Home Main Category Clubhouse

Beef ribs

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 11,358 Senior Member
Our local Costco has started selling beef ribs.  Been planning to smoke these three bones all week, but then the kiddo tells me he is giving up red meat for lent. 

Too bad, kid... cuz this looks like it’s  turning out awesome

This is my second batch of beef ribs. First run a couple of weeks ago was outstanding. This one I’m doing slightly different without a foil wrap for an hour in the middle.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,723 Senior Member
    Main I LOVE beef ribs!!!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 622 Senior Member
    I did beef and pork ribs for Super Bowl Sunday. I smoked them for 4hrs then Sous Vide for 20. There was no left overs. 

My only complaint with beef ribs is the amount of meat. Some will have barely any and some have plenty. I’ve become very careful when buying them. 
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,318 Senior Member
    I do pork ribs a lot, and love them. My wife makes the best dry rub on the planet.

I've done beef ribs 3 times in my life, and just have never felt the love. I don't know if it's the way I cook them, or just my feeling toward beef ribs in general.

If anybody has a recipe that they think will change my attitude, I'm all ears.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member
    I do pork ribs a lot, and love them. My wife makes the best dry rub on the planet.

I've done beef ribs 3 times in my life, and just have never felt the love. I don't know if it's the way I cook them, or just my feeling toward beef ribs in general.

Mike

Take 'em off of the cow first.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,217 Senior Member
    My Mom used to make braised short ribs with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes....a real favorite...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    I love beef ribs any which way... smoked, roasted, or braised.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jayhawker said:
    My Mom used to make braised short ribs with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes....a real favorite...
    I've had them that way, and love them. Just couldn't get them right on the grill.

For a twist on your Mom's recipe, try the same with pork neck..

Mike
    N454casull
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    I did beef and pork ribs for Super Bowl Sunday. I smoked them for 4hrs then Sous Vide for 20. There was no left overs. 

My only complaint with beef ribs is the amount of meat. Some will have barely any and some have plenty. I’ve become very careful when buying them. 
    Get the country style...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,217 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    I've had them that way, and love them. Just couldn't get them right on the grill.

Mike
    That's a great idea!

My Mom was a Seventh-Day Adventist, so there was no pork in the house...
    I didn't taste bacon until I was in Basic Training in 1969...never looked back after that...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,358 Senior Member

Well, they turned out just about perfect!

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,325 Senior Member
    Showed your pics to the Mrs.  Guess what I will be making over the weekend if our Costco has them.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I was at Sam's today and they had prime whole beef briskets for $3.38/lb. I was super tempted but got a busy weekend coming up. That, and they are 19 freaking pounds and I really need to cook up the case of rib tips I got first.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,253 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

I didn't taste bacon until I was in Basic Training in 1969...never looked back after that...
    I'm sorry you had to suffer thru that terrible child abuse!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Jayhawker said:
    Jayhawker said:

Mike
    That's a great idea!

I worked with a Master Gunnery Sgt in New Orleans who was married to an Okinawan lady. She did pork neck, potatoes, and sauerkraut all boiled. Sweet Baby Jesus.....she had a touch. I likely ate it 50 times, and to this day I've not had it since and I miss it more than I miss fried bluegill.

I have a German niece-in-law that, once again, boils her beef roasts. You'll never taste better. Apparently boiled is looked down upon only in the USA. The rest of the world knows how to do it.

Mike
    N454casull
    I was at Sam's today and they had prime whole beef briskets for $3.38/lb. I was super tempted but got a busy weekend coming up. That, and they are 19 freaking pounds and I really need to cook up the case of rib tips I got first.
    I remember when I could catch brisket on sale for $.89/lb.  I could afford a 20 lb. brisket then.  I don't know why they have become so expensive.
    Jerry

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,938 Senior Member
    Same here.  I remember when brisket was generally considered an inferior cut and was cheap and it seemed like prices skyrocketed quickly. We used to buy 2 or 3 briskets at a time at Sams for cookouts and parties just cause it was an easy way to feed a crowd.  Baby back pork ribs also jumped up in price as their popularity increased.  Maybe BBQ had a surge in popularity and people starting figuring out it's not all that hard to cook a brisket correctly.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,938 Senior Member
    Beef ribs is something I've always had a hard time with.  They are either under cooked and tough or over cooked and dry.  Seems like there's a fine line between the two where they come out right, and I never seem to be able to hit it exactly.  That, and it's nearly impossible to find decent beef ribs in most grocery stores.  Gotta go to a higher end store or a meat market for good beef ribs.
    Beef ribs, short ribs, ox tails, skirt steak... they have all gone way up in price! $7/pound for ox tail. Crazy! That $3.38/lb was for prime grade brisket. I can still get choice for $2.50/lb if I shop around-- basically the same price as hamburger these days. If you want to buy that brisket pickled (corned beef) be prepared to shell out at least $4/lb.

Beef is has been pretty expensive in general. Aside from ribs, bacon, and sausage-- pork is a great bargain. When I watch my sales, I can get hams for $1.25/lb, pork shoulders for 99 cents a pound, and pork loins for $1.50/lb. Heck, I have found pork tenderloin for $2.25/lb... all cheaper than hamburger. And sometimes, that is what I do... I get a pork loin and grind the whole thing into burger. What you get is some super lean patties so be careful not to overcook them. McRib fan? Ground pork patty, Hunt's BBQ sauce, pickle, onion.
    -Thomas Paine
    edited February 2020 #20

Mike

I can share what I did.  You basically have to treat it like Brisket with a couple big heat-sinks (bones) inside.  

You have to go low and slow.  

Day before- Score the underside in a crosshatch pattern with a sharp knife.   apply the rub.  Some people like “Dalmatian” (equal parts kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper) for simplicity, I like Dalmatian with onion and garlic powder (not salt) added.  Then tightly wrap or vac seal and put in the fridge.
    Day of- heat up your smoker (not grill) to 230-250 degrees, and smoke for 7-8 hours using your favorite wood.  If you want it ‘fall apart’ tender, wrap in tinfoil for hour 4-5 maybe with a splash of beef broth in the foil.  When it’s “done” (bones almost pulling out), then wrap in foil, wrap in a towel, and put in a cooler (this is called FTC for foil, towel, cooler) for 1-2 hours.  

It’s like brisket on a stick.  

-Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Jayhawker said:

Mike
    The highlighted word might be the problem.  Grills are designed for high temps.  You need a smoker or something designed for low and slow.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Speaking for pork loin, we buy them and cut the loin into cutlets.  My wife chicken fries it.  Damn fine vittles.
    Jerry

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    I remember when I could catch brisket on sale for $.89/lb.  I could afford a 20 lb. brisket then.  I don't know why they have become so expensive.
    It's because they are feeding corn to our vehicles, not our livestock...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Speaking for pork loin, we buy them and cut the loin into cutlets.  My wife chicken fries it.  Damn fine vittles.
    Schnitzel! Delicious.

Some people don't realize a pork loin is the same thing as the center cut boneless pork chops they buy for twice the price.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,790 Senior Member
    We cooked 3 Baby Back and 1 St. Louis rack last weekend. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,871 Senior Member
    when I was a youngster and showing cattle they were trying to breed cattle with smaller brisket because it had so little value. They also came up with new ways to use it and now it is worth much more. It has nothing to do with corn which is quite cheap right now.