Home Main Category Hunting

Suggestions for stopping raccoons...

2»

Replies

• Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 623 Senior Member
    PVC pipe over the leggs it’s cheap and difficult to climb. Another easy way is to suspend between 2 trees. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    The PVC might work, but there aren't any trees close
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,066 Senior Member
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

As I said earlier, it's a 30 mile/ 45 minute drive from here and I don't have the time to spare running up here every morning and evening to check traps
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    The PVC might work, but there aren't any trees close
    That’s a easy fix if there’s no trees. A couple 4x4, 6x6, some old power poles shove them in the ground instan suspension. Im not sure where you’re located if you have bears just make sure to use a couple bags of quickrete and put them at least 2 foot deep and 10’ apart on the poles.
    not an option either

If suspending isn’t possible I would just slide pvc over the legs..
    If the spike strips I put on there last weekend doesn't work, that, and/or the slinkies will be my next step

Also on the pvc sleeves get the bottom of the pipe 10-12 inches off the ground. That can be done several ways. Have used short sections of light chain and suspended the pipe from the top of the feeder.  You can also just use something at the bottom to keep the pipe off the ground. 
    thanks

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    Also on the pvc sleeves get the bottom of the pipe 10-12 inches off the ground. That can be done several ways. Have used short sections of light chain and suspended the pipe from the top of the feeder.  You can also just use something at the bottom to keep the pipe off the ground. 
    THAT sounds like a great idea.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #43
    Form a sheet metal funnel around the pole. Look at ships in port, the lines that secure the ship to the dock have a funnel on the line. This keeps rats from climbing the line and getting in the ship. Square or round it doesn't matter, if its square nail it if its round use a hose clamp or duct tape. Have the metal stick out on a downward angle about 8" long. This will work for any climbing critter and its cheap.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    Another solution is the trap they use for beaver, a body trap. It kills the critter quickly and you can leave its body there to show his buddies what happens when the mess with your stuff.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink: