Home Main Category Hunting

Can I shoot them in the air?

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,815 Senior Member
Should I wait till they land?

Hunting has been slow this year and the freezer is thinning out, I need to restock. I was thinking reindeer would fit the bill well. In Pa they're not listed as a game animal and they're an invasive species. I would be doing the favor if I cull a few!

Should I bait them?
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    Sky-bust 'em if your skill set allows. I always found it unsporting to wait until the landing gear is down and they're committed.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,452 Senior Member
    On the ground or in the air, its all fair.

I have baited in the past, mostly oatmeal with red and green sprinkles. The kids have to wear Santa hats and sing Rudolph while I make it to make it work, and it only seems to bring them in once a year.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,885 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #4
    They're sure to land some place inconvenient.

Park the truck next to the down slope of the house and shoot em' off the roof.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,326 Senior Member
    I use my Trap shotgun!  Works like a champ 😁
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    What are you guys using? They are only tiny reindeer, all eight of them.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,386 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:

Truth, Justice, and The American Way.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Diver43 said:

Truth, Justice, and The American Way.
    I was going to recommend #4 lead shot, but okay........

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,963 Senior Member
    One shot, one kill.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    One shot, one kill.
    The Garand would be slightly problematic on those foggy Christmas Eves because you need a ninth shot for that prissy prima donna Rudolph.  In itself, this shouldn't be much of a problem as the sleigh will get slower as the weight of dead reindeer increases, giving you time for a reload.  The real trouble is that, on those foggy Christmas Eves, the M1 does not readily allow mounting of thermal sights.

You'll also want the 16" blade M1905 bayonet, not one of the later 10" ones.  While the REINDEER are tiny, the fat man driving them is pretty thick. . . 

WWJMBD?

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,067 Senior Member
    Mission Accomplished 💪
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Freezer said:

Hunting has been slow this year and the freezer is thinning out, I need to restock. I was thinking reindeer would fit the bill well. In Pa they're not listed as a game animal and they're an invasive species. I would be doing the favor if I cull a few!

No need to bait 'em. I mean ya can if ya want, but it's a waste of time. Just get up on your roof wearing your red and white camo and wait till their close on approach. As for guns, hell even my .270 will take down a rain deer. Well, at close range anyway.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Freezer said:

No need to bait 'em. I mean ya can if ya want, but it's a waste of time. Just get up on your roof wearing your red and white camo and wait till their close on approach. As for guns, hell even my .270 will take down a rain deer. Well, at close range anyway.

Shoot the rear one first, and work your way forward. Don't shoot Rudolf, he's the lead beacon and also he's a celebrity.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Has the Air Force done a study on the performance characteristics of a reindeer-drawn sleigh?

The Curtiss P-40 was a superior performer to the P-51 if you kept it to lower altitude and below 250mph

The P-51 was faster, better at altitude, and had the range to pursue long distances.

A sleigh drawn by two columns of reindeer is a very narrow target, which suggests that the tightly-clustered nose armament of the P-38 Lightning, might offer advantages.  Conversely, the wide-spread eight .50 calibers of the P-47 Thunderbolt may provide a better shotgun effect if those reindeer are highly maneuverable (probably determined by the present-load of the sleigh more than anything else).

The P-39 Airacobra was kind of a slug, but it had that 37mm cannon in the nose - one and done.

Or are these reindeer more like the German jets that outperformed all the fighter assets we had at the time?  In that case, strategic bombing of the North Pole is the only practical solution. :D
    WWJMBD?

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,815 Senior Member
    I screwed up! I had the perfect position under the eve of the 6x54 foot roof over the room addition and shed. Their approach would be from the shed side with a lot of room to land, It was a very foggy night here in Pittsburgh. I decided to wait till they landed. I chose my Savage 99 and Ruger Security Six. I figured I could start with the intoxicated red nose idiot in the front and work my way back since they couldn't get a running start with their dead buddies in front of them. I'd have no problem finishing off the shocked followers then hold the illegal alien until the cops arrived. The plan was set and I sat shivering under the eve when I heard their approach. The red light was on as they started their decent and glide approach. Then it happened! That old fat fellow hollered, "Pull up Rudolf….This house is on the naughty list!" 

Next year I use the Beretta or maybe buy a Sega!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,963 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    zorba said:
    One shot, one kill.
    The Garand would be slightly problematic on those foggy Christmas Eves because you need a ninth shot for that prissy prima donna Rudolph.  In itself, this shouldn't be much of a problem as the sleigh will get slower as the weight of dead reindeer increases, giving you time for a reload.  The real trouble is that, on those foggy Christmas Eves, the M1 does not readily allow mounting of thermal sights.

You'll also want the 16" blade M1905 bayonet, not one of the later 10" ones.  While the REINDEER are tiny, the fat man driving them is pretty thick. . . 

Crap! Mine's the 10" version! Do you think Rudolph would be warned and try to pull up/away when he heard the PING!?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,067 Senior Member
    Those were the days... 😁

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    A blind on the roof in the form of a chimney is needed to bag them...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,512 Senior Member
    Ha!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I think we need an enterprising videographer to splice together choice clips of Santa's sleigh airborne into a scene from a certain movie from 1984:

Start with Jennifer Grey saying "Oh my God!", and roll film from there.  What do you think - colorful package bombing in place of rockets and MG's? :D
    WWJMBD?

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,815 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #21
    When shooting flying reindeer I believe the correct strategy would be to take out the lead deer first. He will loose altitude and maybe tangle in the feet of the next two. The cluster that would follow would be worth filming. Alas there may be real problem if there's a bag limit. Since you would need a cop to hull the fat little illegal alien away he might have something to say about the size of the harvest.... unless he would accept fresh venison as a bribe.