Home Main Category Hunting

Well, at least it wasn't a .270!

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 24,656 Senior Member
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
)O(

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,832 Senior Member
    A tool is inanimate.
    The person using the tool animates it. For good or bad. Right or wrong. Effective or not.

A single shot 22 rifle is better than an empty hand when that hand is in need of assistance.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,374 Senior Member
    interesting read
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I remember hearing of this, but I don't recall ever reading this account.  I do recall hearing that an Indian woman shot the bear with a .22 rifle in the manner described in the article.

Can you imagine finding yourself in her situation?  I doubt that many of us, myself included, could have handled it anywhere near that well.

I also wonder if one can find .22 long or short ammo any more.  I remember it being available when I was a boy in the 60s.

Now, where can I get my hands on some of that whiz-bang ammo?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,832 Senior Member
    You can still get longs and shorts. I have some of modern manufacture by Aguila and CCI..
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Shorts definitely still exist.  By all  accounts, they are still pretty popular for dispatching critters in traps.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,656 Senior Member
    Yep. I have a NAA .22s revolver and have plenty of shorts for it. CB shorts in particular are easy to find. Long can be found with ammoseek.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 840 Senior Member
    Now, where can I get my hands on some of that whiz-bang ammo

I know a guy......

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I remember hearing of this, but I don't recall ever reading this account.  I do recall hearing that an Indian woman shot the bear with a .22 rifle in the manner described in the article.

Can you imagine finding yourself in her situation?  I doubt that many of us, myself included, could have handled it anywhere near that well.

I also wonder if one can find .22 long or short ammo any more.  I remember it being available when I was a boy in the 60s.

Now, where can I get my hands on some of that whiz-bang ammo?
    CCI still makes a bunch of different Long and Short .22 loads from the quiet low power CBs to some pretty hot stuff in the smaller Short case.  Don't make the mistake of thinking all .22 Shorts are quiet.  I did...  If you take note of the picture JunkCollector posted the Whiz-Bang stuff is "High Velocity".  Only the CB loads are "quiet".
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    What I remember most about 22 shorts and longs, especially shorts, is that they were prone to fouling the barrel rather badly.  Actually, it is probably more the chamber than barrel, as the chamber is cut for long rifles and the shorter shells nick the edge of the chamber ever so slightly as they are fired.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    What I remember most about 22 shorts and longs, especially shorts, is that they were prone to fouling the barrel rather badly.  Actually, it is probably more the chamber than barrel, as the chamber is cut for long rifles and the shorter shells nick the edge of the chamber ever so slightly as they are fired.
    Yep.  If the chamber is cut for Long/Long Rifle the Shorts and the CBs will leave a hard little ring of lead/carbon in the chamber just ahead of the case mouth that will make it a PIA or sometimes impossible to chamber a long case until you clean it out which can be tough!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,656 Senior Member
    Just like .38sp in a .357.

)O(