellcat said:
    What would be your thoughts on a jam like this? It is a Star 30 M.
    im thinking extractor or magazine? I’ve used several types of ammo. As soon as I hit the mag release it closes up.

bellcat said:
    Not a loaded round.  It is spent.   Thanks for the input, a little more to work on I guess.  Sometimes it'll shoot 10-15 in a row with out jamming.  The jams always occur in first few shots.
    Sounds like two different problems.
    The extractor failing to extract does seem like a crud or spring tension problem somewhere.
    The slide closing when you press the mag release seems like a different problem.
    I'm not familiar with the Star 30M. How does it slide lock?
    (Star 30M)

I'm guessing it goes to slide lock like a 1911. Take the mag out and lock it back manually. If it stays back fine, if not, check the slide lock notch for rounded edges. It may be that it needs the help of the mag spring tension to keep it locked back.
    Without pictures of the possible problem areas, we can only guess.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

edited February 24 #15
    Actually the slide closing when you hit the slide release is normal for this failure.  You have a failure to eject and the next round in the mag can get out so it jams between the breech and the rim of the spent case that is still in there.  When you hit the mag release that takes the live round out of the way so the slide slams on to the empty unejected case.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,966 Senior Member
    Sounds reasonable, I wasn't too sure I was reading the OP right. Thx.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    Sounds reasonable, I wasn't too sure I was reading the OP right. Thx.
    It’s really tough to visualize the whole thing by just looking at a photo and trying to visualize everything that is going on in the pistol.