Home Main Category General Firearms

Teaching the next generation.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 24,040 Senior Member
Took the boy to the range today for his second time EVER shooting a pistol and FIRST time drawing from a holster. 
He listened well and with only a few tweaks..........became scary. 
We worked on safety and fundamentals of the 4 Point Draw today. Just fundamentals and accuracy. 
I’m a proud father. 

And the results of fundamentals. 

That’s 200 rounds of .22 lr right there!!!

Here are screen shots of his draw video. 
Point 1

Point 2

Point 3

Point 4

Return to holster. 

As a comparison, the far left silhouette belongs to an adult I was working with today as well. 😳
In fairness, he was shooting a .40 S&W while my boy used a .22 lr. But..........fundamentals is fundamentals. 
The boy has skilz waiting to be refined and he is decades ahead of me in opportunity. 
It’s good to be a father. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,829 Senior Member
    And you’re a dammed good one!  Very proud of him!!!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,932 Senior Member
    Lots of Awesomeness right there
    Well done to you both.
    While my boy enjoys shooting now and then. My daughter was more like your boy.  She even impressed the FBI instructor.  
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,831 Senior Member
    Very cool!! Must be good genes!! B)
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,677 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Very cool!! Must be good genes!! B)
    I'm not so sure - there seems to be some kind of inherited skin disorder in Zee's family... ;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Holy crap! a Great job Dad! Your boy is a helluva shooter...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,248 Senior Member
    Excellent! I like the fact that you've first focused on long guns then moved to handguns. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,040 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    Excellent! I like the fact that you've first focused on long guns then moved to handguns. 
    Rifles are decidedly easier to shoot well than handguns. At least to me. 

I figured I’d start them off with rifle fundamentals. Feeling they would transfer over to pistol after a good foundation. 
    Jayhawker said:
    Holy crap! a Great job Dad! Your boy is a helluva shooter...
    He has a good base. A platform to grow from. 
    Diver43 said:
    Lots of Awesomeness right there
    Well done to you both.
    While my boy enjoys shooting now and then. My daughter was more like your boy.  She even impressed the FBI instructor.  
    That’s pretty cool. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Its a very good example of how the shooting life style?  Can be a big part of family time together. 
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    edited March 1 #12
    If you teach them correct the first time and stress the importance of those same fundamentals. They won't know how to do it wrong. (Until they watch their friends 😁)
    Time, desire, opportunity and innate talent makes great pistoleros. Your boy is on the path to be excellent shooter.
    You should be proud.👍

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

I told him to verbalize “Safety Off” and “Safety On”. 
    So he/I knew he was doing it (1911). 

Not something I will have him do in the future. But, I wanted him to train his brain as to the importance. Besides, I was working with the other gentleman as well and while I was working with him, I wanted to hear the “status” of my boy’s gun as he shot on his own as well. 
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,869 Senior Member
    Most excellent! 😎👍
    edited March 1 #15
    I think the dude on the left needs to be working with the 22... 😬 And lots of ball and dummy drills. 
    Jay said:
    I think the dude on the left needs to be working with the 22... 😬 And lots of ball and dummy drills. 
    I have worked with him a couple times. He is a very good martial artist. In the same Brazilian JiuJitsu class as my kids. A good dude. 
    But, smart enough to realize that one doesn’t make the other and has come to me for help in firearms. A work in progress. The anticipation gets him and his trigger pull has some serious bugs to work out. 
    It’s always harder to break bad habits than learn it right from the start. No doubt you’ll get him lined out. 👍 
    edited March 1 #18
    FWIW, knowing full well you know the game..

For shooters having that problem, we slow to a crawl. Crawl, walk, jog, run. 

Zero and reset drill - draw a small circle or dot on the target. Have the shooter go through the draw and align sights on the dot. On command, fire one round at the dot and HOLD THE TRIGGER ALL THE WAY BACK, realigning sights on the dot and holding there. From that point on, each command means SLOWLY release the trigger until reset is reached, then SLWOLY press the trigger to fire the 1 round commanded, holding the trigger to the rear again and realigning sights on target. Repeat.  A lot. Once we have a zero and good understanding of trigger reset, we move on..

Next, new small dot to aim at. Shooter draws and aims. With their finger in register, I come up and pull the trigger for them, slowly. No anticipation of the shot there. Learn how that feels. Move on...

Ball and dummy drills, trigger controlled backward and forward. Identify front sight movement on every dummy round. Then come up with a game or two. Competition drives a lot of guys to do better. Pick up pace as ability improves. 

Just thinking “out loud.”
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,647 Senior Member
    His form looks good, tough to be smooth and go through a growth spurt at the same time, testosterone is some strong stuff
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    Fantastic groups.  The boys is combat ready...
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.